Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: curly brushbox

Default curly brushbox

Hey Travis and Ed,

check out this brushbox board, 12" x 1" [approx], some are over 2.4 long.Attachment 144340

Attachment 144341

Attachment 144342

Attachment 144343

Attachment 144344

Attachment 144345

Attachment 144346

There's a stick of blackbean [6x1] in there somewhere, and some dark camphor laurel.
    [oops sorry, camphor was missed]
    enjoy,

richie
    Last edited by richie47; 11th August 2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: correction

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ahhhh Brushbox, the natural enemy of the handplane......

Looks great when you can get a nice surface finish on it though

I love a set of tray gates like that one

Quote Originally Posted by itsposs View Post
    I love a set of tray gates like that one
    Old bit of camphor I had hanging round - got enough for another set if you want to call by. Not too exy. Had good colour that log.
    [The other side's gonna look pretty daggy til I can get around to it]

cheers,

richie

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Brush View Post
    Ahhhh Brushbox, the natural enemy of the handplane......

Looks great when you can get a nice surface finish on it though
    Yes my old Stanley 127 hates me now. A 12"x1" board!

r

Looks nice rich would come up real nice and quilted if it was sanded to a real fine grit. it is just amazing how good some bits of wood can come up.
    I am told that sharpening handsaws is a dying art.... this must mean I am an artisan.

Get your handsaws sharpened properly to the highest possible standard, the only way they should be done, BY HAND, BY ME!!! I only accept perfection in any saw I sharpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Edwards View Post
    Looks nice rich would come up real nice and quilted if it was sanded to a real fine grit. it is just amazing how good some bits of wood can come up.
    Yes I was quite pleased with it, sanded down to 60, then a runover with 120 on the belt and hit it with some turps for the pic.
    Didn't really use my Stanley 127, my Jap smoothing plane with the blade reversed for scraping would have worked tho.
    Pretty eh.

cheers,

rich

Thumbs up

Love it!! Love Brush Box, one of my favourite timbers.

Did a floor in Coffs Harbour with BB cut from a tree that had grown on the side of a swamp. It had the most amazing colour variation.

Rich, I can imagine that there should be some really good Camphor down your way with good colour. Every time i drive dow to Grafton I eye of some of those big old trees on the side of the road.

Fellow at the Macadamia Castle had some nice camphor slabs for sale at one time. Bit exy, but nice.

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Love it!! Love Brush Box, one of my favourite timbers.

Did a floor in Coffs Harbour with BB cut from a tree that had grown on the side of a swamp. It had the most amazing colour variation.

Rich, I can imagine that there should be some really good Camphor down your way with good colour. Every time i drive dow to Grafton I eye of some of those big old trees on the side of the road.

Fellow at the Macadamia Castle had some nice camphor slabs for sale at one time. Bit exy, but nice.
    Well he'd be just a retailer, hence the markup. Or selling some for a mate.

I'm just off the highway south of there behind Tintenbar, give me a pm when you're next coming through and call by....got some quite nice dry timbers, rosewood, teak, white [yellow] cedar, beech, camphor, blackbean, and of course the brushbox. About a cube of red cedar too. Been sitting in the old pigsty for 20 years. [my super]

Those big roadside camphors can be trouble too mate. I've found fist-sized lumps of basalt 10 ft up in forks, almost grown in, while milling them.
    Got a few on the farm still to cut - not so big but can be well coloured sometimes. Personally I like the creamy white sapwood in the bases of these big camphor trees, the quilting can be superb because of the compression.
    I know it's a "weed" [introduced] but it could be an excellent plantation tree. Would need serious managing though.

And I laid my dad's floor in brushbox 35 years ago - it's pretty.
    But the best floors round here are teak, wonderful to dance on, it has a natural oil and can be so slick as to be dangerous. All the halls I've been in locally have been teak. [Flindersia australis] The fishing boat builders in Smith Drive [Ballina] used many cubes of it.

Fer what it's worth, cheers,

richie

That's really nice stuff!! Should be grown more in plantations,it can be stunning on the quarter.Have a monster 'Box"in front yard,around 1300mm d.b.h,and it has similar figuring(branch feel off revealing figured end grain).Love the pics,Love the wood
    Mapleman

If I run out of stuff for the TV unit I'm building, I'll know where to visit. I also like Crows Ash (the teak?), I had some in the last house and used it to fit out a walk in robe with hanging space, looked really nice against the brushbox flooring!

Thumbs up

Lots of old dance floors were also done with Tallow Wood, every bit as slick as Teak. Just add Popps for real fun!!

In Queensland A few old timers I have talked to regarded Crow's Ash as a super timber for dance floors.

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Lots of old dance floors were also done with Tallow Wood, every bit as slick as Teak. Just add Popps for real fun!!

In Queensland A few old timers I have talked to regarded Crow's Ash as a super timber for dance floors.
    Well I guess, at 63 this year, I'd rate as an oldtimer too but I still love dancing Swing flatout. Thats "jitterbug" to the older folks among us....And on teak [Crow's Ash] too. You're right about the Tallow, very good dancefloor material.
    Sounds like you've been out there a bit too.

Must say it's gratifying to get responses like this to good timber, thanks guys for all your comments.

[NOW COME DOWN AND BLOODY BUY SOME!!!!]

Just kidding.

Best to all,

richie