Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Disabled People

Default Disabled People

I would just like to share my day with the world.

I have spent the day at our city's sheltered employment centre in Orange. The reason being that they have a project going and they wanted cut outs to attach to the very large boxes that they have made. Some time ago I sugested that scroll saw work might be used at the centre to make toy cut outs etc. Their CEO made contact with me a couple of weeks ago saying he was taking me up on my offer and so off I went with my scroll saw under my arm (in the boot of the car).

There where about eight disabled people in the section I was with. (this workshop employs a very large number of people disabled and abled) My daughter was in the group and is a disabled person. I ran them through safty and then put each of them through a practice cut. I was able to see as a reasult of this the capability of each person.

I started the person with the most potential to cut out a snail about A4 paper size from 6mm ply. Would you belive just looking I thought she was the most unlikly person to use the saw. How wrong I was.

The reward for her and me was teriffic. The young lady went all over the building with the snail and the greatest smile I have seen in years showing off her work. My feeling of satisfaction was at the highest level that it has been at for longer than I can remember.

As the day went on most of the people made a cut out and many of the staff including the CEO and one of the board members either watched or had a go. The quality of their work was realy very good considering it was their first attempt. Photoes where taken and will be publily displayed in a few weeks in Orange.

It is early days yet but I am living in hope that they will get their own saw and hopfully make small cut out toys that can go to charity.

The day has been the most rewarding day for me and has given me the greatest satisfaction that I have had for years. I can realy recomend this to any one who might be interested in helping people who realy are very capable if they are just given the chance. (I also realise that not every one can cope with disabled people).

If this can be done in Orange it can be done any where. Perhaps I can plant a seed for others.

Red Gum

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

but where's the

Red Gum well done maybe a double posting in the Woodworkers with Disabilities on this form also pointing here.

Ray

Best thing I have heard all day

If they are taking donations to buy that new scrollsaw/s put me down for $50.

joez

Thank you Joez

Your offer is greatfully recived. Thank you

When I entered this thread It was my intention of sharing something that happened for me that realy touched me and now you have touched me even further with your generosity.

Thank you again and I will keep you in touch with our progress in helping these disabled people.

My plan is to go back to them next Thursday and for the next few weeks hoping that what I have started will develop to who knows where

John

Red Gum

seconding Joez....
    an 18" carbatec scroll saw is under $600, joez said $50.... so 1/12th the way already.
    When not spread the word and we'll sort it out?

I stole Red Gums thunder a bit and spoke to the organisation.
    Having the scroll saw does not affect insurance, so its just a matter of getting one, delivery, installation and training.

seems to be a question of "why not" more than anything else.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

I am really heartened by this post in all manner of ways, and I applaud the O.P. for it, I have a disabled son (cerebral palsy), these children/adults and their carers/parents are so far disadvantaged that they dont live in the same world, what comes easy to most doesn't reach this minority, I give as much of my time to our local facility as I can spare but it is nowhere near enough, donations are gratefully received but to have some "normal" folks actually take an interest in what we do is the main goal, I applaud your generosity but am heartened by your visitation more than anything, your involvement means more to these folks than mere money, you would see it in their eyes every visit, one smile from you will be returned ten fold, all the people that I know who involve themselves with the disabled/mentally impaired receive the most rewarding of feelings that cannot be gained elsewhere, there are a thousand ways to help these people, time is crucial, some cant afford decent wheelchairs, others merely want a ramp or two placed in the house, some one else may want handrails, all simple jobs to us but impossible for some, any time you can spare please go to your local Bedford, orana, or whatever the name of your disabled section is in your community, you will be rewarded a thousand times over, those that have offered donations I say well done!!!
    G'day I'm Dave!

They will need spare blades also

I'm in will nominate the amount ASAP.

Good one Joez. Thanks for sharing this Red Gum.

Put me in for $50 .

Since my last posting quite a few things have been happening regarding my original.

When I made the original posting It wasn't made with any thought as to raising money. It was done because of the satisfaction I had recived in helping disabled people and I wanted to share it. I did however think that if what I had achived was passed on it might inspire others and therefore help even more disabled people.

Since then the responce has been overwelming with financial suport coming from a number of people so that a saw can be instaled into the disabled facility here in Orange.

I would like to thank through the forum

Joez for offering $50
    Wheelnround for offering to supply blades
    The Bleeder for offering $50

Unfortunately I am unable to thank publicly the person who has donated a Carb a tec 18 inch scroll saw to the value of $579. The person has requested to stay anonymos but I have been in phone contact and given my personal thanks.

I think thanks should also go to the forum. Without it all this could not have happened. I have already had a coment that the networking of the forum could be used to greater benefit than just people chating.

There has to be a bit of water under the bridge before all this can come together but as soon as I can get in touch with all concerned including the CEO of the workshop who I'm having difficlty getting in touch with we will get it all under way.

I called into the workshop this morning and one of the people in last weeks group greated me warmly and asked if I will be there again tomorrow. Because of a personal situation a I can't be there. She was realy diaponted and obviously was looking forward to another day.

Please accept my thanks and gratude all the people who have been so generouse.

( I will be out of contact for the next few days If there is something I need to follow up I will do so ASAP)

John

Red Gum

well done and thanks John, I work in the industry so I know how well it will be received! well done!
    G'day I'm Dave!

Red Gum,

Thanks for sharing and my offer still stands. These places need our support (you have shown what you get out of it) and in a way we also get something out of it.

I have a mate (played cricket together for 15+ years) who has two autistic sons. I help whenever I can.

The Annon Donor, you are a most generous one. Thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Gum View Post
    Since my last posting quite a few things have been happening regarding my original.

When I made the original posting It wasn't made with any thought as to raising money. It was done because of the satisfaction I had recived in helping disabled people and I wanted to share it. I did however think that if what I had achived was passed on it might inspire others and therefore help even more disabled people.

Since then the responce has been overwelming with financial suport coming from a number of people so that a saw can be instaled into the disabled facility here in Orange.

I would like to thank through the forum

Joez for offering $50
    Wheelnround for offering to supply blades
    The Bleeder for offering $50

Unfortunately I am unable to thank publicly the person who has donated a Carb a tec 18 inch scroll saw to the value of $579. The person has requested to stay anonymos but I have been in phone contact and given my personal thanks.

I think thanks should also go to the forum. Without it all this could not have happened. I have already had a coment that the networking of the forum could be used to greater benefit than just people chating.

There has to be a bit of water under the bridge before all this can come together but as soon as I can get in touch with all concerned including the CEO of the workshop who I'm having difficlty getting in touch with we will get it all under way.

I called into the workshop this morning and one of the people in last weeks group greated me warmly and asked if I will be there again tomorrow. Because of a personal situation a I can't be there. She was realy diaponted and obviously was looking forward to another day.

Please accept my thanks and gratude all the people who have been so generouse.

( I will be out of contact for the next few days If there is something I need to follow up I will do so ASAP)

John

Red Gum
    John I think best you check your PM's.

At no time did I say I was donating the blades you have assumed this through my comment that they would need blades.

I did how ever say I was in and would advise as to how much ASAP. This offer still stands. I hope this clears the matter up for you.

Ray

Smile Wow!!

I just came across this post, and just say WOW!! That is great, folks. I have helped people here in My home town who are just not able to make it on ther own. for about 15 years or so. I have enjoyed helping. Now, I am disabled myself. I can't work because of nerve damage in My back, and neck. The help that You give will change the folks, and give them happiness, and a feeling that they are people with abilities. Thanks to All who have helped, and it says tonnes about U
    Saved, and so Gratefull, consider Who created us all!

Hello Howard

Thanks for your message regarding disabled people. I'm sorry to hear that you have developed a disability and I hope you will heal from this.

I agree that a helping hand can make such a difference to people in need.The slogan at the local workshop is "people with abilities" Most of these people are very dedicated and reliable in what they do and just a little bit of help can make a very big difference to them.

I become very angry when I see able body people destroying their bodies with tattoos, face lifts and other things that they do to themselves when there are so many out there who just live there lives as they are and don't even think about being some one else in a false world.

Enough of the soap box.

I have also supported some disabled people in playing croquet. It is incredible to see some of the success with this.

If any one is listening I really recommend hoping in and giving a bit of support. there are so many ways it can be done.

As I have already said some time ago not every one can cope with disabled people and if you can't don't worry.

Thanks again Howard

Red Gum