Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Horizontal/Vertical bandsaw

I've just bought a bandsaw similar to this

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=B006#

They have a table so they can be used as a vertical bandsaw. I was wondering if anyone has tried using a 1/4" blade in this machine for cutting metal?
    Also if anyone has a place around Ringwood to get blades?

Thanks

Stuart

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I have owned the smaller veriosn of this saw for decades and run wood blades as well, but not ones that are smaller. Most of the time the teeth run off the edge of the wheels so I wonder how the smaller blade would go ( eg: could it damage the wheels- long term?)

Sorry can't be any more help.

Hi Stuart, I have a similar one but smaller, mine takes the 1/2 inch blades by 1645mm long, I did use a 1/4 inch blade to cut 3/4inch brass, it worked fine as long as you don't back the work out, it was pulling the blade out, I think the blade teeth ride on the rubber lining on the wheels, which is not a good thing for the rubber, and if you pull it back it grips the rubber and works it's way out of alignment, the brass I cut had a lot of turns and sharp corners to negotiate,I think for thinner materials should not be to much of a problem, but I would not use it all the time if I can avoid it, I got my blades from a saw sharpening place here in Brisbane, they make them to whatever size you want.
    Cheers, Richard.

I wanted to try the 1/4" blade because I doubt a 19mm blade will be able to turn corners very well, but as this bandsaw has steel wheels I might give it a miss for the minute unless I have to.

Thanks guys

Stuart

Specialty Saws in Coolstore Rd Croydon can make up any blade that you want. Tell them the length you need or give them an old blade to measure, and tel them what you want to cut, (material, thickness, and type of cut/bend radius etc) and they will reccommend a suitable blade configuration (material, blade width, tooth arrangement) to suit, and make blades for you. Cheaper than mass produced blades (if you can get them) and top quality blade stock from Europe or US. Primarily catering to industry so can't afford to stuff about with poor quality stock, but still small enough to be willing to do jobs for the hobbiest.

Default Can cut steel

Hello

My saw is the old model that yours replaced, think it is a 7LA. I cut steel with mine, cut solid up to inch and a half, cut bar, cut RHS, cut alloy tube, cut brass, cut galv pipe. The original blade was set up for wood I think, ditched that and bought one of them long lasting BiMetal blades to cut steel. Got just over two years service life out of that blade, always used cutting fluid and never left the saw by itself to work away, only allowed light pressure on the material to cut.

Only bitching about the saw is the cutting fluid dries up and fouls the suds pump which then requires a strip down, clean out to get going again.

DD

Thanks Malb, I'll duck down in the morning and see how I go.
    Stuart

Hi DD
    I was told that its never had suds in it, I think it is the original blade. The pump still works so it should be ok once I fill it up, then I'll keep an eye on the level.

Hey another question, What oil should be in the gear box?(I don't have the manual). I guess if its had as little use as I think it has it doesn't really need an oil change but I guess it cant hurt.

Thanks
    Stuart

Dave J Guest

Hi,
    You can get a manual to down load on line from Grizzly in the US. They have band saws that are pretty much the same, the electrics will be different but every thing else will be similar.
    Dave

Hi Dave
    Downloaded. That will answer most my questions.
    Thanks
    Stuart

Correct me if I'm wrong but the "power switch" in the wiring diagrams turns the power on and off to the "pump switch"
    http://cdn2.grizzly.com/manuals/g0561_m.pdf

Stuart, I have to make a correction in my post I mentioned that mine had rubber lined wheels , well it does not, I was thinking of my GMC little wood bansaw, sorry, I'm a year older now
    Richard.

The wheels on the band saw have groves cut around them at about 1/4" and 1/2" from the flange, I wonder if thats for the teeth of thinner blades to sit in. I'll ask the guys at Specialty Saws on Monday as they arent open on Saturdays. That just leaves the gearbox oil, the grizzly machines have grease but mine is oil, I guess almost any gearbox oil will do for the about of work I'm every likely to give the saw.