Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Smile GMC 10" Slide Compound Miter Saw with REDEYE® Laser Line Generator

Hello All,

I'm a new member who found this forum with a Google search for the GMC 250mm SCMS. I have been researching a miter saw purchase for a couple weeks and found the saw on the website for a home center in the US (Lowes). But as GMC is an unknown manufacturer in the US, I wasn't able to find any reviews of their tools.

Thank you all for your comments on GMC products. I'll be out tonight after work to buy my new saw ;-)

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...07-SMS250LSRUL
    ___
    T.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Trent,

I think you'll encounter some mixed reviews on GMC tools. I myself have a GMC circular saw and am satisfied with the value, also I considered buying the same miter saw from Lowes. If I had to give a summary of the quality, I'd say it's in line with Ryobi or B&D's higher-end consumer tools.

If you want the best, I'd suggest DeWalt, Hitachi, Milwaukee...
    Thumbs don't grow back :eek:

Carbatec used to sell Delta compound slide saws but don't any more which is a pity since they were great. I wonder about the redeye line. On the TV it looks to be at least a few millimetres wide, which might be okay for cutting out a house frame but not for cabinet work. But maybe the impression I have from the ads is misleading.

Welcome to the forum.

I have just received one for my birthday the other week. They are excellent value for money from what i have seen so far. Just last night i spent a few hours squaring up the fence and adjusting the laser [all the typical adjustments to a new tool]. I also bought a 60 tooth,negetive rake TCT blade to replace the one that comes standard with the unit as i wanted to be able to cut aluminium and plastic as well as fine cuts to timber. I am very happy with the setup. The cuts a spot on and the laser is on the money.
    The laser is about 1mm wide, so the trick is to set the edge of the laser line to the edge if your cut and work from the left. dont go to the center of the laser, your cuts will be a millimeter out. The dust bag is near on useless if you are cutting MDF, so a dedicated dust extraction unit hooked up would be a must if you plan to do lots of work using MDF. Mind you, thats pretty much the norm with any mitre saw.

GMC used to be very dodgy a few years back when they first came to the australian market. In the recent 6 month they have released some great value for money products. the quality has really picked up. I used to buy Makita and only Makita. But the 2 year home use warranty is something you can beat.

I have nothing to do with the company whatsoever, but I now own 4 different powertools from this company. I am extremely pleased with all 4 tools.

Other 'Purists" may point you toward other brands, but when the makita is around 4 times the cost of the GMC, you could replace the GMC 4 times over.

Hope this helps. Will keep you posted if i have any issues with it over the coming months, but i doubt it.

G

Welcome - hope you continue to enjoy.

Like GCP310 I have 3 or 4 GMC branded tools including a 10" SCMS. I am quite happy with all of them - the saying is "you gets what you pay for". OK, there are much better tools available but they are also much more expensive.
    With care on the SCMS I get results just as good as I get on (a much older) 8" Hitachi. The Hitachi would still be considered a 'good' machine. I say 'with care' deliberately. It is easy to stress the GMC and get out of line cuts. You just have to take that little bit of extra care.
    The 'red-eye' is useful. I have never been able to adjust mine to be square over the entire length of cut, however it is still a good reference and much quicker and easier than lowering the blade on to the workpiece.
    Unless you are one of those people who just must have the best, or intend to use it '24/7' I think you would find a GMC quite OK.
    Cheers
    GeoffS

I suppose that GMC stuff is not the best available but its okay.I've got a few GMC tools in my home workshop and they are good for weekend games. At work we have mostly makita but considering the difference in price it would want to be a whole lot better.

I love the saw.

I didn't bother with the included air bag. I attached it to my shop vac.
    I re-did the trim in the bathroom and I start on the dining room trim this evening.

<------- Trent the Thief being happy
    ___
    T.

i used mine on the weekend. I was rapt with the result. i had to cut down an entertainment unit that had bi fold doors on it that were 295mm wide and the saw worked flawless. the new blade worked a treat leaving a nice smooth finish. cant wait to find another project to unleash my new toy on.

G

G'day all. I usually dont venture in here as im into home renos.

I want a SCMS and the GMC sounds ok. I realise its a 'cheapie" but I have other GMC gear and they are still going strong, besides I cant afford Makita etc. I have one concern as I was told single bar slides tend to give trouble with smooth operation (jam and shudder) and one reason I hesitated with Ryobi. Have any of you had this problem?

From GMC web site it looks like model MS 256 is the go as a mid size/power unit. Any ideas on price?
    Jack

My GMC SCMS is the 2 slide type - GMC have branded both single and dual slide versions.
    My own experience agrees with your comment Jack - dual slide ones run much more smoothly, leading to a much more precise cut.
    That said, other people will tell you that a badly built dual slide system will be much worse than a single slide. It is pretty obvious, getting a dual slide system machined accurately is going to be much more difficult hence more expensive.
    My advice would be - before accepting any of the cheap SCMSs - get it out of the box and try it.
    I find mine excellent - even the blade wasn't quite as bad as I expected.
    Cheers
    GeoffS

The gmc is twin baaaaaarrrrrrr.

Al

Jack,
    I had the old Makita LS 1011 for over ten years, it was one of the first SCMSs on the market and was a single rail saw. If you forced the saw down during a bevel cut you could get some misalignment, but if you were really ham fisted you can probably manage that with a twin bar saw. Never had any problems with accuracy, shuddering, etc etc after 11 years of trade use.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Jacksin, For $300, you can get the GMC SMS250LS. its 2400w so it got more than enough power and it slides really well. I spent a bit of time getting the fence and laser square and the quality is really great. I think it makes the same amount of noise as the Makita single rail,ifnot less.

two things they could improve on.

1 - wire the Laser up to mains. its a pain to remember to turn it off.

2 - introduce an electric brake to the unit.

other than that, it truely is great value. the next up the list, i would look at the metabo/electra beckum SMCS, its induction motor is really quiet and bunnys have them for around the $650-700 dollar mark.

The makitas really nice, But unless you have trade use for it, really over priced for what it does. I love makita gear as much as the next person.

hope this helps.

G

I far as I know GMC is an Australian company which has its tools made in China.
    Being an Aussie company doesnt change the fact that the tools are cheap chinese stuff.
    I'm sure they are fine for occasional use, but not for pro use.
    They serve a purpose by allowing the home user to have tools he/she couldn't normally buy. (although the plastic surgeons seem to be busier on weekends sewing fingers back on). As a pro I stick with the quality tools I can't afford break downs etc, (besides I get attached to my tools).
    So take care and remember to keep hands out of the way.
    Cheers
    John

Last time i checked, majority of the makita gear is now being produced out of china. So as mentioned before, theres a cheap chinese made and an expensive chinese made. the choice is yours.

Best way, buy the unit, use it over the weekend, if you dont like the unit and does not live up to expectations, return it. GMC has a 30 day return policy that bunnings will honor. then shell out an extra grand on a "quality" unit.

G

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast