Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer users

Talking Computer users

In this age of advanced technology I am nothing less than amazed at the ability of those of you that have and can learn all the ins and outs of computers.

At my age my learning curve is somewhat flattened and trying to do certain tasks are rather burdensome, but still I keep trying.

I have learnt many things, and I even pass on some of my findings to lesser mortals than myself. However, I reckon that I do not know more than 1% of my machines capabilities.

One of the worst things is going from place to place and then, all of a sudden, what I was trying to achieve happens, but I didn't remember what I did or how it happened.

I need a computer that after I fumble around for awhile it says, "Just exactly what are you trying to do" and then after I tell it in plain words it goes "Oh! Dear, I explained all that last week, but I will do it again for you". Or maybe, one with a bit more patience even.

Peter R.
    Experts agree that the best type of computer for your individual needs is the one that comes on the market about two days after you have actually purchased some other computer.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Peter R

Actually Microsoft Word sort of does that.

Peter,

Three pieces of advice in ascending order of importance :

1) Before you do anything else, learn to touch type. It's not hard, even girl's can do it (sorry ladies, I'm trying to make a point here!).

There are plenty of cheap typing tutor programmes, pick one. (I used Mavis Beacon Teaches typing) and use it. I sat down for half an hour twice a day (at 7.00 am and pm), it took a couple of months till I could type faster than with two fingers, but what also happened was amazing. I found I could work my way round the screen without having to concentrate on where the letters were, and the ease in using the machine increased exponentially!

2) I have a computer NOT a hobby, I have a Mac.

All joking aside, (and I do have a fleet of Macs at home, as well as a network of DarkSide computers in my shop so feel I am qualified to compare!) you won't need to know much if you stay away from Mr Gate's software entirely. And that includes MS Office!!

There are many simpler ways of going computing that the Microsoft one, and they are cheaper too (if you take the cost of software into account).

3) Wear a flame proof suit, because when everyone reads 2) this thread is going to BURN, baby!

Cheers,

Mr 55 words a minute

Big advantage of PC is the absolute volume of software available. Including a lot of reasonable shareware and cheap stuff.

Who needs MSoffice with openoffice.

Pity the linux o\s isn't up to scratch for non nerd users.
    When that happens --
    Bye bye BillyG
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peter R
    I need a computer that after I fumble around for awhile it says, "Just exactly what are you trying to do" and then after I tell it in plain words it goes "Oh! Dear, I explained all that last week, but I will do it again for you". Or maybe, one with a bit more patience even.
    For a moment I thought you wanted a computer to be like a SWMBO but then I saw the bit about patience.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna
    Big advantage of PC is the absolute volume of software available. Including a lot of reasonable shareware and cheap stuff.\
    Yep, I keep hearing that, but am yet to find software (apart from some games) that I can't get free or at very low cost.

If you want to speak with the MS Office Suite "Think Free" will give you an almost identical suite for $50.00 US, but Appleworks is good enough and comes bundled with most Macs (including translators so it can be saved in many formats).

PDF writers, Music, Photo editing, basic graphics...all included with the basic software, and tons of stuff as shareware and free ware too.

I would be interested to find out what I have been missing out on all these years, because from experience, it's usually easier to get (and work out) in the Mac environment.

This is terrible, I am turning into a zealot, and the reality is my opening dig above....I have a computer, not a hobby!

Cheers,

P

I think I'm going to have to complain to on the basis that this thread is getting very political.
    Photo Gallery

May I say, as someone who has spent the last thirty years making his living out of computers that, I HATE COMPUTERS.

I long for the day that it's just like the telly. You turn the effer on and it does its thing. I could not give a rats rectum what the operating system is. Mac, Windows, Linux... It's all bollocks

Quote Originally Posted by craigb
    I could not give a rats rectum what the operatibg system is. Mac, Windows, Linux... It's all bollocks
    Errr..... in my own sweet way....that's what I meant too!

Cheers,

P

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt
    I think I'm going to have to complain to on the basis that this thread is getting very political.
    I will wait until it is mouses at 30'

Just had two IT "ëxperts" out here on the rig. So far theyve succeeded in knobbling the rig supervisor and Logisitics man's LAN access and yesterday they managed to fry two computers in the space of 10 minutes...didnt think to check voltage settings of power supplies before plugging them in.

They tried to get me to handover access to my laptop but I managed to convince them that to do so would result in them both ending up in the same state as the power supplies theyd just fried.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Quote Originally Posted by craigb
    I long for the day that it's just like the telly. You turn the effer on and it does its thing.
    Thats precisely what my Mac does.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

I agree with the advice on touch typing ( I'm ignoring the quip about even girls can do it ) ... got all my typing exams back in the days of manual typewriters and have never ever regretted it.

More guys at work these days can type but I still see some of them pecking away with two fingers... and this is what they do for their day job :eek:

I hate Microsoft Word with a passion. I have to use it at work fairly regularly and even with everything turned off it still makes assumptions about what I was trying to do which were WRONG WRONG WRONG and I have to go back and undo its stupid corrections. Its probably great for writing letters but for technical documents its apalling ( I've used better products 10-15 years ago ). In fact if you guys in Queensland and Western Australia catch the faint sound of swearing on the breeze its probably me deafening everyone in the office in Victoria because Word has decided not to let me save my document. End of Rant

Despite 20 years working in software to me a computer is a tool ... I don't want to have to spend hours frigging with it I just want to turn the stupid thing on and use it.
    no-one said on their death bed I wish I spent more time in the office!

I hate Microsoft Word with a passion.
    Many years ago I found a product called Claris Works, which was cross-platform and cost about one third of the annual Microsoft UPGRADE cost.

It can do 90% of what word, excell, etc can, and since most people only use about 5% of the potential of those programmes it isn't a problem.

There are a number of similar ones around now, but Appleworks (still cross platform) costs $70.00 for a Wordprocessing, Spreadsheet, Database, Painting, Drawing and Slideshow(Presentation) suite. I use them almost exclusively, but when I absolutely HAVE to present something in Excell or Word, I either "save as" or cut and paste.

That is how much I HATE using the bloated overgrown overcomplicated MS products!!

Me? Bigotted? Never!!! I just like stuff that I can use efficiently without having to be an expert.

Cheers,

P

Default oh hum

OPen office will do a lot for u and it's free.

http://www.openoffice.org/

With reference to the original post, a lot of new and older uses would really like a computer that operate like on star Trek, good morning how can i help you ?\\etc

I have been innvolved in programming more usable interafces and what you have described is really the crux of the matter, having the computer let u know how to do something specific whithout you having to remeber what to do or make a decision from avilable options.

It's called USABILITY and was the initial reason that both the MAC OS and windows were originally developed, point and click.

The key for yr currnet stae is just spending time on yr machine and keeping it simple, all the info u need is on the net, tho yr brain will only be able to absorb
    certain amounts but the habits you develop will help u grow.

Personally i am asahmed to think that people still wanna get innvolved in MAC/PC/LINUX type of arguments.

I use them all at work and there are positives and negatives on all sides.
    Unfortunalty PC is the main user base and so it will stay.

Enjoy yr habit building...dont be afraid to burn the midnight oil..

cheeeeers
    john

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast