Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Lignum View Post
    Are you talking about standard cuter head blades or Shelix cutters. ?
    I was talking about the Hammer quick change cutters (straight). The European spec ones fitted at the factory are for Euro timbers and not for Aussie hardwoods. All Hammer and Felder replacement knives in Australia are the higher spec HSS knives ( double sided).

The system appealed to me because you can flip over or change the 3 knives and have them perfectly set within a minute or so. This opens up all sorts of possibilities like using a not so perfect set for skip dressing second hand hand timbers and preserving the newer knives from nails etc.

The Hammer is reputed to give a very smooth finish although I would agree a helical head would be better for situations like you have pointed out. In any event, at this point in time, there was no other choice for a quick change & set knife system in a 12" combo jointer/thicknesser ( I wouldn't hold my breath for the Jet reaching WA this year)

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

This is an interesting discussion - again.

I would think that the average non professional woodworker would be more than a happy chappy to have a Carbatec spiral head jointer and thicknesser in his shed. I would and plan for that to happen before the end of the year.

I have seen the Sheilx version demonstrated and it certainly is impressive. Question is however, is it that much better than the Carbatec offering to justify the additional cost. For most hobby woodies I think not. The Carbatec spiral head seems to me to offer all the same advantages and it is probably just a matter of perception rather than fact as to which one produces a better outcome.

It is interesting that there has not yet been input to this discussion from any forum members who actually own the Carbatec machines. Is Carbatec no selling many?
    Hitch

You got to have a dream, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?

Oscar Hammerstein ll

Carbatec haven't been selling these for too long and the spiral cutter block is not available on any of their combo machines ( which are popular with hobbyists). Perhaps there aren't too many out there yet but a quick search from USA based forums had some information ( I am assuming Grizzly machines would be similar to Carbatec)

Grizzly G0593 8" Jointer w/spiral cutting head - Sawmill Creek

Review: Grizzly G0453 15" Planer - by Don K. @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community

The link from TPI shows a Grizzly/Carbatec head. Interesting comparison from the Byrd web site Shelix

With a casual observation, their appears to be a big difference in quality.

The link from TPI shows a Grizzly/Carbatec head. Interesting comparison from the Byrd web site Shelix

Perhaps, and if so, what are the indicators that the Shelix would be more beneficial to the average amateur woodworker over time in terms of the known extra cost over (?) performance.
    Hitch

You got to have a dream, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?

Oscar Hammerstein ll

Never mind a casual observation, even after close scrutiny of those images, I can't find fault with the quality of either head - they look beautifully made. It's obvious they are totally different designs, but as for quality, what can you see that I can't?
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwould View Post
    Never mind a casual observation, even after close scrutiny of those images, I can't find fault with the quality of either head - they look beautifully made. It's obvious they are totally different designs, but as for quality, what can you see that I can't?
    One is a simple straight line staggered cutter head, with an unnecessary CNC routed spiral, the reduction in weight alone would not be a good thing when under sever load. It’s purely for looks apart from some added chip ejection that in the end isn’t that necessary. I have used the thicknesser and it’s good, but no where near the quality of the Byrd, especially with tight hard Aussie eucalypts. Do your self a favor and go check both out, and ill bet you will then agree with me.

One is a simple straight line staggered cutter head, with an unnecessary CNC routed spiral, the reduction in weight alone would not be a good thing when under sever load. It’s purely for looks apart from some added chip ejection that in the end isn’t that necessary. I have used the thicknesser and it’s good, but no where near the quality of the Byrd, especially with tight hard Aussie eucalypts. Do your self a favor and go check both out, and ill bet you will then agree with me.
    None of what you effused relates to the quality of the items in the images you posted. You're talking about quality of cut which would be better illustrated with comparative images of planed timber.

I have no doubt the Byrd cutter block is technically a superior item, but by all accounts (other than yours), the Carba-Tec/Grizzly block performs well above standard straight blades, revealing zero tear-out in most instances.

In terms of cost versus performance between the Byrd and the Carba-Tec/Grizzly blocks, I'm doubtful if many people would see the benefit of the dearer item.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwould View Post
    None of what you effused relates to the quality of the items in the images you posted. You're talking about quality of cut which would be better illustrated with comparative images of planed timber.

I have no doubt the Byrd cutter block is technically a superior item, but by all accounts (other than yours), the Carba-Tec/Grizzly block performs well above standard straight blades, revealing zero tear-out in most instances.

In terms of cost versus performance between the Byrd and the Carba-Tec/Grizzly blocks, I'm doubtful if many people would see the benefit of the dearer item.
    So I assume you will be going for the Carbatec then. I will be interested in your assessment.

So I assume you will be going for the Carbatec then. I will be interested in your assessment.
    I already have a thicknesser – with conventional straight blades.

Regards, Woodwould.

I may be wrong but the carbatec style head looks like it has far fewer cutters. That in itself would make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post
    I may be wrong but the carbatec style head looks like it has far fewer cutters. That in itself would make a difference.
    Not sure exactly how many the Carbatec has, but the 8” Byrd has 5 rows of 8 cutters.

According to the specs on the Carbatec site, each machine has the following

20" - 98 inserts
    15" - 74 inserts
    8" - 40 inserts
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Default Spiral Head Thicknesser

Many thanks for all feedback. I don't want a combined machine, I am thinking about a standard head cutter for the jointer and spiral for the thicknesser. It looks like JET is the preffered option?

Thanks to all again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12