Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Have I missed anything...?

Hi

Just wanted the advice from the floor about workshop setup. I am in Afghanistan and currently planning my workshop for when I return home in June. I don't tend to do things by halves so I have/am in the process of purchasing this equipment in one hit:

GPW 10/12 table saw
    Incra TS-LS WF system
    Woodpeckers/Incra Sidewinder router lift
    CMT dovetail/straight bit set
    30/50/80 tooth Freud saw blades
    Oshlun dado set
    Bosch 1617EVS router (110V)
    Bosch 1274 DVS belt sander (110V)
    2000W step down transformer (I have calculated this will be ok... thoughts?)
    45 piece MLCS router set (couldn't justify the comparative cost of CMT)
    Incra 1000HD
    GPW 15" bandsaw
    Incra V27
    Wixey calipers, digital height gauge, protractor, digital angle gauge, planer readout, saw fence readout
    GRR-Ripper System Advanced x 2

On the list for purchase when I get home is:
    Thicknesser (no more than $500)
    8" jointer (no more than $600)
    Shed
    Dust collecter

At home I have the usual tools and clamps with my current workhorse, a Bosch 12" SCMS with stand (tempted to buy the gravity rise stand). What I would like is your opinions on equipment I should buy when I get home

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Damn enter key!

Pressed enter a bit early editing my tags! As I was saying before I cut myself off I would like advice on the things I should buy when I get back. I have had to scale back my plans of grandeur (a Jet JPT310) due to lack of space and budget so am looking at what jointer and router will get me by until I can convince my wife I am worth spending more money on!

I am currently looking at getting into box making and have focused my purchases around that, however would like to make some small furniture pieces as well. As I mentioned I am currently very limited for space and to combat this am going to have a workshop on wheels and stow away my gear in a lockable shed when I am done.

Help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

James

gday james and belated welcome to the forum
    I have limited space so all of my gear is wheeled PITA not having the space but what can you do? it just takes a bit more planning and time to setup
    I have 17inch bandsaw ,14 inch bandsaw,router table,10 inch tablesaw(contractors),6 inch jointer ,12inch jointer, 15inch thicknesser,large drill press and a torque workcentre(TWC) http://torqueworkcentres.com/ lots of festool gear(dont buy any once you start its almost impossible to stop)
    And too many hand tools and gadgets to mention
    If I was setting up my workshop from scratch I would seriously start with the TWC and start from there this has been the most surprising addition as it enables me to cut down 2400x1200 size sheets of material safely,easily and accurately then it becomes an overhead router ,huge drill press, surfacer thicknesser/sander and much much more
    It really is the most versatile piece of equipment I own it isnt a gimmicky plastic piece of carp but a solid ozzie built piece of engineering that I haven't found the limits of .
    the jointer is another essential item as I find most timbers are not square or uniform in size which makes accurate woodworking difficult so being able to dress timber to size helps a lot when box making
    regarding stepdowns more is usually better
    I have the festool kapex 120 for a scms and as far as accurate ease of use cant do better although the one PITA is trenching it is very limited
    I understand that the bosch is a good piece of kit
    anyhoo thatll do for now
    cheers
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they
    bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs .

Default Cheers for the info

The Torque Work Centre looks interesting, however I have already started down the path of conventional saw/router table setup. Also, when I say I am limited for space I am really limited for space. I live in a townhouse with no back yard or garage so am currently getting my head around a creative storage solution. I have put the cart before the horse in that I have bought some rather bulky tools with nowhere to put them, but I'm sure the missus won't mind having the bandsaw in the bedroom !