Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shelix spiral head cutter blocks

Has anyone imported one of the 8' spiral head cutter blocks to fit the CT 8" jointer machine.
    Is there a particular model "Byrd" you have to specify to fit the CT8".

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I have the Byrd for my 8" Jet. You do have to specify the model. And they are a piece of cake to fit, and the results are stunning.

Hi Lig, did u buy yrs local or bring it in from the US. I know in the Us they state the model of the jet.

I got mine from the Woodworking Warehouse in Braeside. If your near Mordialloc (I am 5min from Pompei's) you are more than welcome to come and check it out.

Hi Sinjin,

Did you get the Shelix cutter block? I'm keen on the same upgrade for my Carbatec 12" and would be interested in your experience. The exchange rate is pretty attractive at the moment.

Cow

Hi, the block to 2 maybe 3 days to get here..looks good. didn't have time to put it in this w/end..
    You have the 12....my great regret was not buying the 12 when i had one offered to me for $1900..ex demo...still spewing..
    I rand bird direct..they were really helpful..told them i was going to get it off Grizzly as it was near a $100.00 US less then Bird and they were fine about it.
    As it is their head that Grizzly sells...make you wonder how cheap they are to produce.
    The Aust guy wanted $1190..for the 8"...sounds a fair mark...NOT..as he had to get it in as well.
    I think all up i paid $330 for the head and i think $120 postage...Dollar was 94 i think.

Great price for the Shelix head. Is it a big job to install it?

That was is a great price. Didn't know grizzly did them so I'll give them a try as well. I tried the Oz outlets and they were both fairly certain I need the generic model for the 12" but they wanted ~$1800. I know they have to make a living but I'm fed up seeing the price of things double in Australia compared to the US or even the UK. The web price from Byrd is US$875.

I thought I'd be happy with the 8" but saw my 12" going for $1500 second hand, the price of the 8" new. It hadn't done much work at all and came with 2 sets of HSS blades and a tungsten carbide set and the guy delivered all 450 kg of it. I'm very pleased with it but changing the blades is a faf.

Wonder is there a market for second hand blades?

You did really well on the jointer...i'm spewing infact!
    i think its a great machine.its longer than the 8' as well. When i did my apprenticeship whats seems a 100 years ago the machines we had seemed like they were 3m beds.

Bird supply Grizzly with some of their heads. If you look at there site it does actually say Byrd Shellix. They have head for the 20' thicknesser going for under a $1000US a week ago..i own the 20' thicknesser. And would like one of those soon
    Byrd are very helpful with the info and will give you everything you need to get the right one.
    As for the mark up here in Aust i don't know what to say...Your right they have to make a living and pay for over heads. But when i rang about the head they said they would have to get it in. But to charge at that time $1180. Aust..was just being silly.
    Anyway Lignum off the forum gave me a demo of his head and it was just terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by TP1 View Post
    Is it a big job to install it?
    A lazy half hour and its in. I was surprised at how simple it was. I have heard the thicknesser heads are a different story. A little more tricky.

I hit my first nail last week. Normally i would be spewing, but in 30 seconds i had the small cutter rotated. $2.50 that nic cost me, compared to the cost of getting 3 blades sharpened and the time to take them out and re-install them. So i figure im already up a hundred bucks on the deal

Just love mine to death. I have never used a jointer so much in my life as i do now. It has become the number one piece of equipment in my shed (even overtaken my beloved Domino )

Try this site guys i found them great and about 1/3 the price was a bit of work taking the old one out and measuring it all up but well worth the wait and hassel oh also go for the shear cut head much smoother and cleaner cut

Woodworking Tool Manufacturer in China

cheers havic

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

So by chance Havoc do u know which one to ask them for a 20' thicknesser?

Just putting my bit in here as I'm keen to follow things. Hopefully I'll be able to get a Byrd for my 15" thicky.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

sinjin unfortunately as there are so many models the only way to do it is to remove old one and use a digital vernier gauge to measure in detail each step so their are no errors its a bit of a pain but well worth it in the end

cheers havic
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Quote Originally Posted by havic View Post
    Woodworking Tool Manufacturer in China

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden">
    I have sent 3 emails to them in the last 5 weeks and still no answer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast