Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Default M2 HSS Turning Chisel Batch Order

As part of the Plane Blades for Wooden Hand Planes order organised by Thumbsucker and DJ's Tmber in the Handtools-Unpowered, we have surplus space on our 800 x 6.5 x 2660 mm and 800 x 4.5 x 2660 mm M2 HSS sheet. These batch orders are common undertakings in Handtools-Unpowered. We have to date, manufactured for members at cost price, Replacement Stanley Plane Blades, Fine Paring Chisels, and Plane Blades for Wooden Hand Planes.

We are therefore offering an opportunity for turners to join part of our batch order.

The turning chisels will be ground flat and parallel top and bottom, and will have the cutting bevel ground at 30. The turning chisels will be made from 6.5 mm or 4.5 mm M2 HSS, heat treated to Rc 62 - 64.

To fill our 800 x 2660 mm sheets we are offering as range of skew, and parting tools based on dimensions provided by and DJ's Timber follows:

Skews

12 mm wide 250 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang Skew with a 30° skew made from 6.5 mm M2 HSS
    20 mm wide 250 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang Skew with a 30° skew made from 6.5 mm M2 HSS
    30 mm wide 250 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang Skew with a 30° skew made from 6.5 mm M2 HSS

6 mm wide, 150 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang Skew with a 30° skew made from 4.5 mm M2 HSS
    10 mm wide 175 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang Skew with a 30° skew made from 4.5 mm M2 HSS

Parting Tools

12 mm wide 250 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang parting tool with a 45° tip (Two Sides at 22.5°) made from 4.5 mm M2 HSS
    20 mm wide 250 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang parting tool with a 45° tip (Two Sides at 22.5°) made from 4.5 mm M2 HSS
    30 mm wide 250 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang parting tool with a 45° tip (Two Sides at 22.5°) made from 4.5 mm M2 HSS

Other Options

If you have any other suggestions for types of turning chisels, we welcome other suggestions.

Manufacturing

The steel will be supplied by Bohler in Melbourne, The chisels will be waterjet cut, and then heat treated in a Salt bath furnace by Surface Technology a.k.a. Sutton Tools. Milling and grinding will be undertaken by Rippon.

Price Breakdown

$14 M2 HSS Steel
    $6 Waterjet Cutting
    $35 Surface Grinding

Price Total

$50 per chisel and $11 postage to anywhere in Australia.

Payment Options

The preferred method of payment is via direct bank deposit. A pm will be sent out to members who decide to join in the batch order.
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hello - I am not well known in the turning forums, so let me introduce myself. I have been on the forum for the last 4 years, and have been most active in Hand Tool Forum.

I am currently a student a the ANU Furniture / Wood Workshop for the last two years.

I have a strong interest in hand tools, in particularly hand planes. While I have been two turn feasts in Melbourne, I am not a turner. I know the basics, and enjoy the causal turn.

In my time I have organized batch orders for Plane Blades for Wooden Hand Planes, Replacement Plane Blades for Stanley Bench planes, Brass Batch order, Pairing Chisel Order.

If you want to join in the turning chisel batch orders PM me Thumbsucker and I can add you to the list. We have about half of both sheets left over. The sheets will be cutting divided between plane blades, turning chisels, and firmer chisels.

I look forward to bringing turners into the batch orders. If enough turners express enough interest in turning chisels to fill a whole sheet, it would be possible to purchase a higher grade of steel, like Powder Metallurgy High Speed Steel. We can also consider thicker turning chisels like 8 mm or 10 mm thick scrapers.

Some folk may also be interested in scrapers Helmut, out of the 6.5mm thick stuff. Either square end, rounded end or a left curve - but they could grind these, or better cut them, themselves.

Just an idea.
    Cheers, Ern

Hi Ern - I was told that 6.5 mm is to thin for scrapers, to much vibration & chatter. However I am open to what people are willing to suggest. We can make square tipped blanks that people can grind however they want them.

We could get a thicker sheet if there is demand.

Would the skew chisels need to be surface ground ?

With a bevel on each side the grinding is just cosmetic, and expensive ?

A 25mm or 30mm M2 skew for $25 would be great !

IME when you buy a scraper it'll be 1/4" thick.

Certainly with long overhangs thicker is better and a HD scraper will be 3/8".

If you wanted to get entrepreneurial and capitalise on the current interest in 'Skewarts' (see current issue of Aus WWorker) then DJ could be occupied in his shed for some time
    Cheers, Ern

If you think that would work, sure, the chisel would be covered with black scale from the heat treating. You could use a steel brush to scrub it clean.

My observation is that turning chisels are much coarser surface grinding in comparison to fine bench chisels or plane blades, which tends to have a mirror finish. We could get a coarser surface grind and possible save on cost's.

Quote Originally Posted by pommyphil View Post
    Would the skew chisels need to be surface ground ? With a bevel on each side the grinding is just cosmetic, and expensive ? A 25mm or 30mm M2 skew for $25 would be great !
    Ern we could get a 10 mm sheet and make heavy duty scrapers.

We might be onto somthing here !

Maybe if they're "black and scaly" we'd only buy what we really need.

That polished steel, gleaming brass and rich red rosewood gets me every time

Hi,

Thanks for organising this. What ahuge amount of work you guys are going to! I'd love a 30mm skew in 6.5mm steel. I am happy to save costs on the surface grinding (ie, don't bother!) if that is an option. I am also happy to shape it myself if this is of any benefit to you - the square blank is fine.

Let me know when to pay.

Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by pommyphil View Post
    That polished steel, gleaming brass and rich red rosewood gets me every time
    I can visualise it - nice! Tool hooers rule

Helmut, kind of you to think about another venture. By all means test the water but my guess is that the demand for 10mm thick scrapers will be limited.
    Cheers, Ern

pommyphil making the surface grinding optional is no problem at all. So I have made a column in my spreadsheet for just this option.

It is important to be aware that the surface grinding not only makes the tool pretty, its man function is to remove the slight bend the steel will exhibit after heat treating. It will be a small amount between 0.1 mm to 0.3 mm. However such a bend is not a problem for turners I suspect.

IF you opt for no surface grinding the chisel price drops to $20 per chisel regardless of width. So that is a $30 saving.

Ozkaban I have out you down for a 30 mm skew @ 6.5 mm, with NO surface grinding.

Ern, if you think that 6.5 mm scrapers will work then I can make it an option.

Ern I am sure we could get 8.5 mm M2 sheet. The only problem would be that we would need to fill the whole sheet. So it all depends on what people want.

I have thought and have been asked about other "ventures", marking knives and chips knives is one from 2 mm steel.

Great stuff Helmut, put me down for a 20mm and a 30mm skew unground,

I can live with a point two mil curve

Let me know re dollars etc. Thanks again for doing this

Phil

Phil I have added you to the order.

I would like a 30mm x 6.5mm skew and a 30mm x 4.5mm parting chisel. no surface grind will be fine.
    I am learning, slowley.

thumb trimmer is offline less trimmed thumbs, more knocked knuckles

Just a question ... (and excuse my naivity)

Has there been thought made to getting some M2 scraper tips made?
    eg. similar to the tear drop shaped tips from the multi-tip tool?

... and if not, would this be a feasible enterprise (approx 3 or 4mm thick) ???

???
    Regards
    TT
    "I work to support my woodworking habit."
    "Turn it, don't burn it!"
    ... and my personal favourite ...
    "It's not a mistake, it's a design feature!"

Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast