Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Regarding the 7 mm sheet versus the 6.5 mm sheet, the blokes interested in the firmer chisels, and turning chisels unanimously would prefer the 7 mm thick sheet. The blokes interested in the plane blades would be happy with 5.5 mm.

Therefore I think we will go for the 7 mm sheet and we will water grind down the 7 mm to 5.5 mm for blokes for the wanting plane blades. For everyone else we will make the applicable tools 7 mm thick.

I got a quote from Russell the waterjet cutter and I have a quote for the steel sheets. I am however need to get quotes for the handles and the sockets. I will have them in two weeks.

So far the cost of M2 HSS, the waterjet cutting, the heat treatment and surface grinding comes to $55.65, per chisel, the socket should be about $4 and the handle about $6. So we are looking at about $65 per chisel without a handle and $75 with a handle at this point.

I will confirm final prices in the coming week.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

We have only used 0.86 on the 7 mm sheet, so we have a spare left, for members. PM me if you want pick up more firmer chills.

Default Socket Design

Hello All

I am talking with the CNC turners who will be doing the brass sockets for us. We are discussing some of the design issues with the sockets.

My initial drawings were for sockets that would stand up to the heaviest abuse that could be expected from such heavy firmer chisels.

The sockets are 31.7 mm at the widest diameter, this is exactly 1 1/4" which means that we get the most from the standard brass rod. The sockets measure 50 mm long and are tapered in the inside like traditional sockets. The socket mortice is 44 mm deep, and have a 4 mm thick wall. This is almost double what I have seen in most traditional sockets.

Do people think is is just right, over kill or to small for heavy duty firmer sockets? We could go with 25.4 mm but I think this is getting a little small. Remember that we are working with standard imperial brass incremented rod.

The shoulders on the chisels are 12 mm wide and the chisels are about a nominal 6.8 mm thick after surface grinding. Now if we get a 6 mm slot at the bottom (narrow end) of the socket this means that we have to open the slot 0.4 mm top and bottom for a total of 0.8 mm. Or the CNC people cut a 7 mm slot and we have a 0.1 mm space top and bottom of were the tang enters the socket.

The questions would you rather file away 0.8 mm to fit the tang or would you be happy with a 0.1 mm space top and bottom? To be honest the 0.1 mm is minute and will be better then what we would do by filling away by hand, also the slot corners are rounded so we will peen in tight regardless when the tang is driven home. However its your choice the most popular vote is what I will go with.

Below are the drawings. Can you get back to me asap so I can send the drawings to the CNC people.

I have forgotten what I have ordered. Can you remind me. But I would like a large firmer chisel with large socket added please. Handles not needed.
    Last edited by Pagie; 14th April 2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: bad memory
    I am learning, slowley.

Glenlara you are not down in my spreadsheet for any firmer chisels at the moment. Maybe you were accidently dropped of the sheet. We have the following size:

6 mm, 9 mm, 12 mm, 15 mm, 20 mm, 25 mm, 35 mm, & 45 mm.

What sizes were you interested in?

Glenlara you seemed to have disabled receiving PM's, so I cannot send a confirmation PM back to you. I have added a 45 mm firmer to your order.

Hello All

I am considering timber for the firmer chisels. Since these will be abused. I think we need a bloody tuff timber. Something that will not chip or shatter.

We also need something affordable.

• Spotted Gum is the natural choice.
    • I could get some Osago Orange. Its starts of very orange but tones down to a beautiful brown.
    • Jarrah is also an option.
    • I could get a local Red Gum that grows around canberra. Looks like river red gum but is more stable.

What other timber would people suggest?

Handle Shape

We also need a shape for the handles. I think we should have ferrules. We can get some steel tube cut into the right lengths.

I think this shape is what I am thinking about.

M2 HSS Firmer Bench Chisel Batch Order-picture-2-png

Also how fat and long would people like? Have a look at handles you have, find the ones you like and give me the dimensions. We can work something out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just got of the phone with Russell from Ultimate Laser who is doing the waterjet cutting for us. He says that we have filled the 7 mm sheet. So we are almost ready to go.

We are however now at 90% of the 4.5 mm sheet. We took to much away.

So if you want want to order some 4 mm thick plane blades PM or post in the plane blade thread.

Here is a list of the 4 mm thick blades:

• 25 x 4 x 80
    • 30 x 4 x 80
    • 40 x 4 x 50
    • 40 x 4 x 100
    • 40 x 4 x 200
    • 50 x 4 x 60
    • 50 x 4 x 100
    • 50 x 4 x 150
    • 54 x 4 x 180 Spiers Smoother

I finally found out how to turn on my PV. What do I owe?
    I am learning, slowley.

It looks like Russell the waterjet guy and I got our wires crossed. We have little to no space left, on the 4.5 mm sheet but we have lots of space left on the 7 mm sheet.

So I can take orders for 6 mm thick blades. Firmer Chisels and Turning Chisels.

Attached are images for the nesting. Showing how much space we have left on each.

Thumbsucker,

A couple of questions for you if you would be so kind.
    How are you going filling the M2 sheets?
    What would you anticipate as the time frame for these chisels?
    When do want us to start send you bucket loads of the folding stuff??
    Where do you want us to transfer it too?
    Thanks for everything your doing for us!

Regards Mick

TruckieMuzz is offline Handcrafting magnificent timber... into firewood!!

Hi Helmut,

PM'd you about a set with sockets amd handles, If I'm to understand the post re space on the 7mm sheet!

Cheers and beers,

Muzz

Old Gunny, javali, TruckieMuzz and Horaldic have joined the firmer chisel order and have therefore filled up most of the sheet. Any material left from the sheet will be chopped up and sold of to members.

I have been discussing the large socket with Nicole from Parish engineering. I had to make a small design changes to the socket to make it viable for production. Attached is a drawing.

The socket is 40 mm long 1 1/4" at its widest point and has both internal and external tapers.

Nicole said she will get me a the final prices sometime today. I will send out details to members via PM asap.

Looks good. Can you confirm that I have a 45mm chisel ordered? When do I have to pay and how much? thanks for all the work.
    I am learning, slowley.

Hi Glen you are down for 45 mm and nothing more.

I will send a PM out by the end of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenlara View Post
    Looks good. Can you confirm that I have a 45mm chisel ordered? When do I have to pay and how much? thanks for all the work.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast