Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Advice and help needed for Year 12 woodwork project (HSC final Design)

Hey Guys,

I am about to go into year 12 in South Australia. I would like to get the majority of my planning and prep for woodwork done these holidays before school starts again unfortunately this means no teacher advice is available so any and all help is much appreciated

We have complete and total freedom of design for our project next year and its quite daunting. I am keen to make a small project and focus on Quality of construction and Wood selection.
    My favourite idea so far has been to make a Chess board with two drawers for pieces.
    I would like to make it from Walnut and Maple for their contrasting colours.

If you guys have ANY suggestions at all for "Do's" and "Dont's", Joint types, board construction with even squares or alternate timber choices it would be greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

There are a few examples on the forum. Use the Search tool and look for "chess". My favourite is https://www.woodworkforums.com/f40/co...n-build-94819/

Good luck with it. Not sure if the system is the same in SA, but in NSW the portfolio that goes with the work (showing how you came up with the design, materials lists, etc) is a critical part of the project.

ajw

Quote Originally Posted by ajw View Post
    There are a few examples on the forum. Use the Search tool and look for "chess". My favourite is https://www.woodworkforums.com/f40/co...n-build-94819/

Good luck with it. Not sure if the system is the same in SA, but in NSW the portfolio that goes with the work (showing how you came up with the design, materials lists, etc) is a critical part of the project.

ajw
    Ah thanks ajw,

I am still new to the site and didn't even know it had a search function!

From what i gather the system is much the same. We need a folio of design process and such which is what i working on at the moment.

I just thought with such an incredible range of resources on this page i might ask for some help!

I have drawn some plans on paper with a three part "Sandwich" construction consisting of:
    A top layer (board and surrounding frame)
    A carcass box for the middle part that is smaller than the top allowing for an overhang.
    A bottom frame that is a mirror of the top.

for the middle carcass I would like to use "corner post" dovetails to try and gain extra marks, have you had any experience with these joints? what are they like to make and how do they hold up?

similar to this:
    http://www.nickbee.com/images/spaltmaple044.jpg

thankyou

Ah thanks ajw,

As far as i can tell the system is much the same between the states. I need to compile a design process folio which is what i am working on at the moment! I am trying to gather any and all information possible! This involves reading a whole stack of AWR mags but sadly none that i have access to has a chess board of similar construction. So I just thought with such a wealth of knowledge available on the site i might chuck out an SOS!

I wish to make something similar to this:
    http://www.chesssethq.com/images/hos_storage_board.jpg

This would have three layers; the top containing the board and mitred picture frame surround with the bottom having the same dimensions only no board and the middle box carcass would be smaller to create an overhanging edge. My biggest problem is how to join the centre carcass together, i would like to use corner post dovetails similar to this:

http://www.nickbee.com/images/spaltmaple044.jpg

however i don't really have an idea of how to construct these has anyone had any experience with these? and how did they fair?

Thanks

Those corner dovetails can be tricky to do. Depends on your tools and skill level. Have you cut lots of dovetail joints before? You've got some time to practice, so have a go and see what you can do.

There is a lot of complexity you can add to your project without using that style of dovetail. I'd focus on the top and the drawers. You can show off dovetail joints in the drawer construction.

Have you used SketchIt from Google? Takes a bit of time to learn, but lots of woodworkers use it to draw 3D images of their projects.

ajw

Tasmania:Dover,Burnie,launceston,Devonport,Hobart,Geeveston-have taught in Adelaide,Melbourne

Default tech teacher advice

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWorker View Post
    Hey Guys,

I am about to go into year 12 in South Australia. I would like to get the majority of my planning and prep for woodwork done these holidays before school starts again unfortunately this means no teacher advice is available so any and all help is much appreciated

We have complete and total freedom of design for our project next year and its quite daunting. I am keen to make a small project and focus on Quality of construction and Wood selection.
    My favorite idea so far has been to make a Chess board with two drawers for pieces.
    I would like to make it from Walnut and Maple for their contrasting colours.

If you guys have ANY suggestions at all for "Do's" and "Dont's", Joint types, board construction with even squares or alternate timber choices it would be greatly appreciated!
    Hi
    Dont forget the limitations of the school workshop and the materials that you will be able to use. Knowing these will help you Design and make a successful project. It is a reals shame that you have to invent the wheel just like every other student.....look at past projects....successful and not so successful. In fact you can learn more from ones that have failed....for what ever reason.
    GOOD LUCK