Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I am not sure but I think the chisels that Jake has from Ebay ( sold by Dicks Tools in Germany) are a totaly different chisel than that sold by Mcjing here in Aus.
    Can anyone confirm this for me.
    Thanks
    Terry

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

No idea, but it is quite likely. I have been told that China is a fairly big place... And if it is true that these chisels are made by artisans, each one will be different anyway. My comment about the 20 years was about the development of the industry, nothing to do with the skills of artisans. People in Milan, Toledo, Damascus and Japan have been producing amazing steel for more than 600 years.

I do agree that paying $45 for a handle and a perfect grind is absurd in relative terms because it is nine times the basic tool's price, but in absolute terms, Jake, for a 60+ years old hobbyist who sees less value in acquiring periferal skills and has more money and less time to spend it than a young bloke, it is still a reasonable proposition. The information revolution is quickly improving the transparency of the market, the sheep will soon be sorted from the goats. For example, now that I have sharpened and tested a set of 5 Marples that I had bought second hand for $25 almost as a charity because everybody was saying that they are no good, I can say that I find them very good for solid work on large sculptures. They are certainly not good for netsukes, though.

I have to be careful I don't come accross like a knowitall. I'm quite new to carving, and surviving partly cause I've become a cheap skate.

anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by TonyFawaz View Post
    I don't think that matters. quality is more important than tradition
    yeh, but I think what tends to happen is the more the tradition the better the quality. and I sense the improvement modern steelworking brings isn't like 40% .....its more like 2 - 5% or whatever (uno, something thats hard to sense)

look, it doesn't matter anyway.

I just thought it be helpful to discribe my results and I'm not going to fib out of embarrisment for wasting money either. if they were crap I'd say as much.

the blades are holding up well.....I've got one pfeil, and in all honesty, if anything the chinese blades seem to sharpen better off the beltsander/buffing wheel than the pfeil. they feel a touch harder

I'm off, have a good day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12