Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Start Carving

Default Start Carving

Hi all

I wish to start carving motiffs on small keepsake boxes (built by myself when I have learnt that art).

I have researched hand tools and handtools and come up that the palm held chisels might be the best as I don't think I would be using a mallot very often as it would only be pushing out the cut timber. Phiel tools seem quite expensive for now and I also believe you get what you pay for but what about U J Ramelson palm chisels. Are they any good till I find out that I really like carving. I was thinking in the line of a 6 piece beginners set.

Thanks for any advice.
    With kind regards and may the wood chips fly

Islander

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I think you will get a number of answers about palm tools. I have used a number of different brands over the years. Pfeil. Lamp, and Flexcut. I have come to prefer the Flexcut. I really like the way they fit in my hand. The wide flat blade gives me a great deal of control and I have been very happy with the way they hold an edge. Saying that, I would also suggest you also invest in a good selection of small mallet tools too. I think you will discover that you will have much better control of your cuts using mallet tools. Especially in the beginning. It took me some years to learn to control the amount of pressure I use with palm tools. I would also do practice cuts with scraps from the wood you are using. Each board can cut different.
    CV3
    Make today a day that will let you smile.

Default Carving tools

Thank you for that information. Although I am itching to get going I have a budget (not large to say the least) to stick to so I am trying to get a few basic types. Can you recommend some basic chisels one uses the most. I always find that the beginners set has one or two thrown in that the shop can't get rid of and one never uses.

Thanks for the info so far
    With kind regards and may the wood chips fly

Islander

Islander,
    Based on what you said you said you wanted to carve and you are just starting I would suggest you check out Nora halls web site. She offers a beginner package for around $500. It has a nice set of Dastra tools (good tools) mallet, 3 dvds some and study cast. I have most of her DVDs and I like how she teaches. Go to Nora Hall in search. It will be all you will need for a while. There may be others that have other thoughts. I have recommended this package to a number of friends who have really wanted to learn carving. Every one has seemed to be happy with it.
    CV3
    Make today a day that will let you smile.