Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Newbie... just starting out...carving

Hi everyone, I've recently decided that I want to have a go at woodcarving. I attended the Woodworking Show in Adelaide a few weeks ago and came over all enthusiastic! I have bought a bit of wood, so am now ready to have a go. I noticed on a Youtube video a carver used a stencil attached to the wood (he was carving a walking stick with a wood spirit, which is what I would like to have a go at). My question is this: what is the best method of attaching the stencil to the wood. Should I glue it on (glue stick?) and if so, how do I remove the residue afterwards. Could I use a label that I can print on via my Inkjet printer? Again, what's the best method of removing the label after carving the outline? I noticed that the carver used something called Mylar transfer film/paper, but have not been able to find a source for it here in South Australia. Any help/advice greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Kerba. Welcome to the forum. Not many carvers and not many from SA, as you can see. To answer all your questions and get you started, the best thing you can do is to have a look here Woodgroup SA Home - wood work clubs in South Australia and see if you can go and see the club most appropriate for you, just as a visitor if you do not want to join straight away. Nothing beats hands-on tuition.

As regards your immediate question, any of the methods you have mentioned will work, methylated spirit generally works for removing gum based adhesives, otherwise good old tracing with copy paper is still the simplest way. Good luck.

G'day Kerba, I dont know too much about hand carving (if I cant buy a dirty big screaming machine to do it then I dont want to know about it) but the mylar transfer paper has been seen in some office supply stores, it can be printed on an inkjet printer I think??, as for attaching it to the timber I think 75mm nails using a senco first fix would suffice!

Smile Thank you

Thanks for responding to my post. I actually bought a piece of cedar on Thursday and have had a go at my first small wood spirit today, using a small, very basic power carving set up (I've been drooling over the Turbo Carver website!). I used the glue stick method and that worked relatively well. We live quite a distance from Adelaide (down on the Southern Fleurieu) so it's not that easy for me to get to classes, but I will certainly try - I agree that hands on tuition is the best thing. I've had a look at the website listed in your post, and I may be able to go to the Southern Woodturners group (I am also interested in turning, especially small items like pens, etc). My father was a wonderful woodworker, and I really regret not having asked him to pass on some of his skills to me - that's the problem when you have kids, work full time etc, and before you know it, it's too late!

Dave50, I take it that you use a power carver?? If so, what sort is it, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again for your replies... much appreciated.

the first machine I grab is a stihl with a 24" bar followed by a makita 9" angle grinder with a homemade power carver blade then various "other stuff" as the mood hits working my way down to a lot of firewood mistakes! sometimes one works and makes it all worthwhile, they say the artist normally see's what is inside the structure before he begins, if there is anything in the wood when I grab it then it is quickly scared out!

Kerba, welcome. If you live to far from a club , then maybe you tube and books are your answer.
    This forum, Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board
    is a great source of information for new carvers. Maybe on the other side of the world but today it is like being next door.
    I hope you find some help somewere.

Regards
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Kerba View Post
    We live quite a distance from Adelaide (down on the Southern Fleurieu) so it's not that easy for me to get to classes, but I will certainly try - I agree that hands on tuition is the best thing. .
    Hi Kerba,

I just noticed this thread. I'm at Waitpinga (just south of Victor Harbor) and I run classes in carving faces into sticks. The attached will give you some idea. Its a post of a project I did on another site. If you are interested in learning this sort of thing, send me a PM and maybe we can get together.

Stickmaking • Login

Default Carving sticks etc

Thanks for your posts... all most helpful.
    @ Whittling: thanks for sending the link. The link took me to a log-in page, so I have registered and should be able to view your post there once my registration has been actived. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    I'm in Yankalilla, so Waits is not that far away from here. I've had another go at using the Dremel for carving today. Didn't stay too long at it because it's just soooo cold down in the shed today - decided that I'd be much better off sticking to embroidery by the fire today!

I'll get back to you once I've had a look at your link.

G`day Kerba , welcome to the forum , lots of ways to carve mate , not always machines though , done a wee bit , and just use chisels and a scapel , as for the transfer thing ,i`m mayby a bit more rugged , just cut it out , and draw around it all with a pencil ,by the time your done and sanded it `s all gone anyway , but it does leave it open to change ,which is what i usually find happens anyhow , as you go along an different ideas come , as i said i`m a bit unconventional in that way ,but if the picture is in your mind then tis just a matter of making it come out , nothings written in stone , but your idea is hiding in there , do my carving with generally a 1/4 '' & 1/8 '' plain ol chisels & scapel that i use mainly for scribing the line , sounds a bit rough , but love the challenge , it`s all a bit third world i know , but look what they can do with little. best of and enjoy .

Hi there Kerba, i'm from SA too and am dabbling around in all sorts of woodworking things at the moment including power carving. i've also got a dremel and am just getting into using all the different bits and pieces that come with it - didnt realise just how useful and fun it would be until u start getting into it!. I have an idea for your transfers - often what i have seen is people just printing/drawing their ideas on pieces of paper and then spraying the other side with a craft adhesive glue (easy to get at craft shops) and then sticking it onto your project so it allows you to trace out/cut pattern with your dremel,scroll saw/bandsaw/ chainsaw !!! LOL. its easy to remove - just peels away cleanly so i've been told (i've just bought a can of the stuff - pretty cheap $11 for aerosol can. Maybe this might be helpful for you?. WE might have passed each other at the show - i was there too, good luck and have fun with your efforts...remember to post lots of pics...inspiration for us all

Smile Back...

Thanks for all your responses! I haven't been back here for a couple of reasons: 1, I haven't been near the shed in the past few weeks because it has been just way to cold to sit down there, and 2, I seemed to have trouble logging in for some reason. Don't know why, because today when I tried again, it worked just fine
    I'm mucked around a bit with carving something into a rolling pin (my husband turns them, and this one had a bad spot in the timber, so he gave it to me to practice on). I'm still a bit wary of cutting away too much material, but I will try to be a bit more adventurous and see what happens.
    Happy woodworking to you all!

Don't be shy to lose wood. Its not gold..

Smile On the Nose!

Hi everyone, I had a go at carving a nose on Sunday. It turned out to be a great nose for a Baboon... pity it is on a woodspirit LOL. Just got to work out how to get the depth right. I've been watching quite a few of the videos on Youtube, and some are really helpful. I have since started a second nose, and will return to that this weekend... let's hope this one is more suitable for a woodspirit! Anyway, I'm having great fun and finding it very relaxing. Thanks for all the words of encouragement.
    Kerba