Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Ute/Boat trailer Camper

Hi All,

I always thought i wanted a camp trailer but have now decided that I also want to take my boat as well as having a camper tent that folds out. My options are to build the camper tent over the top of the boat trailer(4.2mtr Brooker tinny). This would mean seriously beefing up the existing trailer or the other option is to build a camper tent frame that mounts in the back of my ute(rodeo 4x4 with 8x5 tray). Both options would require the use of wind up/down legs to remove the camp tent from the ute or boat trailer. Similar to the one in the picture. Does anyone know where i can buy these legs or similar or even how they can be made.

Cheers

Michael
    Last edited by mcchaddy; 29th April 2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: forgot to add photo

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Camper leg

Cant be to hard to figure out bloke, pull a jockey wheel apart and see what makes it go up and down, same thing for that leg in the snap. You can buy tube steel or RHS that slips inside each other to a close tolerance from a steel merchant.

Never thought of looking at jockey wheel. I will be ripping the one off the boat tonight to see how it works. I wouldn't imgine it would to be to difficult.

CHeers

Michael.

Yonnee is offline Trailer Bloke & Mild Mannered Moderator

Manutec do a range of Jockey Wheels and jacks. They also have a list on the site for re-sellers in QLD.

Yonnee.

*edit*
    Just had a look at the site a bit more closely, and unless you know what you're looking for, they take some finding.
    Go to the 'Products' section, then to 'Trailer Parts', then to 'Adjustable Stands'. From there you'll see their standard top wind, or side wind stands.
    Last edited by Yonnee; 1st May 2008 at 01:37 AM. Reason: More info.
    Too many projects, so little time, even less money!
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds! Doing work around the home? Wander over to our sister site, Renovate Forum, for all your renovation queries.

Hi mcchaddy
    it looks relatively easy to make.

Components off the top of my head.
    50mm Duragal tube
    12 or 16mm booker rod
    Joiner nuts to suit above
    A slider tube ( Box) to fit inside the 50mm tube.
    Some 6mm plate to use for end and base plates
    12 rod to use as a handle.

The fixture on the side of the ute could be box to suit the 50mm.
    A drill press and a welder would be required.

Grahame

Hi All,

Thanks for the info. Yonee I have had a look at their site and they are much cheaper than what I have previuos seen. One place want $1200 for 4 legs and brackets. Dingo, my jockey wheel is a side wind which mean i would have to have a pinion gear as well. Anyone know where I can buy these. Or i could just stick with the top wind and use a brace or cordless drill.

Graham, would booker rod be strong enough. I had thought of using this but wasn't sure if it would be ok. The other problem is it would take a while to wind down say 300mm haveing such a close pitch thread. I was thinking of using something like an ACME Thread, as used in old scissor jacks, but have no idea where to buy it. Would this thread be harder to wind under a load.

Once the camper is off the back of the ute, the 4 legs would have to hold the combine weight of the camper and any accessories/boxes and 2 people sleeping on it.

Cheers

Michael.

Hi All,

This is the type of threaded rod i am looking for. Anyone know where to buy it and the associated nut. Also where I can buy the gears shown in the second photo.

cheers

Michael

I think you can buy the acme threaded rod from industrial supply places , the same as booker rod or all thread .
    Dont know about the gears.
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

Thanks Woodlee,

I will try the local bolt and nut place. I have found a place that sells the bevelled gears. http://australia.rs-online.com/web/s...746+4294857767

cheers

Michael

When I made my camper trailer, I used waterpipe with a big washer welded on the end so it wouldn't sink into the ground mounted in the sliding tail of a pipe cramp which was bolted to the chassis. A small length of 1/4" rod brazed onto the toothed cam handle clipped under the washer to stop the lot from falling onto the road while travelling. When we set the trailer up, we dropped the pipes at the rear with the towbar slightly below the horizontal, and then wound the jockey wheel to bring the floor level. This took some of the weight off the suspension and made the whole arrangement more stable.
    Cheers
    Graeme