Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm out

Default Don't do it.

I had a real lapse of interest that lasted a few years. I was going to sell every thing and sold my radial arm saw. I couldn't even bear to go into the shed. Went stone cold on it. A couple of years ago my wife put on Foxtel and I began watching New Yankee Workshop and I became interested again and now am back in the shed more than ever. So don't rush into decisions that you will regret as I nearly did. I was lucky enough to buy my radial arm saw back too and have refreshed just about all tools in the shed. Shut the door and give it a rest.

Col.
    Good better best, never let it rest, until your good is better and your better best.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I've realised that I wasn't really interested in woodworking, more so just the end product. The "passion" was never actually there

No, there are no women involved

I'll keep my metalworking gear for the moment, clinging to the distant hope of making engines, but I'll probably sell it all eventually

Quote Originally Posted by funkychicken View Post
    I've realised that I wasn't really interested in woodworking, more so just the end product. The "passion" was never actually there

No, there are no women involved

I'll keep my metalworking gear for the moment, clinging to the distant hope of making engines, but I'll probably sell it all eventually

FC good on you

If your ever down this way let me know.

Ray

Andrew! I am sorry hear you are giving up woodworking but I am sure you have a great future ahead of you in whichever path you follow. It was my pleasure to meet you on several occasions and I know you are a great young man.
    I wish you every success for the future and hope that from time to time you may drop in on the forum and give us an update as to your progress in life. All the best my young friend, you have been a worthy contributor to the forum over the time and you will be missed. Good luck to you whatever you do and have a long and healthy life..
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Disappointing to see your views at the moment "Funky".

There are many on the Forum who by way of introduction
    say that they did a bit of turning when at school or in their
    "younger days". They have renewed their interest in their
    older age.

If you can afford it hang on to your equipment and you will
    be surprised just how often you need bits and pieces over
    the years. I hope you get your enthusiasm back in time.

Allan
    Life is short ... smile while you still have teeth.

It's official. I've started putting things up for sale in the marketplace.

Good luck with your new venture what ever that may be Funky, are you trying to lighten the load for a long trip or something. Like me and others it's hard not to try and persuade you not to give it up completely, maybe store the really good stuff at least. How about your She Oak collection

All the best FC, stick your head in & say G'day once in a while & let us know how you are going.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Ah yes, the sheoak collection... A shame to see it go but it should make me a penny or two. Any idea how I should sell all my timber? I have what you could call a plethora

Can you "mothball" your gear? I understand that there is a real and compelling reason for reaching your current decision but having options can give some peace of mind. You could look at it as deferring your decision to sell for a while.

However, if you are moving, then that could be a different problem altogether.

I've been putting it off for months, I've only just hardened up enough to do it.
    I'll be moving out of home in a while and all my gear will just sit under my parents house if I don't sell it. Everything will fall into disrepair and become useless. If I sell up then someone else can benefit

The majority are telling you to keep your hand tools. I agree with this, keep your hand tools.

Yes, I go along with the idea of keeping your hand tools, they always stay in vogue. The bigger machines and appliances will go out of style and become obsolete in time. Andrew s only 17 and if he renews his interest in woodworking in about 40 years or so, most of the machinery would be antiques by then.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by funkychicken View Post
    I've been putting it off for months, I've only just hardened up enough to do it.
    I'll be moving out of home in a while and all my gear will just sit under my parents house if I don't sell it. Everything will fall into disrepair and become useless. If I sell up then someone else can benefit
    Nah - get some old socks and rub some lanolin into them and store all your hand tools in them - they will last a Looooooooong time - much longer than you even. I have a hammer that belonged to my FILs great grandfather and several hand saws that belonged to his grandfather and they all still work.

I've had many in's and outs with woodworking.

I started when I was ~5 and by the time I was 17 I had basically stopped, then I picked it up again when I was in my mid twenties for ~5 years. Then everything stopped again for about 20 years while I travelled and worked overseas and got side tracked into computers and a busy day job. I only got back into it about 9 years ago. I still have most of the hand tools my uncle gave me when I was 13 and I still use them and I'm really glad I've kept them.

Unhappy

That is a bit sad Feathered One!!

Been wondering about your absence in these parts.

All the best to you mate, whatever you do!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast