Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Slowly, slowly.......

I was quite impressed with this result after taking it out of the laminating form yestreday
    It's the front apron of a table I'm doing @ the moment. It's 5 laminations of roughly 5mm thick pieces of Australian Rosewood & it's about 1600mm long at this point. It's had a light sand & a sealing spray of laquer so far, it hasn't been cut to length yet.

Cheers

Major Panic

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

why laquer before cutting to length?

Major,

That looks like another masterpiece in the making. How will you make the joints between the curved apron and the legs? Will you use a floating tenon and an angled mortice, or a regular mortice and an angled tenon, or what? I am at a loss to visualize a foolproof way of making those joints, except possibly by routing dowel holes or a mortice in the ends of the apron, using a screwed-on jig with a guide bushing.

Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker
    Major,

That looks like another masterpiece in the making. How will you make the joints between the curved apron and the legs? Will you use a floating tenon and an angled mortice, or a regular mortice and an angled tenon, or what? I am at a loss to visualize a foolproof way of making those joints, except possibly by routing dowel holes or a mortice in the ends of the apron, using a screwed-on jig with a guide bushing.

Rocker
    Or maybe the frameing gun!!

Al

A bit of blu-tac?
    Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by snappperhead
    why laquer before cutting to length?
    Both sides have had coat of laqure to help keep the bend uniform. I learnt that lesson the hard way on my first lamination project. I didn't get back to the curved piece for a couple of weeks & it had twisted & straightened somewhat due to weather conditions. Now I always put a coat on to help minimise movement.
    Cheers

Major Panic

Major,

Rocker
    Where the hell is your "Rocker Mortice Jig" when you need it???
    I'll be using a floating tenon joint (about 8mm thick) using the bending form as a clamping jig. Just add a couple of angled spacers to the end of the apron protruding from the form & away you mortice to get straight mortices
    Holding the legs at the required angle will be a similar, clamping the leg to a wedge of the correct angle in a much simpler version of our mortice jig :eek:
    Cheers

Major Panic

Coming along very nicely there Major. Looking forward to seeing more progress pictures.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Can't wait to see the final project major. i can already see the scores racking up:
    originality: 10
    composition: 10
    asthetics: 10

have a great one!
    -ryan

Quote Originally Posted by MajorPanic
    I'll be using a floating tenon joint (about 8mm thick) using the bending form as a clamping jig. Just add a couple of angled spacers to the end of the apron protruding from the form & away you mortice to get straight mortices
    Major,
    I am still a bit confused. I presume you will end up with a joint as shown in the first diagram below. I understand the method of cutting the angled mortice in the leg. But

1. How do you determine the angle of the wedge you use?
    2. How do you determine the angle of the cut at the end of the apron?
    3. How do you actually make that cut?
    4. What is the role of the 'angled spacers'?

I wonder whether it would not be simpler to use a regular (non-angled) mortice in the leg, and cut a mortice perpendicular to the angled end of the apron, as in the second diagram below.

Rocker

Thumbs up Stop Reading my Mind!!!

Major,
    I am still a bit confused. I presume you will end up with a joint as shown in the first diagram below. I understand the method of cutting the angled mortice in the leg. But

1. How do you determine the angle of the wedge you use?
    2. How do you determine the angle of the cut at the end of the apron?
    3. How do you actually make that cut?
    4. What is the role of the 'angled spacers'?

I wonder whether it would not be simpler to use a regular (non-angled) mortice in the leg, and cut a mortice perpendicular to the angled end of the apron, as in the second diagram below.

Rocker
    Rocker,

Had a rethink @ some ungodly hour this morning about the mortices :eek:
    You have come to the same conclusion that I did & I'll go with a perpendiular mortice in the apron & a standard mortice in the leg

Answers;
    1. Irrelevant now
    2. You DON'T!!! That's the beauty of having a well made form! The rear apron is parallel to the back edge of the table & all the legs are set square off this. So if your form is made square from the arc all you have to do is cut to lenght & you automatically have the correct angle on the apron ends
    3. Again the form is the answer. Just stick it on the sliding table. (see pic below)
    4. Irrelevant now

This is how I'll cut the mortices in the apron ends. (The router & guide are for illustration purposes only as I'll have to use the ½" router & a better guide)

Cheers

Major Panic

Could you use biscuits instead of floating tenons, as per Rockers Fig 2, where the apron has a deeper curve and and cutting mortice could be dicey or would they not be strong enough?

Would biscuit cutter be easier for angled cuts as per Rockers Fig 1?

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Major,

Very ingenious. Looks as though I would need to get a fancier table-saw before I could use your method of docking the curved apron, though

Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHammer
    Could you use biscuits instead of floating tenons, as per Rockers Fig 2, where the apron has a deeper curve and and cutting mortice could be dicey or would they not be strong enough?

Would biscuit cutter be easier for angled cuts as per Rockers Fig 1?

HH.
    Hi ya HappyHammer!

You could use biscuits but there would have to be a double row to get even some strength approaching a mortice & tenon. there would be some dicking around cutting the slots in the legs as the apron sits back from the front edge of the legs.
    Don't get me wrong I love my biscuit joiner, I've had it for about 6 or 7 years from memory besides this table is for our home & not a customer so I'd like to do it 'proper'
    Cheers

Major Panic

Major,

Very ingenious. Looks as though I would need to get a fancier table-saw before I could use your method of docking the curved apron, though
    Or just build a bigger sled??

P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast