Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Ocean Explorer - Nano Cruising boat from Perttu and Boatmik

Howdy,

One of the things that has been happening over the last months has been the getting ready of this new plan.

Perttu and I go back a little way ... he built an Oz PDRacer (now the OzRacer)

Then he built one of my Quick Canoe designs ... in the snow in Finland.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boatmik/sets/

And then things were suspiciously quiet until the first few weeks of summer - when this appeared.

I couldn't decide if it was the most crazy thing or most wonderful thing I had ever seen - but was sure it was great!

Ocean Explorer.

He used the spars, sail and foils from my OzRacer.

So we got together via the net and worked it all out to produce a really good set of plans.

About 80 pages.

Perttu spent hours doing really cool perspective drawings of the construction, I fiddled through my Oz stuff to grab what was needed for his plan. He made some suggestions for the Oz stuff and I made some suggestions for his hull - it is really very simply constructed for a boat with so much surface area.

A nice collaboration despite being about 10,000miles apart. The new shape of the world - or size - or something.

Perttu headed off on the boat for several days with a compact crewmember.

Looking aft in the cabin - adult legs go under the cockpit seats.

There are two very important things with this boat.

One is that the boat is designed to be sailed with the hatch SHUT in all but the best weathers.

Also to make progress upwind in choppy water it is important to the weight of loose gear next to the centrecase in the middle of the boat to help keep the boat on its lines.

There is a bit more and a video on the Duckworks page.

There is a price error on that page today, but will be fixed when Chuck wakes up. You don't need the OzRacer plans at all (even the sail design and making instructions are included) and the price will be $40 - so don't buy until you see them changed. (it has been corrected today, just like chuck promised!)

Boat plans for micro cruising sailboat for rivers and lakes

Best wishes
    Michael

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Great! I like it for it's no pretensions! Real minimalist cabin cruiser like a drawer
    Aloha!
    Robert Hoffman
    http://robhosailor.blogspot.com/

Hi fom Finnland

Last winter was quite busy for me. I lost my sense of realism when my girlfriend was going to Africa for four weeks. I had bought plans for two kayaks and I was focused of building them for both of us. Then Mikīs Quick canoe came on marked and I could not resist buying plans and building one. And then I get the idea of Ocean Explorer and I started to draw sketch of it. I liked it immediately and when Hanna left to Africa I started to build it in our living room – ( I forgot to tell her – now we are repairing our living room… ).
    oh1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Idea was to make small, cheap and light “yacht looking boat” with good performance. Itīs cheap to build, light and sails good – the look of boat is little odd on front view, but I still like it.
    loma3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

In end of last summer I made three days exploring trip with it. Maybe I have lively imagination, but I felt like real sailor- sleeping inside cabin - on boat which I have build by myself - feeling how waves moves the boat…
    loma2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Owning “yacht” - you donīt have to be rich – only little playfully attitude.

loma1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Perttu

Here is video of my last summers trip.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0IIDQ8yC9o"]YouTube - Ocean Explorer[/ame]

Perttu

I can see how a person could slide down into the cabin feet first but I'm wondering how you get turned around, unfolded, and in the prone position with feet towards the transom without being a contortionist.

Howdy ...

Getting into the cabin ...

Perttu talked about that specifically to me at one point - I will let him answer it.

From memory you step into the hatch area and sit down.

The plan comes with some extra stuff too - its got the sail of course, but also has a boom tent plan so the hatch can be left open even in moderate rain.

There are one or two other extras too.

The boat, though light unladen - when loaded up will be hard to move around - so there is a trolley plan included too.

Actually should mention the extras in the plan.
    Boomtent including break down poles
    Trolley for getting the boat on an off the trailer
    Oar lock extenders
    Twin block deck organiser - this is cool - pic of a commercial one below

and, even ... curtains.

Be it ever so humble there is no place like home.

MIK

Looking at the pics I can see one of the big inspirations for the boat.

Perttu wanted a project that would make use of his wide angle lens!

MIK

Quote Originally Posted by Perttu View Post
    Here is video of my last summers trip.

YouTube - Ocean Explorer

Perttu
    Hi Perttu,

Any boat can go downwind OK .. you had a video of it going upwind as well ... can you post that?

Also the plans price has been changed on the duckworks site - so it is correct now.
    Boat plans for micro cruising sailboat for rivers and lakes

MIK

Hi..

Moving inside and outside to cabin is actually easy job. Even my father who is over 60 years old "dissapeared" inside and out quicly - but he said that he is too old for sleeping inside - what he meant for that I am not sure? , but he has not sleep in tent for decades either...

Honestly sleeping on hatch position is very easy job, it happens naturally - moving to another side - to give room for another sleeper happens very easy too, but there is that menthal dilemma, that you canīt go out before your friend moves out...

Here is same video that can be found in Duckworks page - going upwind with two adults on cockpit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmP2S_eWE9w"]YouTube - VID00183[/ame]

Perttu

Man that little guy is way too cool!
    I couldn't resist and bought a set of the plans, and all of the details are really good.
    Nice work guys.
    -Al

This thing is Awesome!!! With capital "A"! I saw a picture at some point earlier, but to have it come together like this is great. I love interwebs like this, Peteloaf and I today were talking about how the internet has made boatbuilding go from some mystical thing that I never though I could do to emailing the designer of my boat about something stupid like, "I chipped my varnish, now what?" and he responds!

Great job everyone. Totally rad.

Thanks!

Hi

I have released updated version of Ocean Explorer. I call it as : Fat ducks cruiser, becouse it should be able to carry little more gear. ( It is not to be called as Pdracer )

If you have bought plans and want updated version, please email me and I will email new version to you. My email adress can be found in plans ( attach receipt for payment in email)

There is nothing wrong in original boat so you can build it allso according original plans - just another option.

Regards
    Perttu
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34155447@N02/5142669496/

It is also a little bit of a smoother shape, which will make building a bit easier. The PDR rules make the bottom curve a bit uneven.

With Pertu's update the bottom should be a perfect curve with all the nails used to mark it meeting the batten very nicely.

Best wishes
    MIK

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast