Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aspirin good or bad?

I was reading the thread put up by rsser and someone mentioned that Aspirin could be replaced by a better product; which set me off wondering, dangerous I know.
    I take 1 Aspirin every day, on doctors advice but have read on the internet that some believe it does more harm than good.
    Does anyone have an opinion on this or some advice or experience or know of something that is a preferable substitute with little or no harmful side effects.
    Would be interesting to know how many of you take Aspirin on a daily basis.

I take several medications for Hypertension but I don't think the Aspirin is purely for the purpose of helping with my high blood pressure.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi John

Aspirin doesn't reduce blood pressure. It is used for thinning the blood and preventing clots. But the recommendation is 100ml of Aspirin but it is better to take either Astrix or Cartia because they are only 100ml dose and have a coating on them so that it doesn't dissolve until it gets into the intestine and irritate the stomach.

Aspirin is 300ml dose and even if you break them in half you're still gettin too big a dose.

Thanks Barry, I take the Astrix brand and same as you say its 100mg and supposed to be for thinning the blood but I've heard conflicting opinions on its side effects.
    Cheers John

Barry, I think you may have your measures a bit mixed up.

For blood thinning, the standard recommended dose of Aspirin is 100mg (as in milligram, or 1/1000 of a gram, a measure of weight). 100ml is millitres, or 1/1000 of a litre, a measure of volume.

100mg Aspirin is available over the counter as DBL Aspirin 100mg, in boxes of 112 tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by munruben View Post
    I take several medications for Hypertension but I don't think the Aspirin is purely for the purpose of helping with my high blood pressure.
    munruben is absolutely spot on.

Asprin prevents your platelets in your blood from clumping together therefore preventing clots accumulating which can cause strokes and heart attacks. As a Intensive Care Nurse of 15 years I think not taking Asprin is not a wise choice. Ultimately the best person to talk about this is your Doctor. The absolute last place to get advice on your health is the internet.

John I've been taking it for over 30 years and have had no side effects and I think the benefits far outweigh the side effects.

Too true Fred I was having a brain fade when I wrote that.

It was I who talked about asprin. Not for the reason you take it but as a pain killer. I mentioned it as being taken in large doses, not in the quantity you use. Yes as an anti clotting agent taken at the correct dose its fine. In meggadoses for long periods of time it is not. I have to take drugs that irritate the stomach and got Helicobacter an unpleasant little beast. My uncle almost died taking huge doses for hip joint pain. He burned a hole through to an artery in his gut.

Dear John,
    Quote Originally Posted by munruben View Post
    It's very useful in a couple of ways when it comes to high blood pressure, because it not only thins the blood - which enables the blood to be pumped around with less pressure and therefore less load on your heart - but it also acts as an "anti-coagulant" that makes it less likely for "clots" to develop in your bloodstream. The elimination of such clots can be crucial in the prevention of Ischaemic Attacks (ie. Strokes ), which are quite often the result of such blood-clots lodging somewhere in an artery or vessel supplying blood to the brain. No blood means no oxygen, which can quite quickly result in permanent damage to unsupplied brain-cells. And since a great many Strokes are also caused by the dislodging of solid cholesterol buildup that re-lodges in a blocking manner somewhere further downstream in the artery, the "thinning" effect of the aspirin causes less hydraulic drag to act on the artery-wall cholesterol - thus rendering it less likely to dislodge in the first place.

It does have the disadvantage, however, of making it a little more likely that you might alternatively suffer from an Aneurism (ie. a Brain-Haemmorage ), because your blood has become thinner, and is more able to force it's way through small ruptures in your arteries and vessels, but the decreased-blood-pressure "part of the deal" usually negates this tendency (as is evidenced by the fact that Aneurisms are quite uncommon compared to clot-type Strokes). Another potential disadvantage is a theoretically-increased likelihood of Stomach Ulcers - once again because the thinner blood is more able to percolate through the walls of even small blood-vessels. But you'd probably detect blood in your stool sooner or later if that was happening anyway.

In the event that you start having Transient Ischaemic Attacks (ie. TIA's - aka Ministrokes) in spite of being on a weak form of daily Aspirin like Cardiprin, your system could proably benefit from a higher dose, but the only real way I know of threading the abovementioned delicate needle of Aspirin's advantages v's disadvantages is to take a medication called "Asasantin SR", which is a "slow-release" capsule-form that provides a more constant presence of the medication throughout the whole course of the day, but still at a gentle level that decreases the accompanying risk of haemorrhage and/or ulcer.

I wouldn't fret too much, because the "once-a-day"-type Aspirin (eg. Cardiprin) that the doctor has probably got you on now, is substantially weaker tablet-for-tablet than the pain-killing variety (eg. Aspro Clear) - even though the instructions on the side of a box of the latter say that you can have up to 2 or 3 every 4hrs, towards a maximum of 12 in a 24hr period, for up to 1 week (that's a lot more Aspirin in your system than what one Cardiprin a day will amount to...)

As far as pain-killing goes, I'll take a couple of Aspro-Clear in a glass of water when I've got a splitting headache (luckily only once or twice a year ), and I generally find the stuff to be fast-acting and generally unbeatable. As for alternatives, you've got to watch-out for Codeine-type products, because some people can get constipated by them. Regarding Paracetamol, I wouldn't know how good it is because I don't think I've ever taken it.

Best Wishes,
    Batpig.

On the ABC's Health Report last year there was an interview with the author of a study on taking Aspirin. You may wish to read a transcript of the interview.
    The aspirin controversy - Health Report - 31 May 2010
    Mark

I heard an interview on ABC radio a few weeks ago with a researcher who had been studying the long term effects of asprin, and his bottom line was that the positive benefits so outweighed the negatives that he had started taking it himself. Of course, now I can't find a link to that particular study!

I use the daily asprin therapy to help prevent strokes, T IAs and other heart related problems. Not a guarantee but proven to reduce chances of these problems. I have read extensively on the recommended doses. The 'expert' advice is all over the board from very low dose to several aspirin daily. From my reading, I concluded that one half of an adult aspirin daily was good and not excessive. I have been doing this for about ten years with no ill side effects. At age 72 I have not had a stroke, TIA or heart attack. Not proof but good enough for me to continue. BTW, I take a generic no-name brand to save money. My son and daughter-in-law are both doctors, my wife a pharmacist and all agree that what I am doing is a good practice. My personal doctor agrees.

Hi Munruben,
    Just to let you know that there is a prescription medication that is a substitute for aspirin - it is called Plavic and does not have the side effects of aspirin. I suggest that you research it and discuss with your GP. Hope this helps, John M.

Quote Originally Posted by rrobor View Post
    It was I who talked about asprin. Not for the reason you take it but as a pain killer. I mentioned it as being taken in large doses, not in the quantity you use. Yes as an anti clotting agent taken at the correct dose its fine. In meggadoses for long periods of time it is not. I have to take drugs that irritate the stomach and got Helicobacter an unpleasant little beast. My uncle almost died taking huge doses for hip joint pain. He burned a hole through to an artery in his gut.
    This is very interesting. Thanks rrobor for qualifiying your post in the other thread. I was going to track the post down to quote you but I couldn't seem to find the paragraph that contained the bit I was referring to.
    Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by marker View Post
    On the ABC's Health Report last year there was an interview with the author of a study on taking Aspirin. You may wish to read a transcript of the interview.
    The aspirin controversy - Health Report - 31 May 2010
    Mark
    Thanks I will check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    I heard an interview on ABC radio a few weeks ago with a researcher who had been studying the long term effects of asprin, and his bottom line was that the positive benefits so outweighed the negatives that he had started taking it himself. Of course, now I can't find a link to that particular study!
    Probably the one that Marker has given above.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillit View Post
    Hi Munruben,
    Just to let you know that there is a prescription medication that is a substitute for aspirin - it is called Plavic and does not have the side effects of aspirin. I suggest that you research it and discuss with your GP. Hope this helps, John M.
    I will certainly do some research on this, thanks
    Cheers John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast