Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default JET JPT-260 vs JPT-310 Planer Thicknesser Combination

Apart from the difference in capacity and table length can anyone tell me if there is any difference in operation, function or quality between these two machines?

I am finding it hard to justify the additional cost for the 12" machine given I dont yet have a lot of experience in woodworking. I have read a lot of positive feedback about the jpt-310 and I am keen to know if the smaller jpt-260 is comparable but just with a reduced capacity??

Also does anyone know if you can buy a helical cutterhead that is compatible with the 260? (I wouldn't go for this straight away but it would be good to know if this is a long term option)

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I have the JPT-310 (in 3 phase). I also considered the smaller JPT-260 before buying, but for some reason nobody seemed to have one, none of the JET dealers stocked them, so I gave in and bought the larger machine. If you search the forums there is a thread from around the time I was buying - someone had a JPT-260 but couldn't get the tables aligned coplanar, so swapped it out for a JPT-310.

The table length was an issue for me, and I don't regret going for the JPT-310.

Helical cutterheads and JET machines is a bit of a can of worms. If you want the third party shelix head, I'm sure one could be made to fit the JPT-260 - but it won't be cheap. JET are planning on releasing a JPT-310HH with helical head late this year (not sure who makes the head), after many delays due to issues with the feed rate for the thicknesser. I believe they have slowed the feed rate on the single-phase JPT-310HH to avoid overloading the motor, but I'm told I could fit a JET helical head to my older JPT-310 with no problems as the 3-phase motor has more grunt. I haven't seen any references to a helical head version of the JPT-260.

Worth checking with Col Peachey at JET head office if you want to check this.

Thanks for the feedback. I am pretty sure I will be buying the 310. Can you tell me how wide is it when the fence is brought all the way forward and with the cutterguard removed? I need to be able to fit it in a single car garage and want to know its minimum footprint.

I just popped out to the workshop for a quick look.

The minimum width I can get the machine down to (bringing the fence right in and removing the cutterguard) is about 520mm.

However, mine is mounted on the JET mobile base so that I can wheel it around for cleaning, etc. To get clearance for the mobile base you'd need a total width of about 650mm - it extends well beyond the base of the machine.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. That's exactly what I needed.