Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Sturdee’s framing square fence and stair gauges.

The woodworking catalogues have lots of small gadgets and tools that we all would like to have but cannot afford. In particular I was impressed with the removable framing square fence and stair gauges. They make many carpentry tasks like marking out large sheets and repeating the marking out of angle cuts simpler and are easy to make. So I decided to build them.

To make the stair gauges and fence dress an off cut and saw a slot in one side. Then drill the holes for the knobs and retaining bolts. When all the holes are drilled cut of the stair gauges and the remainder is the fence. Finally a few coats of hard shellack and they are done.

Photo 1 shows the fence attached to the framing square.

Photo 2 shows the stair gauges attached to the square.

Photo 3 shows the detail of the slot and bolts to secure them.

Photo 4 shows another view. Note that the stair gauges have a small nut and bolt through them to make sure they don’t break if applying too much pressure.

Peter.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

The knobs retaining them to the square are made using knock down bolt connectors and cross dowels. They are easy to use and have great strength.

I use a small block of wood, drill a hole to take the bolt and at one edge enlarge the hole to hold a retaining nut. I use liquid nails to secure the bolt to the timber and then sand it round on a disk sander. They don’t need to be perfectly round, as it will assist grip. Finally measure the length and cut the connector to size. This system of retaining knobs is easy to make and I am using it for further jigs.

Photo 1 shows the lay out of bolt, handle bit, retaining nut and cross dowel.

Photo 2 shows how I use a large multigrip to secure the handle for drilling of the hole.

Peter.

I can just imagein you down in your cellar with Egor.

Look Egor, look at what your master has created this time ( insert evil laughter, and lightening here ).

Al

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    I can just imagein you down in your cellar with Egor.

( insert evil laughter, and lightening here ).

Al
    Al, you're welcome to join Egor in my cellar says I with evil laughter, and lightening flashing.

Peter.