Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Practice wood for carving

I'm very much a dabbler in carving but now that I can sharpen tools with the exception of v-tools I'd like to get some practice with some timber especially relief carving. I watched a video where the presenter easily carved through some Basswood but I know that is difficult to obtain here. As I'm in Melbourne, what sort of timber should I be easily able to obtain so I can try it out and practice?

I have some Blackwood and some Rosewood approx 300 mm by about 45 mm lengths that I had set aside for some turning but would be willing to trade them for carver friendly timber.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

When I asked this question one of the most surprising answers I got was Merbau, from Bunnies. From Ruffly Rustic I think, she was right, it carves well. Another answer was Camphor Laurel, it also carves well. Both are relatively inexpensive.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Thanks, Seb. Merbau is a surprise, I thought it was fairly hard, might have to pop down to Bunnies and see what sizes they have.

Jacaranda down that way? it's good. Camphor would be alright too

Cheers
    Michael

other good carving timbers are basswood, jetulong, lime, butternut and brown beech, but these can be a tad harder to come by.

G'day Tiger,
    I have a bunch of slabs I cut 8 yrs ago which haven't been stripped out properly and I just want to get rid of 'em to clean up my yard. Heaps of different species from oak, cypress, camphor laurel,elm, cypress,walnut etc.. Perfect for carving.They range from 1200mm long to 2000mm long x 200-500mm wide and are all about 50mm thick. You would have to sort through them but going very cheap. Call me on 0408120332 if you want to come out and take a look. Yard is just north of Whittlesea, .

Cheers,
    Craig.

Here in Canada Lime and Basswood are the same tree and they grow like weeds. 12 years ago I cleared 40 acres of basswood for pasture. These were rather large trees perhaps on avg. 30 meters high and some three meters around, they were sent to Japan to be turned into disposable chopsticks. Here except for carving and making Rapala fishing lures it's considered a garbage wood and yet due to carvers willing to pay insane prices for it, basswood is one of our most expensive domestic woods.

I can buy Red Oak, Hard maple, or even Black Walnut cheaper than I can buy Basswood..And it doesn’t even make for good firewood. Makes no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by swallow View Post
    Here in Canada Lime and Basswood are the same tree and they grow like weeds. 12 years ago I cleared 40 acres of basswood for pasture. These were rather large trees perhaps on avg. 30 meters high and some three meters around, they were sent to Japan to be turned into disposable chopsticks. Here except for carving and making Rapala fishing lures it's considered a garbage wood and yet due to carvers willing to pay insane prices for it, basswood is one of our most expensive domestic woods.

I can buy Red Oak, Hard maple, or even Black Walnut cheaper than I can buy Basswood..And it doesn’t even make for good firewood. Makes no sense at all.
    Lime and Basswood are indeed the same wood (and not just in Canada). Feel free to send an acre or so over to Aus if you get the urge for more pasture! Seriously, what price does Black Walnut and Maple sell for over there? You can obtain planks easily enough, but anything thicker than 2 inches is impossible to fine. As for four inch squares for legs...

Now, where can I get me some Linden?

cheers,
    B-D.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue-deviled View Post
    Lime and Basswood are indeed the same wood (and not just in Canada). Feel free to send an acre or so over to Aus if you get the urge for more pasture! Seriously, what price does Black Walnut and Maple sell for over there? You can obtain planks easily enough, but anything thicker than 2 inches is impossible to fine. As for four inch squares for legs...

Now, where can I get me some Linden?

cheers,
    B-D.
    Well depending on the quantity that one buys, say a thousand board foot or more at a wack both Hard Maple and Black Walnut can be had for around $4.50-$5.50 a bf. Mind you that’s from the large suppliers. If you buy from the local DIY centre or the local lumber yard they usually ask yuh to bend over and grab yer ankles before they show yuh just how much they love yuh fer dropping by.

Basswood on the other hand is always dear at around $12.00 bf or more for 10/4 stock. Mind you if you want to buy carvers blocks, say pieces for carving a duck 6”x 6”x 12” or bigger that's when yuh really start to feel the lovin.(ouch)!

As for clearing more land for pasture, don't need to at the present time but I'll knock down as many Basswood trees as you want and send them to OZ, YOU pay the truck freight to the west coast (I'm in central Canada btw) and the shipping to OZ. Check with your local bank or loan shark (same thing really) before jumping at this once in a lifetime offer. I'll even throw in a two hundred year old oak, yuh know just to sweeten the deal.

It's 3.30 in the A.M but tomorrow I'll wander a couple of hundred meters from the house and snap and post some pics of some smallish Basswood trees.

As for the Linden, rumor has it that it can occasionally be found growing in relatively pure stands of either Lime or Basswood trees, but don't quote me on this as it is just a rumor.