Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Talking Drill Press - Ryobi DP263 vs GMC RDM16F

Hi everyone,
    I'm in the market for a floor standing drill press. it would be used only infrequently for drilling tasks and those round spindle mounted drum sanders. There is not a huge range in Hobart but the two models above are priced fairly reasonably.The ryobi is $359.00 and GMC is $339.

Anyone got any comments good or bad on either or some other recommendations. The only other models we seem to have are Rexon at Glenfords but theya re a bit dearer and slightly smaller.

I suppose I am concerned about the relative accuracy of each press especiall with the runout on the chucks although I am not expecting perfection.

All comments greatfully appreciated

Jock_Jock

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

r u serious, avoid the GMC and Ryoni if u can.

BOth Trade tools Direct and Hafco have much better quality presses, not too mention Carbatec for a few $$ more.

I used to buy GMC and Ryobi stuff a sits cheaper and keeps the Mrs happy but in the long run it will cost u $$ cos these brands wear and break easier and offer lesser service.

So now i am in the process or relacing my cheepiues iwth quality, better to go there in the first place i reckon

If the Ryobi is part of their "industrial range" then I would consider it. I think $339 is too much for anything made by GMC, their stuff is good value in the sub $200 or even sub $100 price but at $339 you may be disapointed and that's a fair amount of money to be disapointed with.

If the Ryobi is in the industrial range, ceck other posts here for other people's opinions of that range

Simon
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.
    Bob Monkhouse

In what I can only describe as a fit of madness, I bought one of these GMC drill presses. After spending 3/4 of a day running back and forth to the suppliers, changing parts and generally trying to make it work correctly, I gave up, got my money refunded, then did what I should have done to start with, went to Carbatec and bought a decent drill press which has preformed flawlessly.

My advice is not to buy either of those two drill presses but to get something decent to start with and save the hassels.

Agree with Sprog. I bought a 3/4hp 16 speed Chinese floor-standing press from Timbecon for just under $300 on special ($349 in their catalogue).

Check out Carba-tec stand drill press 3/4 HP $375.
    http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com....html?cache=no
    Or Bench for $299
    http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com....html?cache=no
    HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Jock,

Not sure where in Tas you are but the Working with Wood Circus is heading for Hobart, You may want to check it out and possibly get something much better than the two machines you mentioned for around the same price or cheaper.

Himzo.
    There's no such thing as too many Routers

I'm in Hobart and have seen an add for the woodworking show at the DEC next Saturday. That might be a good option. Carbetec and other mainland sellers have their good prices eroded by freight costs.
    Cheers
    Jock

Hi Jock,
    If you decide to go the GMC route, this might be worth looking at.
    I was tempted..... )
    for $185, seemed pretty decent I thought.

GMC Drill Press $185 @ WWW Melb

Cheers,
    Geoff

Default Ryobi 250W 5-Speed Press Drill

Gee whizz, so I take it my laser-guided AU$114.75 5-Speed 250Watt Drill Press -- still to be opened; still enclosed in its original packaging -- ain't all it's cracked up to be?

You fellas basically seem to be suggesting 'get yourself some "real" quality for 3 times the price and save the heartburn when your current [Ryobi] purchase fails to do the job adequately'...

Basically I'm making a custom-designed custom-sized computer desk/table using dressed pine (2"x3") for legs and support beams with a simple 18mm white melamine top which requires accurate drilling so the whole thing doesn't wobble and shake or collapse to one side when the puter is mounted upon it etc.

At one time I thought about buying one of these Ikea computer desks for AU$249.00.

Jocks

Both of you should go to the wood show and get a decent one. Check out the standard prices off their web sites and aim for at least 20% off. Go negotiate at the show. You'll win.

If you're stuck with your original drills go Ryobi. Their QC is better, tho GMC have lifted their game recently.

If you can't beat the prices you quote for a better drill at the show, then you're not trying.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Bodgy, When it's all said and done, crying over AU$115 today is like weeping over spilt milk. Got slugged the other day for exceeding the speed limit by 11 kms $127 including 2 demerit points so...

On with the show - take no prisoners! - rip open the box, set 'er up and get cracking!

Computer desk here we come.

Beats forking out $420 for something like this!

If u get the GMC one, and ur not happy with it you can always take it back within 30days!!

Quote Originally Posted by sam_herd
    Bodgy, When it's all said and done, crying over AU$115 today is like weeping over spilt milk. Got slugged the other day for exceeding the speed limit by 11 kms $127 including 2 demerit points so...

Beats forking out $420 for something like this!
    Its only partly about the $$, it's mostly about WINNING!

$420 dollars - tell em they're dreaming.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams