Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

RayG

You're whetting our appetite. Please keep the updates coming and thank you.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hello All

The last few weeks have been trying for myself on varying fronts. Having to deal with the debacle with the postage of the Stanley batch order. Which has resulted in frayed nerves for everyone involved. Thankfully at this point we look like we have a resolution. Then I have been busy with my real work, that is preparing for my Grad. Dip. graduation and exhibition, which is now only 54 days away. In short I have been rather stressed.

Now regarding the Paring, Firmer, Turning, & Plane Blade Batch order. About two weeks ago. We took possession of all the items from the waterjet cutter. Here is a list of problems RayG and I are facing.

1. Many of the items were cut undersize in width. Now the reason for this is complex but has to do with the way the kerf of the waterjet, narrows and slopes as it travels through the material, now I had made sure to draw all items 0.5 mm oversize yet this seems to have been not enough. Now the width is not critical for the plane blades and the turning chisels. However for the firmer and paring chisels we are aiming for exact widths.
    2. Now RayG is crossing his fingers, and trying his best to work with what we have. It all depends on how much distortion we get from the heat treatment. Best case scenario we will just make it. Worst case scenario is that we machine every size down. So a 12 mm chisel becomes a 9 mm and 9 becomes a 6 mm etc. This means that we will need to re-cut all the large size chisels again. Luckily we have enough steel left over to do so. However this would be unwelcome. We would also end up with a bunch of 2 or 1.5 mm wide chisels, from the 3 mm chisels.

PEOPLE WHO MISSED OUT

A few people have PM me, seeking paring and firmer chisels. I spoke to RayG, now we have a good amount of 7 mm and 4.5 mm M2 sheet left. We can make more sets of anything to fill out those sheets. However Ray wants to finish the current batch order before we do so. So if you are interest in something, Pm me and I will put your name and want on a list.

FUNDS

The other problem we are facing is a cost overrun due to increased cost of the steel, and the problems with the waterjet cutters. I will not know by how much, I can only figure out how much we are short once the final bills come in.

At this point I have paid RayG $2000 for his work. Which is almost half of what we will end up owing him. We still need to pay for the Heat Treating which could be up to $2000. Then postage cost which will be about a $1000. Its going to be very tight.

I have not had time to check who has paid. Last time I checked everyone has paid something so as to secure their share. However we are still about $4000 plus short from members. I will check the bank figure out who is short and were and I will PM you.

We also have some plane blades still up for grabs from people who dropped out and we have a few 35 mm paring chisels and a few extra skews paring chisels, as the waterjet cutter for some reason cut extra.

This weekend I will go over the funds situation and count up the pennies. So expect an update shortly.

Photos

Now Ray has been surface grinding all the items. He is really working above and beyond the call of duty. I honestly feel that we should compensate him for this extra effort. So when the dust settles I will be asking for a donation for those willing to do so. Here are some photos of what has been going on.

ETA

Ray should have the pre-grinding done in the next two weeks. The next step is for the items to go the heat treaters. Now the heat treating could take up to two months. It should take only a few weeks, however by the time the steel gets shipped to the Salt furnace then back to Melbourne for cryo. Then admin, and billing and shipping back to Ray it all adds up. If we are lucky we will get the steel back before the xmas holidays. However if we do not then it could be mid January before the steel comes back from the heat treaters. In short I would not expecting these items before March 2012.

Because I am very busy with work and studies, I do not haver much time, I will however try to get any news to you as soon as possible.

Do you live in or near Moorabbin - I need someone to go to the Parish Engineering to pick up the sockets. They were done over a month ago and RayG has been unable to pick them up and the company wants to get rid of them asap.

This is the address:

48-50 Levanswell Road, Moorabbin,
    Victoria, Australia, 3189

If you can help send me an email. This is urgent and would be much appreciated. All you need to do is pick them up and hold them.

TS I can help with that.

Thank you Horaldic - I have sent you the details. Give them our apologies for taking so long.

I've collected the sockets, in two boxes. They are currently waiting in the boot of my car.

Horaldic

Took some shots of the sockets, let's see if I can put them up!

Thanks Horaldic

Starting to get excited now.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Bump, as much to bring the thread forward as anything.
    I am curious how things are progressing, and importantly how the costs are running?
    I will be away for two months shortly and out of touch so if a further call is necessary I may be unaware of it.
    Of course I am also eager to see the finished items and to give them a run.
    Regards from Bill.

Default Update

With christmas and the new year out of the way and my relocation still an undergoing saga. We have all been very busy. I spoke to RayG about a week ago about how he was going.

Ray tells me that he is almost finished the preliminary grinding and he is doing testing of heat treating. As more news comes available. I will post information.

Everyone has pad either all or sum of of their share. I still need to collect another $3000 from six blokes. I will chase them up in the next month. As for cost overrun I have had no time look into the details.

What's the state of play with the turning tools Helmut? Still on course for next month?
    Cheers, Ern

Ern - they are in the same pace as everything else. RayG is working on things. I cannot force him, or threaten him. Such thing never lead to anything productive. I can say that you will get more then what you paid for. Ray is going beyond the call of duty.

Hi TS,

I believe Ern was just asking casually. And I understand you've been under the gun due to other commitments. But, I don't think anyone is asking you to lean on Ray.

In my opinion, some comments and criticism hurled around the various group buys have been uncalled for. As in most custom manufacturing, the timeline will slide.

I think we need to take a step back and simmer down.

Regards,

Gunn

Hi Ern, Gunn, TS

Yes, don't lean on Ray...

Still on track for next month, depending....

I've still got to re-drill the hang holes, that the waterjet cutter stuffed up... but that's about all that's remaining to be done..

The extra blade for the other order, can go to heat treatment with this lot.

Also I'd like to do a full audit to make sure that we aren't missing anything.

Regards
    Ray

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast