Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Hammer C3 31 Looking to buy

I am looking to buy a Hammer C3 31 combination machine.
    Can any one tell me what is the minimum room I need in my workshop to accommodate this machine?
    Any secondhand sellers out there?
    Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I am looking to buy a Hammer C3 31 combination machine.
    Can any one tell me what is the minimum room I need in my workshop to accommodate this machine?
    Any secondhand sellers out there?
    Thank you.
    If you can afford that saw,you can afford an extension on the workshop
    Back To Car Building & All The Sawdust.

How big is the slider on the hammer?

I have a minimax smart CU300 in my shed, its 7x5m. I have the saw in a spot where is can cross cut an 8x4 sheet, to rip it i just open the roller door..

Heres a pic from the workshop page on my blog:

joez

you don't need much room, depending on what you want to do (dress a 6m long piece of timber you need 12m+) Send me a Pm if you want more info I'm in Melbourne and have one.

Thank you Eastwing. I am new to this- what is a Pm?
    My workshop is 5mX5m. I have built a work bench 1.9mX.09m that needs access from all four sides. I looked at separate table saw,Jointer and thicknesser from Catrba-tech and I don't have enough room for all three machines so I thought that a combination machine will be more space efficient.
    I came across the Hammer on the web and went to see one at Felder. It looks a very good machine. Do you agree?
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Depends on what size stock you want to cut. I have the c3-31 perform with the 2.5m sliding table. To take full advantage of this (ie working with 2400x1200 sheets) it needs at least an area of about 5m x 3m. You also need to allow enougth room to get around the planer side of the machine.
    I have the optional rolling carridge fitted to my machine so i can move it when i have to.

Dov, a PM is a 'private message'. Click on Eastwings name on the left, and choose 'send a private message' to PM him.

to answer your other question - is the C3-31 a good machine? I'd say it is. I ended up going for it's big brother Felder KF700 and have since bought an AD741. I fit these in my 7m x 4m shed along with a bandsaw, lathe, dust extractor and other toys. Is it ideal? No. A 100m x 50m shed would be better , but hey, I'd rather have these, and fight the space, than have smaller, less-cabable, and less accurate machines, with room to spare.

I work on the theory that once I have too many tools for the space I have, then it's time for a new shed. If you go the other way and build the new shed first, chances are you won't have the budget for good quality machinery.

If you bought one, in your shed you will struggle to cut a full sheet 2400 x 1200, but somehow I manage to get by (albeit with a lot of cursing that I NEED MORE ROOM!!) but what shed-a-holic doesn't complain about that just about once per day???

Thank you Timber nut.

G'Day

I chose the C3 31 Comfort because I have limited space with no opportunity for expansion. You need about three meters in width and six meters in length as "operating room". You could probably get away with about 2.6m width but it would be squeazy. I can move things around to get up to about 13 meters length for ripping tasks.I wouldn't try using this machine without having 3 meters out either end of it. It's just too limiting in terms of what timber you can work with.

I know of plenty of people who open the main door on their shed to be the "infeed" side for machining timber. This isn't ideal because of the multiple hazards it creates but if you can manage them it's one solution.

I too initially wanted separate machines. I drew up plans and realised there would be no room to actually work if I went that way. I can manage my space by having the C3 31 on wheels and pushing it up against the wall when it's not in use. Another way I considerd to manage my space was to buy two combination machines from Hammer, one spindle moulder/tablesaw and the other a planer/thicknesser. This was better from a "working room" perspective but in terms of overall space efficiency was inferior.

You may get lucky and find a secondhand unit. In the whole eighteen months I was looking only one came up though and it was advertised and sold before I even knew about it. It's much more likely you'll find one of the older, larger Felder machines. These can be an excellent buy as the engineering on them is superb. Felder tend to buy up the secondhand units and resell them themselves after refurbishing them.

I would have loved to buy a couple that I saw but with the limited width I have it would have been too awkward.

Cheers

Horaldic

Dov, I was lucky enough to pick up a second hand C3-31 from a fellow forum member. I think it is an excellent machine - far exceeds my meagre abilities. Mine is in my double garage workshop - which I share with other stuff as well. Space was a big issue for me, which is why I bought this type of machine. Mine is on lockable castors which I would highly recommend. Like others here I also open the garage door when I need to cut full sheets or long pieces. I've got the full extension (can't remember what it is called) sliding table, and I've used it to but full sheets, but it can be difficult to maneouver them inside my workshop so I've decided from now on that I'm going to get half sheets unless I need full length bits.

You can take the extension tables off and push the machine over to one side when not in use, but it is a bit annoying to do that often if you need to switch back and forth.

I would recommend doing a floor plan of your workshop to work out where the machine will be when in use but also when not in use.

The other thing to consider is getting the machine home. They weigh about 700kg, and access to my shop was not possible for a 'normal' forklift, so it was necessary to get creative.

Fantastic quality machine, really robust and well made. I love mine - my only complaint is that I don't get to spend enough time with it...
    Bob C.

Never give up.

Hi Poppa,

Follow this link. It will give you an idea of the 'footprint' of the C3-31:
    http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8OFoTOj...%20confort.skp

You'll need to have Sketch Up (free download and well worth it) to open it.

Thank you I have sketchup and it helped a lot.

Dovetail - that link doesn't work for me. are there any other skp files for Felder gear available? I'd love to get my hands on some for a KF700 and and AD7-41. If not, then the c3-31 will be pretty similar, but the link doesn't work now.

TimberNut, here is a link to the Felder USA Forum. It's quite helpful if you ignore the banal chit-chat that goes on. The sidebar has links to Files, Photos etc.:

felder-woodworking : Felder Owner's Group

Wallnut is offline He who turns good wood into saw dust

mate, how do you keep that workshop so clean, you must spend more time dusting than working?
    Just jealous, my shed is 11mx9m and not big enough
    Bushy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast