Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default New triton Router fitting question?

I have just brought a new triton router to replace my makita in the triton router table. I have the RTA 300 table but am a bit confused as to whether I have the latest version of the router clamp plate and mechanism. My version has two Keeper plates whichl ocate against the base of the router and have the two clamps to hold the router on. the router sits on the router plate which, I suppose, gives it the maximum depth.

Anyway, if it is the latest plate then does anyone have some fitting tips for a new triton router to ensure everything goes smoothly.
    Cheers
    Jock

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Jock_Jock

I have the RTA300 but mine is the earlier version which has two claw like clamps and the router sits down on two half moon shaped plates and the clamps can be moved around the half moon shaped plates to clamp the router in any convenient spot.

I usually mount my router so that the switch is on the right hand side so it is easy to get at through the mitre slide hole and I can squeeze the ratchet ring with my right hand.

I believe the latest one uses the two bolts that are in the router with the wing nuts and you just loosen the wing nuts and the bolts fit into holes in the mounting plate.

Hope that helps. If you haven't got the manual you maybe able to look at it on the Triton website.
    Last edited by Barry_White; 13th November 2004 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Additional Comments

Sounds like you have the Mk.1 mounting. The Mk.2 plate is double thickness, with the mounting bolts from the Triton router going thru the first plate. Just ask your local store to order you a new mounting upgrade kit - it is a standard item from Triton

Thanks for the replies guys. I have the same plate as Bazza with the two u shaped plates and clamps which work on a cam principle. I can't seem to find a picture of the mk 2 plate on the triton site. Can anyone help with a picture? My local suppliers are often not up to date with the latest triton gear and often only try to sell you what they have got.
    Are there any real advantagesover the earlier plate. I got a great price on the router so don't mind spending a bit more if the mounting plate is better.

Cheers
    Jock

P.S. Bazza - made your version of the cyclone yesterday. Works a treat. Thanks!

Smile

Have the same plate, a little fiddly and annoying and difficult to place the router back into the exact same spot once its been taken out. As has already been suggested you can order the new plate or alternatively make one... I have made one a few months ago... took about 1 hour but definitely worth it, the router is much more stable and the spindle always at 90o to the table... nice for making dadoes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_Jock
    P.S. Bazza - made your version of the cyclone yesterday. Works a treat. Thanks!
    Jock

It was Sturdee's idea I just modified it a bit to suit me.