Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default M2 HSS Firmer Bench Chisel Batch Order

I have been asked if I could make firmer chisels from the 6 mm thick M2, that we have left over from the wooden plane blades order. Since M2 is such a tuff steel it would be ideal for heavy duty chisels that you intent to smash with all your vigor. Using the same template and production process used for fine pairing chisels. We would include include the firmers chisels on the same sheet as the plane blades for wooden plane blades. So we will not have many sets up for grabs.

Production

The chisels will be ground flat and parallel top and bottom, and will have the cutting bevel ground at 25º. The chisels will be made from 6.5 mm M2 HSS, heat treated to Rc 62 - 64.

Options

Chisels can be picked up as individual chisels at the following sizes:

• 6 mm wide, 150 mm long chisel blade and a 75 mm tapered tang.
    • 9 mm wide, 150 mm long chisel blade and a 75 mm tapered tang.
    • 12 mm wide, 150 mm long chisel blade and a 75 mm tapered tang.
    • 15 mm wide, 150 mm long chisel blade and a 75 mm tapered tang.
    • 20 mm wide, 150 mm long chisel blade and a 75 mm tapered tang.
    • 25 mm wide, 150 mm long chisel blade and a 75 mm tapered tang.
    • 35 mm wide, 150 mm long chisel blade and a 75 mm tapered tang.
    • 45 mm wide, 150 mm long chisel blade and a 75 mm tapered tang.

Handels

Handles are optional and will come with ferrule and will be heavy duty to reflect the nature of chisel

Manufacturing

The steel will be supplied by Bohler in Melbourne, The chisels will be waterjet cut, since the chisels are 6.5 mm thick we can use a vacuum furnace for heat treating which is simpler and faster, which will de done by Surface Technology a.k.a. Sutton Tools. Milling and grinding will be undertaken by Rippon.

Bolster Versus Socket Discussion

We have have two options we could have a octagonal shaped bolster with a central slot laser cut for us, this would be the cheaper and more traditional solution. It would cost less then two dollars per bolster, plus another dollar for a piece of brass ferrule tubbing.

The other option would be to have a brass or stainless steel socket turned for much like we used for the pairing chisels, however we could make the sockets longer at about 50 mm, and have them with an internal tapper like a traditional socket.

Price Breakdown

These are preliminary prices based on past quotes. The cost is the same regardless of the width of the chisel.

• $14 M2 HSS Steel
    • $6 Waterjet Cutting
    • $35 Surface Grinding
    • $6 Large brass socket OR $3 for bolster & brass ferrule
    • $11 Handle with ferrule

Payment Options

The preferred method of payment is via direct bank deposit.

If you are interested in a bolster chisel post your interest in this thread.

Attached are some preliminary drawings.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

The price breakdown doesn't indicate any differences for chisel size so, for clarification, would it be correct to assume that all sizes will be the same price? and if not, are we able to get a rough (to the nearest $5-10) price for the sizes?

Thanks

Price is the same regardless of size. While their is actual price difference between a 6 mm and a 35 mm in terms of steel cost, the rest of the production process from waterjet to grinding is all the same, price per unit, set by the manufactures.

To keep things as simple as possible I work out the average cost for steel. This keeps administration on my end simpler and payment as well.

I am in for all eight chisels with handles (Blackwood? not sure). I am not sure on the socket or bolster. I am tending to go for bolster? I am not so big on a brass socket.

Sorry but there are too many not sures.

blackwood would be a lift soft for firmer chisels? I would have thought spotted gum, brush box, sydney blue gum, ironbarks, or ironwoods would be good basic choice. If you wanted something that you could smack about.

Questions are OK at this point, I will record your preferences, we can then see what other think and work something out.

At this point the following people have show interest in sets:

• Dj Timber
    • Thumbsucker
    • rat52
    • Christos

Helmut, I would be interested in a set of the firmer chisels with the brass socket similar to the paring chisels I have ordered. Add me to the list, this would make for a very nice set of working chisels for all situations.
    Regards Mick

Hi Helmut,

Please put me down for a 35mm & 45mm with large sockets

Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Polie; 22nd November 2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added sockets

Polie youhave been added to the list. What would your preference be, bolster or socket?

Regarding bolster vs socket, we can only go for one option, as we are constrained by the economy of scale when ordering things from 3rd part manufactures.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbsucker View Post
    Polie youhave been added to the list. What would your preference be, bolster or socket?

Regarding bolster vs socket, we can only go for one option, as we are constrained by the economy of scale when ordering things from 3rd part manufactures.
    Hi Helmut,

Socket thanks

Chris

You are an evil man and are tempting me. you must work for the devil.
    I am learning, slowley.

TS
    When will this end?

I would be interested in two sets and would prefer the socket.

The stainless idea would be good.

It would be great to get some mortice chisels done that could take a real beating?

Kapex

TS
    I would like a set with handles (preference is socket).
    Thanks, Bill

Hi Helmut,
    Put me down for a 35mm and 45mm, with sockets.
    thanks
    TM

Quote Originally Posted by Glenlara View Post
    You are an evil man and are tempting me. you must work for the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapex View Post
    TS
    When will this end?
    The firmers are a side show, and its only running to fill up space on the wooden plane blades sheet. So it will end asap. Their will not be another Stanley, Wooden Plane Blade or Pairing Chisel order after the current.

I would be interested in two sets and would prefer the socket.
    You are down for two.

It would be great to get some mortice chisels done that could take a real beating?
    I would love a good set of morticing chisels. I hate pairing mortices. However they are complicated because they are square in cross section, you would need to make them from assorted dimension round bar. They would then be milled into shape. Because of top face relieve angle, and the side edge edge relieve angle, that is allot material to remove, so it will cost more.

Then the question of is the socket part of chisel as traditional or is the socket separate like harold & saxon. The later is prettier, however more prone to damage due to brass and threading of components and once broken would be near impossible to repair were you can always weld on patches on a traditional style socket in 100 years.

The other problem is the most blokes want smashing heavy morticing chisels. Up to 25 mm square , that are like 250 mm long in the blade, as if you were deep sea fishing in the mortice. I prefer smaller ones 3, 4.5, 6, 9 mm wide and no longer then 125 like LN has they are furniture joinery morticing chisels, but people complain that they are to delicate. In furniture a 50 mm mortice is deep, and the odds are its not fine furniture.

I will definitely make some for myself someday but I cannot see them as a batch order.

Quote Originally Posted by gnu52 View Post
    I would like a set with handles (preference is socket).
    Its done.

Quote Originally Posted by TermiMonster View Post
    Put me down for a 35mm and 45mm, with sockets.
    Its done.

Default more chisels

I'm up for one set without handles thank you TS.

My preference is for the socket but since these are to be hit with force I'm worried about the lack of a shoulder at the tang on the smaller chisels to stop it being driven thru the socket and into the handle
    Don't force it, use a bigger hammer.

Timber is what you use. Wood is what you burn.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast