Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question I'm going to regret this...

Ok.. I know it's a slippery slope etc..

Hoever my company is sending me to Sydney for a couple of days next month and while there I was hopeing to get time to pop into Pauls hardware and pick up a couple of those Mujifandango planes that people are constantly raving about.

My situation at the moment is that I have two hand planes, both are Stanley, a number 4 which is of a recent model and is hardley ever used because it just feels wrong (maybe the plastic handle, I don't know) the other is a 41/2 which I inherited from my father and though it could probably use a new cap iron (terminology could be wrong) it does feel a lot nicer and I'm actually able to get some decent shavings with it.

OK, given the above what would people recomend that I get, given that I will not have ute and a truck load of money with me.

BTW, I am also planning a raiding trip across the border to the Melbourne WWW show so do not want to go overboard in Sydney.

regards,

Himzo.
    There's no such thing as too many Routers

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I was in Pauls a week or so ago and they had quite a few Mujinfang planes in stock. I didnt look closely but there were at least 4 types

Clint

Himzol,

I was in Paul's yesterday and they had heaps of the 11" smoothers left. These are a good buy IMO.

The also had some eastern style jack planes.

PM me if you fancy a beer or something when you're in town.

I work in the CBD so it's easily achievable for me.

Craig

Himzol,

I don’t think you will be disappointed. They are very good planes. $22 each is a real bargain. I have seen them elsewhere for $60, $70.

Quote Originally Posted by craigb

I work in the CBD so it's easily achievable for me. Craig
    Same here

Cheers

Let's know when you hit Melbourne
    - Wood Borer

Most of the latest batch are redwood. Go through the heap looking for planes with the old yellow price stickers, as most of those are rosewood (assuming that you prefer rosewoood over redwood...)

The prices have also gone up - $24 now!

Cheers,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by arose62
    $24 now!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's it. I'm not buying from them anymore. Even though when I got mine (11" smoother) I ordered it late one arvo and got it the next morning and their service was fantastic. I'm not wearing these exorbitant price hikes. If anyone wants me I'll be in Bunnings.

Dan

P.S. Buy the 11" smoother. It's ace.

P.P.S. The guy wants to know what planes he should get. By all means organise to have a beer, but answer the question too.
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

If anything does get off the ground, I would enjoy meeting some of the names I see each day, if I can make it on the day.

Alastair

PS I bought 4 recently. ~ 9" smoother; ~11" smoother, 1" rebate and ~3" high angle. Took me a while to get the hang of setting and sharpening them, but they have changed my take on planing completely. The last 2 are niche applications, which I would not have bought if Pauls weren't giving them away, but having them, I find I pick them up all the time.

The 2 smoothers are used all the time. The longer for flattening, and the shorter, set very fine, for final smoothing. This also, as I have found the 11" to have an aggressive cut, leaving some toolmarks on the surface, which the 9" removes. This is probably more due to my average sharpening skills, than the tool, however.

My handyman Record, purchased 15 years ago in South Africa is being relegated to a scrub plane role, as even after extensive fettling, it is more suited to hogging off wood, than fine work.

Quote Originally Posted by DanP
    By all means organise to have a beer, but answer the question too.
    I thought I did :confused:

From my post:

"I was in Paul's yesterday and they had heaps of the 11" smoothers left. These are a good buy IMO."

[QUOTE=DanP
    P.P.S. The guy wants to know what planes he should get. By all means organise to have a beer, but answer the question too.[/QUOTE]

I am the guilty one - but a beer sounds like a good idea.

Which plane will be determined by the type of work you plan on doing but the suggestions so far seem ideal.
    - Wood Borer

Thanks guys,

Are the ones you have suggested suitable for aussie hard woods as I tend to shy away from things like MDF and pine if I can help it.

I'm not sure if I'm going to have time to get together for a beer as I think I may even be pushed to get to Paul's before closing time on either Monday or Tuesday( I will try however), however that shouldn't stop the rest of you getting together and downing a few. Perhaps you could make it a weekly or fortnightly event.

WoodBorer,

We will be driving over in the very, very, very, early hours of Saturday the 16th. I'm not sure which day I will be at the show, probably Sunday as the other half want's to attack Bridge road and surounding outlet shops.

Himzo.
    There's no such thing as too many Routers

I thought I did :confused:

Craig,

You were really the only one. Not having a dip at anyone. I'm as good at derailing a post as anyone. This post just seemed to get derailed before anyone really gave any sort of answer. I was just trying to give it a nudge back in the right direction.

My own hidden agenda is that I will call Paul's and order more if I know what sort of planes I am calling about. That way I don't look like a fool when I call.

As an aside, Paul's is a prime example of word of mouth advertising. They are doing a rip roaring trade in these planes, basically based on the compliments and comments of members on this board. They truly give excellent service and the prices speak for themselves.

So keep the replies coming and I promise I'll keep my morning grumpies to myself.

Dan

Himzol,

Drop her off in Bridge Road and either catch the tram or drive to Camberwell 15 - 20 minutes away. We can have a chin wag about woodwork and check out your planes.

I will be at the Show on the Saturday and probably Friday.

I will send you a PM with my contact details. Some of the other Melbourne people might want to catch up with you also, they are welcome to drop in.
    - Wood Borer

You pack of mongrels. Just when I was patting myself on the back for having survived the rash of threads on Mujinfangthingoes without actually buying one, what happens, somebody brings them up again and down I went like a shot duck.

Ok so I've just ordered one, and only one, and it was a supreme act of will on my part to resist when the laughing guy on the other end of the phone started telling me what he had there. Its getting to the stage where I cant morally lay s#$% on Derek anymore, and if I thought he wasn't listening I'd tell you about the No3 I got at the markets on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Termite
    ...down I went like a shot duck...

...and if I thought he wasn't listening...

Powerful, is the dark side, yes, hmmm.

He doesn't need to listen, he's using the force :eek: :eek:

Dan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast