Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Nutcracker Christmas toy soldier

This is the first time I think I have posted in the carving thread. I am trying to get my head around if I want to start a new learning curve in Wood carving. At present my knowledge is, zero , nilch, nothing. But you have to start somewhere to see if this game is for you or not.

My daughter has always wanted a life size Christmas soldier and a Santa and after completing some other projects for her have decided to see if this is possible for 2011 Christmas.

So, my question is where to start.

Is their any reasonable priced carving classes on the Gold Coast or in Brisbane.

What is a good book to start with?

Where can I get some plans?

What are the options with carving timber?

Where are the best timber dealers. ( Lazaridies in Brisbane have a range that might fit the bill.

What are the carving chisels of choice and who is a likely reseller.

There are some more questions but I will wait till I hopefully get some replies and see if I am not on my own and out of my depth.

Thanks

Pete

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Nutcracker Christmas Toy Soldier

First of all, how are you faring with the flood waters in Brisbane? You might have greater things to worry about than carving right now!

Regarding starting, I would suggest that you seek out the nearest wood carving club in your area. They are always looking for members and they offer great advice especially for the beginner.

You are taking on an ambitious project. The reason your post caught my eye was that I am planning to do a few nutcrackers myself this year. I would suggest that you try a few modest projects before you tackle a life size nutcracker.

If you look back thru the threads there are several that deal with starting up probly find what you need there