Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default The best woodturning event ever....

.... in Horsham, since 2010!

Yep, it's on again... You Turn Horsham. And why wouldn't it be, especially after last year's block buster. Actually I should call it a back buster but that's another story.

When: Saturday April 30 - Monday May 2.

All welcome no matter what your woodturning ability. Non turning partners (we call them Turnips) made welcome too, with some activities planned for them.

What: Its a weekend of woodturning. Bring your lathe (some spares available for those with precious, virtually un-transportable Stubbies and others) We share ideas and stories and a bit of bull dung. Some also carve and others burn. But one thing seems to be common to all and that is that we all have a very worthwhile and enjoyable time.

The food is great as is most of the company, but you will have to put up with ! Actually (in all seriousness) he is wonderful to have along because he is generous beyond the call with his advice to anyone seeking some expert input.

Jim and Irene (Carrolls Woodcraft Supplies) are also regulars (you can't keep them away) offering their excellent customer service and advice. And that big hairy woodturner (Shane Wolf) drags his big hairy lathe up as well (see, if he can transport a Stubby there ain't no excuse for others getting their Vicmars or Woodfasts to Horsham)

We haven't been able to convince Ken Wraight to turn up (he blames this on the fact it's near the time of his birthday) so if we can get some public pressure happening and perhaps organise a cake (I'll even buy the 68 candles needed!) we might be able to tempt him.

Accommodation is not on-site but we can help. Some look after themselves and others bring up their caravans and stay on-site. I book a few cabins for the rest at the local caravan park. This seems to work well.

For more info contact me at: [email protected] or ring 03 5384 6324

Don't leave it too late. We have a maximum number of 80 and that's the number we had last year.

Hope to see you in Horsham.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

As Brendan says! It's a great long weekend and can be highly recommended. Great food and camaraderie.
    The organization by Brendan and his team is great and as stated, , Jim, Shane and others an only too willing to help the novice (and more experienced) turners.

I am looking forward to attending again this year with much anticipation.
    Brendan! If it takes bribery to get KenW to attend, I am willing to contribute to the Birthday cake slush fund!
    Russell (aka Mulgabill)
    "It is as it is"

Default The Horsham U Turn.

Hi to all Woodbeturners,
    Well here is your chance to learn a few more Skills in the Art of Turning.
    Even with , Shane & with Jim & Irene, you also have Brendan who is only to glad to help out with any Turning Problems you may have + He has to help run the Show as well.
    Anyway, along with Russell, my Wife & I are in also.
    Don't forget, this Show can only Accommodate 80, so that is down to 73 now.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

just tell ken W that its like the prossy turnout without the heat and humidity

Quote Originally Posted by mkypenturner View Post
    just tell ken W that its like the prossy turnout without the heat and humidity
    There is also the possibility of Rain, but it is indoors so no getting wet feet.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Stay safe Brendan and all in Victoria. Hope you escape the floods. My workshop went under in the Brisbane Floods on Wednesday...luckily I haven't been damaged as much as others..prob $2k - $3k.

Be careful and get to high ground

Thanks skot. All high and dry out my way. Just the usual leaks in the workshop.

However; YOU TURN IS STILL GOING AHEAD. The venue should've dried out well and truly by then. So get to it and register before its too late.

Quote Originally Posted by brendan stemp View Post
    Thanks skot. All high and dry out my way. Just the usual leaks in the workshop.

However; YOU TURN IS STILL GOING AHEAD. The venue should've dried out well and truly by then. So get to it and register before its too late.
    They may have new carpet in there as well.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

or better still,

none at all. Glad to hear you and yours are ok.

Yes Brendan! What said!
    I have been wondering how you fared at McKenzie Creek. Very glad everything is OK!
    Russell (aka Mulgabill)
    "It is as it is"

Quote Originally Posted by skot View Post
    Stay safe Brendan and all in Victoria. Hope you escape the floods. My workshop went under in the Brisbane Floods on Wednesday...luckily I haven't been damaged as much as others..prob $2k - $3k.

Be careful and get to high ground

Best wishes Scott for getting back up and running with the flood damage. Us Victorians had a pretty bubsy flood compared to yours; wet feet in the main, not a complete drowning.

The water went 1.3m deep into the workshop..it can make your heart sag walking chest deep into the darkened workshop and knowing what's below the surface but every Day has it's little victories....one of the first last week was getting my battery operated vernier to stop giving me wacky readouts...it now works fine.

Tested 3 tools today Jig Saw, SMCS & 8" bench grinder which went under water last Wednesday, on a neighbour's generator. All worked perfectly....I'm confident that the Lathe, Bandsaw & Thicknesser motors will respond positively as well.