Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Hi TS,

I would be interested in buying any 7mm that is left over.

Regards
    Ray

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ray its yours. I will charge you by the weight. You can see that in the photos their that there will be many good sections.

If ray doesn't want it all I would like enough to make a draw knife.. But i suppose you can't cut it.
    I am learning, slowley.

I am ok with RayG doing the grinding.

Its times to start collecting funds to get the ball rolling on the following orders:

• Paring Chisels
    • Firmer Chisels
    • Turning Chisels & Scrapers
    • Plane Blades for Wooden Handplanes

Now their are 57 members participating across all five orders. Totaling over 406 items. To see a complete list of what you have ordered please see the attached spreadsheet in PDF format I will by the end of this day send out a PM, to everyone of the 57 participants informing them, of what they have ordered, and how much they owe and into what account they need to transfer the funds into and by what date.

Here is the pdf.

Default A question of aesthetics

Hello All

I am going through the process of double checking the socket design before I send it to the CNC company for manufacturing. While basic sizes are set, there is a small but important aesthetic question to the detailing of the socket.

Now traditionally no socket chisel would be made the way we are doing it. Traditionally it would be been forged by a blacksmith and fitted so that the chisel, tang, and socket blend & follow the same outside line.

We however are using a modular component based method of construction, and therefore have other design choices/constraints. Now one of the golden rules of modern design is honesty. Be honest to the materials used, and reveal the construction method. An example is modern casework joinery. We show of our dovetails, our end grain, our M&T. We do not cover them with beading, lipping or carvings.

In short I have two options for you to consider, the fist is a round over transition between the socket and the chisel body.

The second is a shallow angled chamfer between the socket and the chisel body.

I have my own preference for the shallow chamfer. If you look at Harold & Saxon and the Bluespruce Bench chisels as two contemporary makers, they prefer a more defined crisp transition. They are being honest about the design, and not trying to pretend that its an antique tool. I also prefer the crispiness of the shallow angled chamfer over the round over as it looks to much like a molten toffee.

So ask yourself do want to imitation antique then the round over transition is your choice or do want something that belongs to your time and speaks of it as such, then the shallow angled chamfer is your choice.

Which ever design gets the most votes from those participating gets used.

Shallow angled chamfer for me but happy with the other one if it wins out.

I also replied to PM.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

TS

I agree with your preference, but will gladly go along with the majority.

Are we still waiting for an announcement from the second Stanley blade order:

"I also have something coooooool, on its way, that will make you all hopefiully a little envious."

Kapex

Thanks TS

I would prefer the shallow chamfer. I just prefer that styling. IMO the Blue Spruce are some of the best 'functional art" going around. I also responded to the PM.

Cheers

Horaldic

Over half the people have responded to the aesthetic question with all them bar two having voted for the shallow chamfer. Unless their is a major rally for the round over the shallow chamfer will carry it.

To date the only people to vote for the round over are ivorbigdeck, & Christos.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapex View Post
    "I also have something coooooool, on its way, that will make you all hopefully a little envious."
    I am planning to show the item to a few blokes when I come to Victoria this month. I will then get their comments and ideas. Then I will post it online.

Hello All

I have attached a pdf to the all of the threads related to the paring, firmer, turning chisel & plane blades for wooden plane blade batch orders.

The pdf contains corrections to what people have ordered. More importantly I have added a page at the bottom of pdf. Listing everyones member name, and what they owe for each of the batch orders. I have then totaled what is owing including postage in the green column. I have also included who has paid and what date.

This should make it easier to figure out what you need to deposit.

At this point only 14 people out of 60 have paid. If those remaining could do as soon as they can, we can get the order of the ground asap. If you cannot do so, please send me an email at:

thewoodworkingbatchorders at gmail dot com

Making sure to include your forum name so I know who you are

Future Batch Orders

For those who have not read has posted an announcement regarding future batch orders here.

This means that this current batch order is the last batch order we will undertake on this forum. I am considering some options. However it depends on how much people are interested in continuing these batch orders. I have a really nice idea that will expand the batch order while making the whole process simpler and quicker.

So in the mean time, I would like to shift communications away from PM to email. So can you forward me your email address to thewoodworkingbatchorders at gmail dot com. Making sure to include your forum name so I know who you are

Cheers

Thumbsucker

Default update: Paring, Turning, Firmer Chisel & Plane Blades Batch Order

Hello All

This is a quick post to say that Ultimate Laser, who are doing the water jet cutting for the Paring, Firmer, Turning, and plane blades for wooden planes batch order. Has received the two sheets of M2 from Bohler.

Russel inform me that the waterjet cutting should be done sometime this week. Then RayG will pick up the items possible next week sometime, depending on his schedule. I will transfer $2310.40 to RayG and he will pay in cash on pick up.

As more information comes to hand I will PM you.

Cheers

Thumbsucker

Default Three chisels are up for grabs.

Three chisels are up for grabs. Left over from a set of chisels that were broken up into singles.

We have the following sizes:

• 12 mm
    • 25 mm
    • 35 mm

Each chisel cost $65 and come with a brass socket, a wooden handle, and will only need assembly. If you want to claim one, just PM me or post in this thread.

Default Rock & Hard Place

Rock & Hard Place

I have sent PM's to members taking part with these patch orders, who are yet to pay for their share of the batch order. Saying that if I do not hear from them within 14 days that is by the 5th of October 2011. I will drop there name from the batch order and I will give there items up for grabs. Something I do not want to do because its a bugger of a task, finding and organizing people to pick up the spare items.

In short we are at risk stalling the batch order at the moment, members delaying paying their share OR not being active on the site OR simply hiding a total of $6500. This has created a problem with paying 3rd party manufactures. The waterjet cutter, and the brass socket manufactures, have both invoiced us for their respective job and will need payment within the next seven days, and we only have enough cash to pay one of them at the moment.

So if you still have not paid check your inbox and the rest of us, need to hope that everyone comes to the party asap.

I agree with you on the comments that you have made. Would be best to complete this batch orders.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast