Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Timber & Working With Wood Show - Have your say, revisited

After almost every Timber & Working With Wood Show there is a complaint or two:

Not enough exhibitors, cost too much, too many people, isles not wide enough or too wide, food too expensive, wrong day, too much rain, too hot, etc, etc, etc.

This thread is set up for you to have your say - with constructive comments that may help to encourage more visitors or more (or better quality) exhibitors. Anything that members and visitors feel may make these shows bigger and better than they have been.

A list of exhibitors who don't come to the shows or you would like to see come to the shows would also be of help as I believe a full and comprehensive list of past exhibitors and database was never handed over to EEE by the previous organisers.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and I guarantee that EEE will be keeping a watchful eye on this thread and wherever possible will act on suggestions or at least explain why a suggestion may not be feasible, etc.

Cheers - Neil

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I'll kick it off by saying..... DO NOT criticise EEE (the show organisers) they have done everything in their power to bring these shows back from the brink. They inherited a show that was almost on it's last legs and have had a number of businesses and individuals try to undermine them (from within and without) since they took over. They have have implemented many, many changes for the better and are to be commended for doing so.

OK. That's my bit. Now let's hear from everyone else.

Cheers - Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

I wonder whether there woukd be interest in the Friday session extending into the evening (say until 8.00pm) so the city wage slaves could go there before going home? Perhaps Sunday arvo could be shortened to compensate?
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Quote Originally Posted by jmk89 View Post
    I wonder whether there woukd be interest in the Friday session extending into the evening (say until 8.00pm) so the city wage slaves could go there before going home? Perhaps Sunday arvo could be shortened to compensate?
    As an exhibitor I would have to say a big no to late trading as friday is generally the busiest day for most shows and most exhibitors are looking forward to beer a clock. It reminds me of the 9pm closing at the old exhibition building, too late for tea etc. And you have to remember that wages have to be paid and all the other extra expenses that Neil has detailed just to go another 3hrs.

Sunday shorter could be a good thing as most shows by 4pm on sunday are a bit thin on the ground.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Carroll View Post
    As an exhibitor I would have to say a big no to late trading as friday is generally the busiest day for most shows and most exhibitors are looking forward to beer a clock. It reminds me of the 9pm closing at the old exhibition building, too late for tea etc. And you have to remember that wages have to be paid and all the other extra expenses that Neil has detailed just to go another 3hrs.

Sunday shorter could be a good thing as most shows by 4pm on sunday are a bit thin on the ground.
    I can empathise with that; I used to exhibit at the Melbourne and Sydney antiques fairs and by closing time each night, I just wanted to crawl into bed. It was difficult fronting up again the following day too.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

For Brisbane:
    • Aisles definitely wide enough
    • Rest areas around the pavilions were well-used
    • Good signage
    • Great to see (and partake of) salad wraps instead of just fried food. Cost was same as I've come across elsewhere.
    • Greatly appreciated the quieter Food/Coffee Bar at the back of the Pavilion area and a lot of other people did too.
    • Appreciated Liz and her crew walking around, being visible, checking in with people running their stalls/sites, or just saying Hello.
    • Everyone greatly appreciated the entrance being on the side instead of from the main street, much safer and a much nice entrance too, not as steep as the front entrance and the trees outside are lovely.

Default Wish List

I would love to see Hare & Forbes at the Canberra show.

I would also like to see the show run the weekend before Father's Day, instead of that weekend as it provides ideas for significant others who are still looking for a present

Craig

I've been going to the Melbourne show for longer than I care to remember ( I saw the Triton Mk2 there the first time ) and ever since EEE has taken over it has improved out of sight.

Easy and cheap parking and no long walk from the station when I went with public transport. Better catering and lots of seating area and a lounge for forum members. Larger isles to get around.

Yes, there are fewer and some smaller stands but at least there is not the rubbish stands flogging wonder cleaning stuff and shoe shines or real estate or insurance. The exhibitors are all woodwork related.

My only gripe is that at this stage there is not yet available a detailed list of exhibitors, which doesn't help planning my purchases.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    My only gripe is that at this stage there is not yet available a detailed list of exhibitors, which doesn't help planning my purchases.
    That would be my only criticism too. I emailed EEE on September 16th about a list of exhibitors and was told "Both the floor plan and a current list of exhibitors will be posted on our website www.eee.net.au 10 days pre show".
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Had a chat to the organisers today and they are still finalising exhibitors and stand placings. There is always late changes due to some saying they are coming then change their mind

They are hoping sometime next week for a listing on the web site.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Carroll View Post
    They are hoping sometime next week for a listing on the web site.
    Thanks Jim, I already know of one interstate supplier and have contacted them making sure they will have what I want at the show. There are other exhibitors that I'm hoping for.

Peter.

I emailed a major woodworking machinery supplier this week to enquire if they would be attending the Timber and Working with Wood show this year as I wanted to make some purchases. Their response was "The Sydney show was in June/July".
    Thank you for your help!

Regards, Woodwould.

I know I have mentioned this before, and yes Neil I have put my name down for the forums stand, but I think the booth selling the three day tickets could be moved to outside of the entry point. Last year I found it AFTER I had paid my entrance money..
    I try and do new things twice.. the first time to see if I can do it.. the second time to see if I like it
    Kev

Hate to stifle comment and posting but....... from post #1
    This thread is set up for you to have your say - with constructive comments that may help

The idea of the thread is to try and help build the shows up to a standard that will suit everyone so.....

Let's try and keep it on track with comments that might help, rather than make it a general yap session.

Don't forget to add names of exhibitors who you'd like to see at (or see back at) the shows.

As for Friday going to 9pm. Been there, done that, and from 4pm till 6pm there was a major drop in numbers, from 7pm on it was like a morgue. Also did the original 4 day shows, 10am to 9pm thing and never, ever want to go back there again.

10am to 5 pm is very civilised and anyone who wants to get there will make the effort. After 3pm the show is basically dead, all bar that 1 person who just won't go home even after the show is closed.

Default Market Research

Just an idea - what about having a "Best Vendor", "Best Display" and "Best Presenter" award, which is decided by attendee votes?

This would give EEE a better idea of what is drawing the crowds to the show and allow them to target that market in future.

Craig

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast