Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tasmania

Default tasmania

i am driving down (across on the ferry) to tasmania in feb and am trying to find some places to viist that may sell craft timbers ... not going out west this trip nor to the east coast but will (obviously) hit devonport and travel to hobart (could sidetrack to launceston) ... will spend a few days in hobart and can travel from there ... i have found a couple around hobart but am sure there must be more around

thanks in advance for any help

regards david

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hmm, my experience with the easily accessible places last trip over was a bit disappointing.

All kept the same kind of limited range of stuff: b/h sassy, huon, some blackwood, std myrtle, Tiger myrtle etc. Maybe some celery top or King Billy if you were lucky. Often green and not esp. cheap.

It's out of your way but if you're looking for something more interesting then try Cockatoo Timbers in the NW. But you need to be specific there about what you want or else you won't get to see their 'top shelf' stuff.
    Cheers, Ern

Default Island specialty timbers

Try this mob.
    Myrtle and Eucalypt Green Burls « Green burls « Shop Categories « IST

very good prices for bulk, dunno if its on your route tho' .
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

They are down south of Hobart. Nice drive down there and virtually on the way to the Tree Top Walk.

Yeah, I visited them when last in Tassie on the motorbike. At the time their range was limited. Your luck might be better as of course stock fluctuates. I did pick up a spekky Eu burl square (green, waxed).

What struck me at the time was the amount of figured or burl Myrtle over there that I hadn't come across on the mainland. Beautiful stuff and like butter to turn.

I still have a blank of Tiger Myrtle burl from that trip.

Added: pic of the Eu burl, turned green
    Cheers, Ern

thanks for the replies

i am not planning to go to the west this trip but will try the other place south of hobart as a day trip

regards david

Will put another vote forward for Island Specialty Timbers in Geevestown when you're down Hobart way. I have brought from them in the past and had to question whether he had costed all my wood or had made a mistake adding it up... so I added more wood to my pile
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

thanks ... i spoke to my wife about it and we are going to have lunch at huonville with some friends (they live near hobart itself but one of their parents is in aged care at huonville and they visit twice a week anyway) one day and go down to geevestown afterwards ... we have just booked boat and accommodation and are staying at salamanca so it should all be easy ... going 3rd week in feb

thanks again

regards david

Quote Originally Posted by robbygard View Post
    thanks ... i spoke to my wife about it and we are going to have lunch at huonville with some friends (they live near hobart itself but one of their parents is in aged care at huonville and they visit twice a week anyway) one day and go down to geevestown afterwards ... we have just booked boat and accommodation and are staying at salamanca so it should all be easy ... going 3rd week in feb

thanks again

regards david
    Give me a call 0417 119 800, I'm 20 minutes south of Hobart, could catch up for a coffee and run through a few suppliers to visit.
    Kev

Default tassi trip

HI from john t. in deloraine when traveling from devonport to hobart there is a sawmill at Elizabeth town first on the left past ETC CAFE called samual st. on the left a bit of windy road, go to the end of bitumen turn right into north st,go to the end of the road and you will find BLUE TIER ENTERPRISES sawmill he sells blackheart sassy blackwood tigermyrtle celerytop plus other spieces phone 63681441 0437250100
    or phone me on 0409623024 for further drictions.only to willing to help.

regards john tracey

Quote Originally Posted by KevM View Post
    Give me a call 0417 119 800, I'm 20 minutes south of Hobart, could catch up for a coffee and run through a few suppliers to visit.
    thanks will do

regards david

thanks folks ... that's probably enough of them now ... my wife won't want to spend the whole time going to sawmills

regards david

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    HI from john t. in deloraine when traveling from devonport to hobart there is a sawmill at Elizabeth town first on the left past ETC CAFE called samual st. on the left a bit of windy road, go to the end of bitumen turn right into north st,go to the end of the road and you will find BLUE TIER ENTERPRISES sawmill he sells blackheart sassy blackwood tigermyrtle celerytop plus other spieces phone 63681441 0437250100
    or phone me on 0409623024 for further drictions.only to willing to help.

regards john tracey

thanks for that

regards david

There used to a place called "Fairy Land" or something similar on the right hand side of the main road towards Hounville/Geevestown area. The name was a bit off putting but a woodworker's eye catcher inside. The lady was a very good woodturner and wood crafter and was very help full. Her workshop and wood stack made me drool and I ended up with a Prado full of wood.
    This was about 4 years+ ago so I don't know if she is still there. Anyway it's worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by WOODbTURNER View Post
    There used to a place called "Fairy Land" or something similar on the right hand side of the main road towards Hounville/Geevestown area. The name was a bit off putting but a woodworker's eye catcher inside. The lady was a very good woodturner and wood crafter and was very help full. Her workshop and wood stack made me drool and I ended up with a Prado full of wood.
    This was about 4 years+ ago so I don't know if she is still there. Anyway it's worth a look.

thanks for that ... will keep an eye out for it

david

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast