Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default T Model Ford Fire Truck

Plans were from Prim Mover's plan site. I'm chuffed, as I'm not really experienced, but I sure the 4 year old grandson will love it

Peter

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Star thats excellent

Ok questions

how long did it take?
    paint used?
    tools used?

Finally how easy really was it on a scale of 1 to 10 10 being hardest.

I saw Primemovers stand over the last 2 days even got to chat with him quickly he even popped up to see me. I didn't get time to go back and really go through it with him but saw his version of that plan.

Lovely bit of work there, Peter. The Grandson will be pleased.

See you at Prime Mover's GTG in 2 weeks.
    Brian

Thumbs up

Well done Peter!!

Do I see a fleet of vehicles coming our way??

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    Star thats excellent

Ok questions

how long did it take?
    paint used?
    tools used?

I saw Primemovers stand over the last 2 days even got to chat with him quickly he even popped up to see me. I didn't get time to go back and really go through it with him but saw his version of that plan.
    ---------------------------------
    Ok, let's see if I can answer your questions.

1. How long did it take.

When I first saw Phil's plans I was at the recent Maleny Wood Expo. I admired all his plans but have to admit I thought it was a bit too much for me as I am only finding my feet in this caper.

Then Munrubben posted that he had been over to Phil's place and watched Phil at work. This was a few days before our Brisbane Working with Wood show and I had then arranged with John to see Phil at the show. Phil invited both John and I around to his place for Toy Workshop as I had posted earlier.

I suppose, because we made the Fire Truck and it possibly had some more parts then the other models it took a bit longer. Also factoring the learning curve and some small stuff ups that had to be redone I would say it probably had about 12 hours in it.

Some of that time included learning some new techniques that a more experienced person would already know but I appreciated the chance to upgrade and improve some areas. Overall, I enjoyed the challenge, the full size plans make it easy to follow and are set out in a logical, methodical way. If you work your way through them you will achieve a fair result.

The plans are very forgiving, they are not an engineer's model plan but a plan for children's toys with enough authenticity and detail to make the challenge very rewarding. These toys are meant to be played with, they are sturdy and will also look good on a shelf.

2. The paint used. I tried to stay close to what Phil was doing but also experimented with what I had available but only after assuring myself that what I was doing was an acceptable alternative.

The red and black paint was Acrylic Gloss, I thinned mine down slightly and gave it three coats. The ladder I used some wipe on poly gloss that I had. Then, because I am not that great a spray painter I used some White Knight Acrlic gloss Clear spray pack at about $11.50 a can. I gave it three light coats.

This technique lifts the acrlic paint and puts a bit of gloss into the project. I suppose you could use an enamel paint and that might eliminate the need for the Clear spray but the wait between coats might delete any advantage.

3. The tools used.

The following are what I used but having completed the project you could do it with a minimul tool kit and some sand paper on a stick.

Small bandsaw. You could easilly use a scroll saw or jig saw as the material to be cut is not that dense or thick. A Fret or coping saw would do the job as well but might take a bit longer.

Table saw, but a hand saw would easilly do the job.

Belt and circular sander. or pleant of sandpaper on a stick.

Hole saw for the wheels, drills for the wheel holes, a forstner bit.

Lathe to round off the wheels, but even that could be overcome with a drill press or the wheels held by a bolt in an electric drill and good ol sandpaper on a stick.

4. How easy on a scale of one to ten.

That is a hard question, what is hard for me I would suggest is easy for someone like you, so it is relative. For me, because I knew the end result was going to be achievable because I had Phil and others to fall back on if I had trouble the mind games were not going to beat me.

If you approach the project logically and gather all the materials listed in the cutting list then work through the project then for somebody like me it would be about a five. For a more experienced person it would be approx 2 and for a beginner, providing they were prepared to factor in and benefit from the learning curve somewhere between a seven or eight.

The important thing like all things in life is to be positive and push trough the negative thoughts that inexperiencd people have to put up with.

Peter

Peter many thanks thats a great run down.

I think you have done an amazing job.

I now wish I had had the time to get down to see Phil and spend some time really to look and talk.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Well done Peter!!

Do I see a fleet of vehicles coming our way??
    -----------------

Yes Arthur. I think you might be right. Maybe I have found my niche in this woodworking caper.

With my rapid approach to second childhood I might enjoy making them as well as the child who will be on the receiving end.

Thanks for your kind words.

Peter

Well done Peter, I knew you could do it. I am sure you are delighted with those results. Look forward to seeing more of your toys as you progress with them. Good work mate
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    Star thats excellent

Ok questions

how long did it take?
    paint used?
    tools used?

Peter, sorry if I sound like I am hijacking your thread but just wanted to make a few comments in response to Ray's questions.

Ray!, Peter has done a great job here and answered the questions you ask but just a couple of points.

How long did it take? I think a project such as these toys depends on the level of quality you want to achieve with your work and how much time you personally want to spend making one. I have been playing around with a couple of Phil's toy plans and experimenting with a few things and I find the plans are easy to follow. No measurements to worry about and a very simple concept that works extremely well.

I am only playing around with the plan that I have at the moment and I can cut out all the pieces for the toy in an hour or two ready for applying finishes or assembly. Its difficult to allow for drying time for a finish because it all depends on what you use. Acrylic paints can be re-coated after about 20 minutes whereas some finishes take much longer. Again, depends on what you want yourself but drying times can't really be figured as time spent on making the toy.

Wheels on any toy can be a challenge but this is a toy and as peter says, the plans are "very forgiving." You can make a set of wheels in a few minutes that will compliment the overall project without any problem or you can spend quite a while detailing a model wheel on a lathe that will be absolutely perfect, again depends on how much effort or time you want to put into making it.

I stress a point that Phil (Prime Mover) emphasises "These are toys, not models" and virtually, anything goes. You can just make plain disc wheels if you desire and I have offered these up to the toy trucks and they look just great too however, if you want to make a reasonably nice wheel it can be done quite quickly depending on your own capabilities. A reasonably nice wheel takes me about 5 minutes to complete on the lathe. This could be done as Peter suggested in a drill press or even with an electric drill.

On a scale 1 to 10? Peter rates it as a 5 for himself. Anyone who knows Peter also knows that he is a perfectionist and he will spend time going over something until he gets it right for himself and I guess we all do that. We all have differing levels of acceptance of our own capabilities and we have to arrive at something that we are happy with in our own mind.
    I rate the difficulty level at around 2 and I find the more I play around with the toy plan and experiment, the simpler and easier it becomes.

I think anyone contemplating making anything off a plan of any sort, should always familiarise themselves with the plan first before touching any tools or materials. Read it, study it and go over it a few times until you understand the concept of it, then when you start working on your project, it comes together much easier.

My advice, to anyone, about this particular toy that Peter (Star) has built is...
    If you think you can throw something together in an hour and come up with something like Peter has achieved, forget it. On the other hand,, if you want to make a little boy or little girl very happy with a really nice toy and you are prepared to put in a little more effort, don't hesitate, go for it, you will be hooked on these great toys and will have a really enjoyable experience building one or two or three or four or....

I am working on 3 of the toys at the moment and find it very enjoyable.

Thanks Peter for letting me jump in here and express my opinions.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Peter brought this one around to my place on the weekend to show me. Fantastic was what I said. It looks great, works well, and would give a glint in any little kids eyes (even some adults )

It will certainly be on my list of toys for the grandkids, assuming I get some eventually , I'll then be looking for some payback guidance from Peter
    Neil

All I can say this one must be destined for the outback ,judging by the windscreen washers Just kidding looks great and must be a source of satisfaction to produce such a beauty , cheers ~ John
    G'day all !Enjoy your stay !!!

Wow- Just got onto this Toy.I have been setting up new computer.What a wonderful Toy fire engine.It has a cartoon type of look/design about it.Not the wood block toy look.The paint really sets it off as well
    Congratulations STAR.
    You have bought forumites out of the woodwork onto the great Toy Forum as well
    Back To Car Building & All The Sawdust.

Well done Peter. The finished truck looks great. Do you want a job painting toys. See you in a couple of weeks. Phil

I love your fire truck Peter.
    Might have to have a go.
    I have made other firetruck toys but there can naver be enough when it comes to fire trucks or toys.

The truck looks incredible. Is this available in the market or something you created exclusively for yourself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast