Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Paslode nailing gun?

I am thinking of buying a Paslode angled finishing nailer model IM 250A. From what I have found out I will be up for about $8--900 plus any other bits and pieces I may need.

I have a heap of aves and skirtings (90 x 19 meranti) and wonder which is the best size and gauge of nails to use 50 or 63 x 1.6mm bearing in mind I have to fix the skirtings through the gyprock and I dont know how hard the stud-work behind it is. Perhaps I should purchase a box of each size? Are there any other little secrets I should know about?

Any advice will as always be appreciated from the experts.
    Jack

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

G'day, I got a Paslode Framing gun for fathers day (kid won a colouring competition at Bunnings) and it was worth eigth hundred odd bucks. However, just last week I was in a Bowens hardware store and there they were in the six hundred odd dollar range, both the framer and the bradder. So, that, in my book makes a pretty good saving.

As for the bradder being able to drive the nails into the studs beyond the plaster, no problemo.

50mm should do the job.

dont skimp on the nails, buy the paslode nail/gas cartrige kit.

do you really need the freedom of a leadless nail gun? you can buy a decent finishing gun & compressor for the same amount thats all. we used to use the gas guns years ago when i was shopfitting. they are great,but they need to have a fully charged battery and a fuel cell. the firing times vary, from memory it takes about 15-20 seconds between nails.

All the DIY shows love em at the moment. I also heard that dewalt are coming out with an 18v battery only version. no fuel cell needed. could be worth looking into.

G

Was that a typo '15 - 20 seconds between nails" ?
    We use cordless most of the time and the nailing speed is fine.:confused:

50 mm nails are ok for skirting, does that model take 'c' nails or 'nd' nails the straight Paslode fixing gun I use can take both the lighter and heavier nails, the heavier we use for skirting, jambs etc, and the lighter ones for archs and trims.
    Cheers
    John

The newer versions may not have this lag between firing, as i said, this was a few years ago when the unit was black not the hi viz orange that they are now.

G

Thanks again for your response.

Paslode claim a 'cycle rate of 2--3 secs or 1000/hr'.

Jaws the angled 'Trim Master' uses a C1 nail from 32 to 63mm at .62 to 1.6gauge. The straight model (which I am told is not good for getting into tight corners) uses 19 to 63mm nails.

It pays to shop around because while most retailers are about the same price ($695 incl GST) I found a hardware store also at that price but it included a package of spare battery degreaser and oil (about $150 worth) but by the time I get back there it will have no doubt gone. Another mob were offering 18g nails to use with it, but these are heavier than the gun is designed for.
    Jack

I found this on the u.s site.

G

Saw them in Bunnies on Sunday for less than $600 for framer and finisher, it does take about 10 secs between being able to fire another nail. Was thinking of buying one myself but think i will go for the Portercable unit with small compressor

Guy, are you talking about the Paslodes? Ive used them since they have come out here, my newer framer fires about a quick as you can lift it off the timber and fire again, its hardly got any delay.
    The fixing gun has a delay of about 1 sec, which is fine for detail work.
    For fast framing work we run out the air, besides its cheaper than the gas.
    Cheers,
    John

The latest price I have found is $659, gees if I keep this up soon they will be giving them away.

My next buy will be the framing nailer, bearing in mind I will not be using either full time, I didnt want to lug a compressor and hose around occupied jobs.
    Jack

g,day Jacksin , my name is Randall.
    I used to own air guns, I went to gas for convenience..they're great IF they are cleaned regularly.
    The prices have dropped heaps over the last few years..you should be able to pick up a straight fixer and a framer for 700 from bunnings.
    and you dont need any extra bits and pieces.50 mm fix nails will do fine.have fun

p.s
    I totally agree with jaws in regards to "gcp310" reply..you can fire nails almost as fast as you want

I brought one of the ealry model angle bradders (trim master) its not the most reliable tool, but is great for doing small beading. The nails are very small gau.The tradditional stright bradder is good as it fires both series of nails. C and ND just get a spare nose plate.

I would consder buying the stright over the angle as the angle is a bit of a toy, in my opion.
    If you shop around and go to power tool shops the framer / stright bradder can be brougt for $630 in syd, so shop around.

We run one battery almost all day so if you are planing on buying both guns in the short term save $150.00 the spare battery cost for the next gun.

The angled one is better for tight spaces. The nail length depends on the frame. 50 year old hardwood may only need 1.75inch or 1.5 inch nails. For pine frames 2 inch is enough. Test by trying to hammer a nail into the stud.... you will soon have an idea of what to buy.

The Trimaster angles nailer is US$359 on the paslode web site. Worth trying to ship over???

Cheers
    Pulse

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse
    The angled one is better for tight spaces. The nail length depends on the frame. 50 year old hardwood may only need 1.75inch or 1.5 inch nails. For pine frames 2 inch is enough. Test by trying to hammer a nail into the stud.... you will soon have an idea of what to buy.

The Trimaster angles nailer is US$359 on the paslode web site. Worth trying to ship over???

Cheers
    Pulse
    Just don't expect to be covered under warranty if you don't buy it from an Australian dealer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast