Quote Originally Posted by cba_melbourne View Post
One hint is the insulation class (of the copper wire used inside for the stator windings). Often that is specified on the nameplate (for example class: F).
Mine motor is "type EFC", class E insulation, C rotor, F code built in the late 1980's
Quote Originally Posted by cba_melbourne View Post
I set them all up to use dynamic braking. On a mill or drill you can usually set the braking tome quite short, like 1 or 2 seconds. On a lathe it depends on total inertia:
if you use a light collet chuck you can brake in 1 or 2 seconds, but if you use a large chuck along with a heavy workpiece, the inertia is too large and the bus voltage in the VSD rises too high and the VSD "trips". Tripping meaning it stops braking and lets the motor coast to a halt and displays an error message. You then have to select a longer braking time, say 5 seconds - still faster then letting it coast to a halt.
Mine is set for 5 seconds, which worries me. It could be a long 5 seconds. I'll try shortening it.
Do you know if you can still switch from FWD to REV on the fly if you are in free run stop mode?
Thanks for your advice.
Stuart