Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default What glue should I use?

:confused:
    I have been asked to make a nest of tables. Up until recently almost all of my makings were for my immediate family so there was not likely to be any problems if a glued joint failed. I know that failures of joints can be caused by poor consruction or using the wrong joint for an application, but that aside what glue is best? Or is it a case of different glues for different purposes. Perhaps a glue for jointing table tops and a glue for mortice and tennons? As my work goes into the world I do not want any small reputation for quality I am trying to achieve to suffer due to my using inferior glues. Until a few years ago I used the common sellys PVA and I had no problems. But in the last few years I have used a cross linked PVA and triton glue, both of which seem to work well. I am not so sure about the triton glue for table tops as I seem to be getting a bit of trouble with small ridges at the glue lines. What do other people use?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thumbs up World's Best Glue

Try Garret Wade 202GFG available online from http://www.antongerner.com.au/202gf.html

I have tried many glues but find this to be exceptional. It sets up fairly quickly (but not so fast that you can't work with it) fills small gaps well, and is exceptionally strong. I've never had a joint fail using this glue.

I recommend a sticky one.

Photo Gallery

You've answered your own question.

There is no perfect glue. My work is done with the idea that it will last hundreds of years. So in that time there is going to be restoration needed. So in areas where you think parts may need to be removed, repaired... it would be better to use a glue that can be softened with heat/steam to allow easy removal with out damage. This would be joints such as the mortice joints used to attach the legs to the apron... Epoxy could be used to glue up the solid wood tops where even if there is a need for repair its unlikely that you'll need to separate the pieces with heat/steam.

[QUOTE=chook]:confused:
    Or is it a case of different glues for different purposes. Perhaps a glue for jointing table tops and a glue for mortice and tennons?