Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Home made hollowing tools.

has anyone got any pictures of hollowing tools that they have made?
    I want to build one but i dont know how i should attach the cutter to the end and what to use for the cutter.
    I was going to try tungsten metal lathe cutters but i thought i read something HSS was better than tunsten for woodturning.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

G'day.

The best homemade hollowing tools I ever made were a couple of small scrapers
    made from bent square section steel salvaged from the tractor feed of
    a big old computer line printer.
    I won a second & a third prize at the Townsville show for a couple of my
    hollow forms that I made with them last century.

I started building a bigger better set based on 1/2 inch round bars that a mate
    bent into shapes with a a gas axe but I got about to the point where you are
    now & I had a chance to try the Vermec deep hollowing tool about 2 years ago &
    I was sold on the idea & bought a set.

There is a review in the February 2004 The Australian Woodworker.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

If you're a member of World of Woodturners website, do a search in the Photo Album section on something like jigs and tools. There are some photos of designs. Also do a google; lots of US turners post photos of their shop made tools.

A local group shape scrapers out of old electric planer blades and fix them to a shaft with a screw.

HSS steel is the most common, but I've heard of carbide and plain ole masonry nails being used.

I've done something like a Bedan for straight hollowing of pencil jars, but for curves my tool of choice is a Munro Hollowing tool.
    Cheers, Ern

Leighd

Pay the Liddelow Woodturning Club at Kenwick a visit on Monday or Thursday mornings or Tuesday evenings about 7 pm to 9 pm. Speak to Bill Q , who has some beep hollowing tools available for sale at $35-00 each. Just to buy the tip that the guy who manufactures them use will cost about that. He has two sizes for sale. The club is close to you and a wealth of info!

Leigh,
    I have a couple of hollowing tools that I made from tool steel blanks which carbatec sell.
    One is a standard bowl gouge type beast 10mm wide, and the other is 25mm wide with the cutting edge extending about 50mm along the side of the steel for working the side of the wood - this one is handy for small long peices where you don't have the room to angle the tool to get the cutting edge to the side of the work.
    Carbatec sell tool steal blanks in a range of sizes, priced from about $8 up to about $25.
    If you want to see the tools that I've made, I'm at Liddlelow Woodturning group in Kenwick every Tuesday night - ask for Paul.
    The tools aside, I would highly recommend the turning group.
    Cheers
    Paul

Where would I find the Liddelow Woodturning group and at what time and what days please.

Macca

Macca,
    The Liddlelow Woodturners group is on Cooper Ave in Kenwick, they operate on Monday and Thursday Mornings and Tuesday night.
    Check your private messages, I've just sent you some contact info.
    Cheers
    Paul