Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default picket fence question

Hi all,

I am looking to install a timber picket fence for my property - it will be a traditional style without a plinth - simply pickets attached to two rails in between posts. I want to mortise in the rails to the posts, for both strength and appearance and i have a quick question as to the logistics that others might follow. If we take a single span of two posts and rails between them as an example, is the only real way of doing this to firstly cut all the mortises and tenons first, then insert the rails into the mortises whilst trying to concrete in the two posts at the same time? Obviosuly it is easier if the rails weren't mortised, and you could concrete in the posts separately! Any thoughts on how i should attack the construction? Thanks

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I have built a lot in my time, the way I go about it is to firstly mortise all posts (4"x2", depending on rail size), stand them at 3 mtr intervals, then the rails are to be scarfed or half lapped in and joined in the centre of the post, the bolt then passes through the post and both rails, use blocks to level your fence until you concrete the posts, once all is secure then concrete the posts, you may need some scraps to keep the posts upright and fence level until the bolts are secure
    G'day I'm Dave!

I finished this a couple of weeks ago. My first attempt.

To position the posts I made a crude stand out of some old pine studding. The base was a crucifix shape with a vertical bolted to the shortest arm.

Weighted the base down. Clamped the post to the vertical with the rails in place. Adjusted the position of the post on the stand and the stand on the ground until I was happy and then put in the quickset concrete. Did something else for an hour or two and moved to the next post.

I still have to add crushed rock to the driveway, that's why the edge looks rough.
    Cheers, Glen

Thumbs up

Worked atreat Glen!

I've ued a method similar to Dave's.

Much better to have at least two people to build fence! And three is really handy!