Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Vacuum Pump - suitable for Vacuum Clamp?

I was just having a look around ebay and saw this pump. Is this suitable for a vacuum clamp?

NEW REFRIGERATION AIR CONDITIONING VACUM VACUUM PUMP (eBay item 200561495417 end time 03-Feb-11 10:04:05 AEDST) : Industrial

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

yes i use a similar one for pulling a vacuum on carbon fibre

a good vacuum is -14psi , you wont get any more because there is nothing for the pump to pump , vacuum is measured in "inch HG" basicly how mugh mercury it can move , this pump should get a true 29-30hg if left for a long time ( the grater the vacuum the longer it takes to get there )

you will need an air filter to stop debris getting in the pump , also a tank is a good idea , any liquid will end up in the bottom of the tank , not in the pump ,

i use a 60lt "out of date" car LPG tank as a tank , and used flexible plumbing connections to join the pump up , but i have epoxy travelling down the pipe into the tank , think i have about 1kg of epoxy in the tank now , my 3 cubic foot per minute pump will pull 60lts of air to 10hg in 30sec , 20hg in 2 min , and 20min to get to 28hg

these pumps can be left running for a long time , yes they get hot but i have ran mine for 12 hours at a time over 100x times

you will also need a bypass valve so you can let air into you clamps when you want to release it , when you turn the pump off it will hold its vacuum

a fine mist of oil will come out the exhaust and make mess around the pump , you will need access to the oil level window , and on mine i have to tip the pump vertical to add oil or change the oil , after a 100 hours use or when the oil go's dark

Cool. I'll file that away for use in the future.

Default Oil Plume ... yuk!!

John,

I had great trouble with the plume of oil mist coming from the pump ... I tried putting a bit of irrigation pipe on the pump and then piping it out of a window, but still seemed to get lots of oil around the place. I can lend you mine if it helps you make a decision!

I have gone for a venturi working off my air compressor and have found it fantastic. I was going to make the whole vacuum pump kit that I found on Veneers.com (or similar), but found that with the sort of vacuum clamping that I use, I did not need the reservoir and cut out switches ... that is more atuned to vacuum clamping bags where veneers are being glued over a long period.

Cheers,

Alan
    4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

Hi Alan,

It will be a few Months (or more) before I'll be looking at a vacuum clamp. I just stumbled across the pump on ebay. I might have to pick your brain when it comes time.

Will watch this closely, been thinking about a vac pump for ages, don't want to make a plenum but instead run pods as they are easy to work with, easier to change around so you don't end up with vac leaks when you cut through the wood and gives more options for raised workpiece jigs like full roundovers and others.

Been looking at these pumps or thinking about finding a secondhand air compressor from a garage sale and switching the hardlines to reverse the head. Cheap pump and the storage tanks are already available. I think Greg converted an air compressor... any reviews on this???

Daniel