Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

my mcmaster carr order showed up today. FOR THE WIN!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

question for the electronics guys:

I have many many many 1K2 0.5W resistors on hand. I know that I can combine them in series to get 2K4 but does W increase also?

Next question, is 2K4 close enough to 2K8 to work safely? The reason I ask is I'm trying to save a trip across town to JayCar if I can, leaving me more time to wire this bad boy up.

Quote Originally Posted by newflavour View Post
    question for the electronics guys:

I have many many many 1K2 0.5W resistors on hand. I know that I can combine them in series to get 2K4 but does W increase also?

Next question, is 2K4 close enough to 2K8 to work safely? The reason I ask is I'm trying to save a trip across town to JayCar if I can, leaving me more time to wire this bad boy up.

No, not unless you wire the resistors in parallel but then you'd still have 1K2 Ohm.

2.4A should work fine, back in the day the Xylotex kits ran similar motors at 2.5A and they ran quite good. But also running a lower amp rating means the motors will lose a bit of torque.

Thanks Chris. I'll wire up 2 1K2 in series for now and upgrade the resistors when I get a chance to go across town in the coming weeks.

I'm just an eager beaver to get things going. a little less torque on a machine that isn't cutting is no big deal.

so the cables are made and I can tell you that my soldering needs some more practice. It's been a few years since I've had to solder anything.

I'll have everything wired up in the morning and hope to be getting some testing done. I'm pretty excited right about now.

Thanks for the help folks. I appreciate it.

I get a lot of my components from Futurlec, The Electronic Components and Semiconductor Superstore I dont know what their postage costs would be on a couple of resistors, but if Jaycar is a fair hike away it might be worth the cost.

Arghhhh I've wired the IEC plug incorrectly and I'm guessing that I've gotten the L and N around the wrong way. <sigh> My diagram reading skills need some work.

Everything is working (has been for a few hours now). Just trying to get the limit switches to work and then I can begin looking at the initial motor tuning.

[uploading a video as I type this]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns5rsG47nd0&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - g540 bench test[/ame]

sorry the angles are all funny. i had my son and iphone in one arm and mouse in the other. hahaha

got the limit/home switches sorted this morning. paired home/limit in series across pins 10,11,12.

does anyone see any issue with this setup seeing as though mach3 can determine which limit/home gets triggered.

so, I'm working on the z axis this weekend and the main subframe for the cutting bed and have noted that the ball screw bearing blocks feel like a press fit.

this is the ball screw that I have:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....T#ht_618wt_896

and unlike spidey this one has the thread on it for the lock nut which is fortunate as I'd hate to have to go through the pain that he went through with getting it turned.

I am looking at chilling the screw ends to pass through the bearing but I want to check that someone here didn't have a sweet method for getting the screw into the blocks first.

lets hope I can have this bad boy cutting soon.

How much is it off by?

I think someone here hit it with a bit of sandpaper once but if its off by too much I'd think it would need to be re-machined.

It's off by a few thou. Tried sanding gently (as suggested) but no luck, might put the ends on some dry ice.

Dry ice for the WIN!
    A few mins at each end was enough to allow it to slide into place with a few gentle taps from a small persuader.

Nice. Just hope you dont need to take it off again. I had to take mine off a few times to get the bracket made and mounted to the ballscrew nut.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast