Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Best budget chainsaw for wood carving?

I'm looking at a getting a chainsaw (around $400) for wood carving. I've looked at the Stihl ms170 - does anyone know a better make/model available that they would recommend for about $400?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Its usually a toss up between echo, stihl, dolmar and husqvarna for me. The Dolmar is the most durable but not quite as good a performer as the others in terms of engine efficiency, Husky's reputedly are the best all-round saws, though I've never owned one (but used a couple). Echo I've never used at all but they are popular in the chainsaw carving groups in the states. Weight is important for carving I wouldn't go above 3.5 kg for most carving purposes and I use a Stihl mini-boss to that end. My dolmar is for the heavier work (its about 55cc). Are you looking into getting a carving bar? I highly recommend one or two for both safety and satisfaction. If you are you need to figure your costs differently.
    \ I'm a second-hand tragic and couldn't resist offering a few ebay temptations. Take them with a grain of salt please:

THis echo looks over priced for the wear,

Echo 280E Chainsaw - Serviced (eBay item 250714352062 end time 20-Dec-10 04:28:56 AEDST) : Home

A good condition husky but possibly overpriced and only a pruning saw, but nice and lightweight, A fairly easy pick-up for you possibly. These retail in the states for as low as 350 us dollars while apparently you can pay over 800aus here.

Husqvarna 334T Arborist Chainsaw (eBay item 120649788507 end time 25-Nov-10 14:22:16 AEDST) : Home

Research! research! research!

Thanks Movay, that husky looks good and worth its salt.
    I plan to use a carving bar and will get it once I've bought a new chainsaw.
    I mainly use an arbortech and my last chainsaw (homelite=lethal limb remover) carked it after 10 years of misuse, and so I thought I'd go with something reputable this time.

I've got a GB carving bar which is actually Australian made... and well made.