Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Another Drum Sander

Hi to all. As this is my first attempt at posting here I hope I have followed all the rules and I apologise if I have made any blunders.
    Inspired by Sturdees drum sander I just had to have one for myself and here is the results ( hopefully). Frame is made from 50 x 25 RHS. Drum is made from MDF (110mm x 450mm long). Adjusting mechanism is 12mm threaded rod. There is a 12mm nyloc nut embedded in the block (pic 3), this is used as a locking device. Motor is 2hp 2850rpm. Drum speed is 1150rpm. Still have some finishing touches to take care of ( wheels, table edges to be covered with jarrah salvaged from used bbq frames.) Hope you all like. Any questions and criticisms appreciated. Hope the pics are attached.
    This forum is an absolute inspiration. Maybe I will post some of my very amature work in the future.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Good stuff Dazza.

Thats another one of the jobs on my very long list, that keeps on growing

Have you attached the ends of the sandpaper with screws straight into the MDF or is there something a bit more tricky that we cant see in the pics?

A great first post well done welcome

Whats the feed rate like ??

What grade of paper you using on that looks like 120?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
    Good stuff Dazza.

Thats another one of the jobs on my very long list, that keeps on growing

Have you attached the ends of the sandpaper with screws straight into the MDF or is there something a bit more tricky that we cant see in the pics?

Thanks Ironwood. I am using thumb tacks straight into drum to hold paper on (pic7). Works a treat so far.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    A great first post well done welcome

Whats the feed rate like ??

What grade of paper you using on that looks like 120?

Thanks wheelinround. Feeding the timber is done with a push stick. Seems to work OK. I am using 80 grit paper. But is very simple to change grades if need be.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by DAZza49 View Post
    . Feeding the timber is done with a push stick.
    Push sticks are a good idea . There is a recent post with pics of someones fingers that got stuck in a drum sander....... OUCH.

It looks great. The hand with the jet sander was not so great.
    Regards Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Bupton View Post
    It looks great. The hand with the jet sander was not so great.
    Thanks Bupton. I certainly dont want the jet episode to happen to me. In pic 2 you can see where I have mounted the on/off switch at knee height which makes it very easy and fast to switch off should there be a problem. I use a push stick at the moment but will be making some dedicated jigs like the ones Sturdee has. They are the ducks guts in push jigs for a drum sander.

Just a quick update. Fitted some wheels to make it easier to move around. Fitted some jarrah edging to table. Purchased some 80 grit drum sander paper from the sandpaperman. Have used it heaps resurfacing cutting boards ( word gets around they are coming from near and far ) and made a few new ones as well. Plus made a couple of small boxes. Dont think the paper will ever wear out. So far the drum sander is working fantastic. Seems like I go out to the shed just to find an excuse to use it. Heres a few more pics. Cheers

I really like the look of that Dazza. At the community shed we have just bought a commerical version & we've all been itching to make something to run thru it. Its something i'd love to have at home but just can't justify the cost. But this home made version would do a lot of my needs.

Thanks Rattrap. I could never afford to buy one of the commercial types either. This one was built for $200. Which was for a brand new motor, Pillow blocks and a shaft. The rest of the stuff I had on hand and scrounged out of the scrap steel bin at work. It took a few days to build but had fun doing it.Feels good to use a tool that you built yourself. Also I just finished building a sheet metal folding brake and will be posting some pics of it in the metalworking section soon. Next project is going to be a homemade bandsaw. Still gathering together the parts I will need for that one. Stay tuned. Cheers