Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lure of Sirens

Default Lure of Sirens

Some of you will have seen on one of my other threads where I found a piece of old copper cladding while scuba diving. The copper was pretty sweet as it was so I washed it and sealed the copper with Nycote a chemical resistant coating and then put a coat of matt estapol to give a matt finish. The sea, ocean etc has a certain allure to people, sailors, surfurs, swimmers, scuba divers but through carelessness or misfortune you can soon die from this beautiful trap. The copper sheet represents mans entry into this world, hanging from the top of the sheet representing the danger is a shark hook on a wire trace. The whole thing hangs like a large mobile, very simple but I realy like it. Art with a bite. Hope you like it.
    PS I may have to get a bigger hook, this one is about 75mm long but in proportion to the copper it looks quite small in photos.
    The whole thing is also like a large fishing lure.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Interesting! I don't think the hook needs to be bigger! The holes around the egde are crying out for something to be threaded through them though. How about the string threading through a few of the holes? What is the string? Is it proper fishing line? Do you have an authentic knot on it? (Some pedant who comes into the gallery will know what it should be. ) Amazing looking bit of copper that;s for sure!
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Hi TL, did't want to clutter it up to much, the piece of copper is very busy on its own. The hook and line (wire trace) were also found while diving so its all authentic. Even the swivel on the top came up from the depths. I have the copper nails that came out of the holes, I could refix some of those back in. They were falling out as I came up from the bottom so took them out and put them in the pocket of my BC so I wouldn't loose them.

Quote Originally Posted by Claw Hama View Post
    Hi TL, did't want to clutter it up to much, the piece of copper is very busy on its own. The hook and line (wire trace) were also found while diving so its all authentic. Even the swivel on the top came up from the depths. I have the copper nails that came out of the holes, I could refix some of those back in. They were falling out as I came up from the bottom so took them out and put them in the pocket of my BC so I wouldn't loose them.
    That's alright then!
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Kool, thanks for the feed back TL.

Fascinating bit of copper. Would look great in-layed into a table top.

Hi Lig, I thought about that but when you see it in real life it is very bent and twisted. In the centrer it sits 100 mm off the bench so I think to flatten it would kill much of its appeal. While flat it looks like a topagraphical landscape model, mountains, valleys, trees etc. I did think of putting a plaster cast backing and laying it flat but opted for the hanging aproach.

I can't help but think you may have found a friend along the (fishing) lines of one of my favs the one and only R. Rauschenberg. From memory I have bigger hooks stowed away here if you need one. Ok now I'm guunna have to fish them out to see if I'm only imagining they're bigger than 75mm Love it Craw

Thanks Springy, I'm being told at this end that it doesn't look like I have done enough to it but I like the simplicity and the rawness, not to tizzed up. I just measured the hook and its 90mm long, its a serious hook, I think its maybe a 10/0. It hadn't been on the bottom long it was only just starting to loose its shine when I found it.

Returning triumphant from shed Ah but these are 100 mm nah nah ner nah nah Not sure whats going on with where the eyelet sposed to go though
    Attachment 159649

They're gaff hooks that go on a pole, you drill a small hole hammer the spir in and then bind it with twine and you have a gaff. They don't have a barb on the hook either. Still nice looking hooks Springy. Hmmm they would be good for something you could even make a gaff

they're gaff hooks little gaff hooks said going back to the shed

Thumbs up

Men in black tights get to find some interesting "pieces".

Like it a lot. Would look great at my place!

Hi artme, glad you like it. With a little luck I'll get all black and sexy again this weekend and see what I can bring up. You never know what you'll find. Someone will most likely find my car key from last week and wonder what it was from. Buggr, that reminds me I must get another spare cut.

Default sirens

Hi, I cant post photos till the wife comes back but I own a piece of sculpture that might appeal to you. Its by an artist called Anita Larkin who amongst other things won a peoples choice award at Sculpture by the Sea in 2002 with a big timber,metal & found objects work called "Whirl " Mine is called "Murmer" & is a carved blue gum figure 30cm high that rises out of a solid base of blackwood & incorporates typewriter keys,copper tubing,a funnel,a teastrainer & other bits of metal. I know thats a bit cryptic but trust me its a great example of mixed materialsIt has a story but I wont attempt it till I can post the photos. You can find a photo of "Whirl " on flicka. Cheers MICK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast