Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default new build:: 1200x2900x150

hi all,

most of you are probably also on the CNCZONE forums but for those that aren't I thought I should post my build here also for the benefit of the local CNC crew.

[below is the thread post on cnczone]

so for some time now (the last couple of months haha) I've been on the forum here and have read countless build logs and threads. I build furniture as a hobby and have been looking for a way to enhance what I already do and a CNC ticks all of the boxes for me. my build is partly inspired by a number of builds on here such as joe's hybrid 4x4, the blacktoe inspired outfeed table cnc, cast cnc upgrade for joes.

for me this machine will be a 2 to 3 stage process. in that I will first build it using steel and mdf with upgrades to both drive mechanics and ally parts as time and money permits. The design itself has been carefully thought through so that the upgrading of parts will be easy.

I picked up the steel bed this morning which measures 1200x2900 and is made up of 12x50 flat bar. its heavy, welded well and straight, so it should make a good base for everything else to hang off.

on each side I have 40x40 rhs box that I will epoxy both sides and then run angle over it for the vgroove bearings.

initial drive mechanics will be chain on x and y with a view to changing this later to RnP. Z will be ballscrew from the get go (and the design of the Z axis in the picture below will most likely change once I source the ballscrew and bearing blocks).

motors an electronics will be nema23 + gecko's + bob.

that's it for now. updates will happen as I get to them.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Are you worried the motors might be a bit too small for a machine of that size?

Why not just go with R&P first im sure it will work out cheaper than buying engineering chain.

not to worried about the motors, dual 425oz-in on the X and then single 425oz-in on Y and Z. the chain will cost less than $100. pretty sure I can't get rack for that price.

Welcome to the forum Newflavour.
    Your machine design looks good and very interested to see photos and progress.
    Cheers,
    Rod