Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thanks very much alan, that's much appreciated. I would like a Samson based on your recommendation. Failing that there is this thing on ebay:
    SANDBLASTING GUN SANDBLASTER POT & NOZZLE SANDBLAST (eBay item 170600129074 end time 09-Mar-11 07:50:24 AEDST) : Home

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    Greg,

If you were going to do it outside why not lay out a large cheap blue tarpaulin and turn up the rear to form a backdrop. If the tarp was big enough, the blasting media would run out of puff and fall harmlessly onto the sheet facilitating collection and reuse. Just an idea.

Bob.
    Good idea Bob. That might ruin the spontaneity of the whole enterprise, but a good idea. I guess the very few items to do should mean a manageable mess.

Greg

Greg, the spout hole looks too big, from memory and without measuring, the Samson was about 3.5 or 4mm. I made some spares and also several for the fellow who helped me out, who unfortunately is no longer in business. Alan.

OK, thanks for the information Alan. I'll delete that one from my watch list then.

Default Air Boy

Greg,

I have one of these. I had a go at using it once a fair while ago and my recollection of the event was that it was a pain in the neck. I was using garnet as media and realized that the lathe saddle I was trying to clean was going to take a long time. That long that I gave up and used paint stripper. The garnet went everywhere. The gun itself is quite a nice bit of gear, made in Denmark and cost about 50 bucks. The gun might be better suited to delicate work such as the Deckel dial refurbishment. I'm glad I don't have to do it, a plus for the 13.

124145100 / Sandblasting Guns / Air Boy / Air Tools / Online catalogue / Endeavour Tools - Endeavour Tools

Bob.

Greg,

I have one of these. I had a go at using it once a fair while ago and my recollection of the event was that it was a pain in the neck. I was using garnet as media and realized that the lathe saddle I was trying to clean was going to take a long time. That long that I gave up and used paint stripper. The garnet went everywhere. The gun itself is quite a nice bit of gear, made in Denmark and cost about 50 bucks. The gun might be better suited to delicate work such as the Deckel dial refurbishment. I'm glad I don't have to do it, a plus for the 13.

Bob.
    Thanks Bob-I like Air Boy stuff very well. I wonder about the nozzle size as the glass media I'm planning on using is only 150 µm.

I had one of those tank sandblasters with the pressure fed gun. What a useless POS that was. I was so disgusted with it that I scrapped it rather than sell it. My conscience wouldn't let me handball it off.

Greg

Dave J Guest

Greg,

If you were going to do it outside why not lay out a large cheap blue tarpaulin and turn up the rear to form a backdrop. If the tarp was big enough, the blasting media would run out of puff and fall harmlessly onto the sheet facilitating collection and reuse. Just an idea.

Bob.
    I have done exactly that for years to reuse the sand but more so the glass. I find black builders plastic works better than cheap tarps because it's non porous and easily cleaned.
    When doing small things I use a cardboard box with a clear plastic taped to the top, 2 holes in the front for your hands and a hole for the rubber pick up hose and the air lead which come in together.
    Using one of these Samson guns would make it difficult to use in a box because it's so big, which is something to think about.

A friend of mine has a similar gun to the Sampson but it is gravity fed and seems to work OK but was a pain when it blocked up.
    The gun I have you only have to put your finger over the nozzle and it will blow the air back down the rubber hose to clear it out if it gets blocked.

In the link below is the type of gun I have, and the nozzles can easily be made on the lathe and they are also available to buy in ceramic. They are available at most places like auto stores and super cheap etc. I saw one at a market so for $15 so I bought it for a spare, but the one I have now has been going for around 15 years and it's still going strong though it is showing some wear inside.
    AIR SAND BLASTER KIT-Sandblaster Sandblasting Gun-Paint - eBay (item 390282882838 end time Feb-21-11 18:31:48 PST)

Dave

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123