Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard View Post
    Hi Bob,

you're quite right and many thanks for the correction! It should have been 840 meters per minute instead of per second. I have edited it in the post above.

thanks and greetings

gerhard
    I recalculated mine and this time it turns out I was wrong. I now get 888 m/s so much closer to your (EDIT: Not quite right - read on!)

Here's a graph I worked out last year for different tooth count drive sprocket versus chain speed in MPH.

325, 367 and 404 are the different chains (367 is 3/8 chain)
    7, 8, 9, 10, 11 are the tooth counts on the drive sprocket.

The red cross is 7 pin 404 and it comes out to be 32 miles per hour which = 889 m/s [edit: this is wrong - read on]
    840 is close enough.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    I recalculated mine and this time it turns out I was wrong. I now get 888 m/s so much closer to your
    Bob, I think there is a little slip-up there and you meant metres per minute.
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by KevM View Post
    Bob, I think there is a little slip-up there and you meant metres per minute.
    ROFL - hoisted by my own cockiness!!! Love it!

Good to see someone else is checking.
    I haven't changed the post it but inserted an edit note to say it's not right.

My excuse is I have the concrete floor guys in the back yard laying the floor for my new shed and I have been diving off to check on what they are doing. The bad news is I stuffed up the floor levels, but the good news is I'm getting a 100 mm instead of a 75 mm floor (and at no extra cost!)

My excuse is I have the concrete floor guys in the back yard laying the floor for my new shed and I have been diving off to check on what they are doing. The bad news is I stuffed up the floor levels, but the good news is I'm getting a 100 mm instead of a 75 mm floor (and at no extra cost!)
    Generally only do 75mm slabs on paths around the house, you're lucky you stuffed up as I would never do less than 100mm on a shed slab.
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Edwards View Post
    and YES the last of the 090s had a proper chain brake mechanism as did the 076, when it was nearing the last of its lifetime.
    Another case of being mistaken? This has been discussed before on this forum and this time I cross checked with the 090 gurus on the arborist chainsaw site and no 090 has ever be produced with a chain brake mechanism.

But if you can post a picture of one I will change my mind.

The latter 076's do have a proper chain brake mechanism (I have one of these).

According to my Stihl dealer, the reason the 090 or 070 is no longer imported into australia has nothing to do with it being too heavy or no big trees left. These saws simply do not meet emissions or OHS (ie no chain brake) regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by KevM View Post
    Generally only do 75mm slabs on paths around the house, you're lucky you stuffed up as I would never do less than 100mm on a shed slab.
    I agree, but I have done a fair bit of concrete work and was using the old guide of 75 mm of concrete with steel reinforcing is nearly as effective at load bearing as 100 mm with no reinforcing.
    Access to this shed is via a narrow 50 m footpath so no vehicles are able to be driven onto this shed floor.
    The limited access also means the concrete has to be all wheel barrowed in and carting the extra inch of concrete in a barrow is a lot more work than carrying the reinforcing.

Anyway now its 100 mm and steel reinforced so it should be good.

Default two 090's on mill

Here are a couple of 090's on a GB 84" mill which I came across recently, we pulled the mill out from under a bench in a shipping container where it has been stored for quite a while, fueled the saws and started both after several goes.The saws had not been started in over 10 years and to my surprise ran very nicely.

Other than the oil and dirt on them which makes them look a bit used there is hardly a mark on either, no paint off on the underside either.
    I'm thinking about buying the whole setup - cheap cheap cheap.

Laurie
    Carlton chain; GB Forestry Equipment; GB standard & xtra long guide bars; custom milling chain; Trilink & Sabre chain & bars. 0413 392960

ROFL - hoisted by my own cockiness!!! Love it!

Good to see someone else is checking.
    Loved that Bob, outsmarted urself !!!!! picked that up straight away
    Carlton chain; GB Forestry Equipment; GB standard & xtra long guide bars; custom milling chain; Trilink & Sabre chain & bars. 0413 392960

Quote Originally Posted by Sawchain View Post
    Here are a couple of 090's on a GB 84" mill which I came across recently, we pulled the mill out from under a bench in a shipping container where it has been stored for quite a while, fueled the saws and started both after several goes.The saws had not been started in over 10 years and to my surprise ran very nicely.

Other than the oil and dirt on them which makes them look a bit used there is hardly a mark on either, no paint off on the underside either.
    I'm thinking about buying the whole setup - cheap cheap cheap.

Laurie
    That is a pretty sexy looking set up there Laurie - what do you reckon it all weighs?

Bob the whole setup would weigh somewhere around 42 ~ 45 kg , it's heavy.
    Lets put it another way, if you were to try and pick it up yourself you could slice washers off your ring.

Laurie

Looks a good set up , new bar? Dont know how you add fuel with the saws in the cut though ??? just envious Bob

Bob the whole setup would weigh somewhere around 42 ~ 45 kg , it's heavy.
    Lets put it another way, if you were to try and pick it up yourself you could slice washers off your ring.

Laurie
    Not that much heavier than my new (38kg) mill then

Now to get those "slices of ring" images out of my mind is gonna take some doing

Now to get those "slices of ring" images out of my mind is gonna take some doing
    Sri Bob, I thought that was a nice way of putting it.

Could have said ur rsole wud b hangin out

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Edwards View Post
    I have only had the pleasure of operating 2 090s and yes I can say they are the machine!!!

One I operated was one of a few that had the big bore option (yes bigger than 131.6cc) think it was almost 150 cc and yes they are completely different to todays saws they are all about torque and nothing about revs/hp (any good engine builder will tell you that hp is not the be all, TORQUE is king,) and the 090 had it in bucket fulls max revs 10000, full load revs about 8500. the 880, peak revs about 12500, max torque revs around 9500 but max torque is much lower. Even recently there was a post I was involved in where the seller was importing the 090 from brazil, the 880 magnum was selling for 2800 roughly and the 090 (new, with chainbrake) was about a buck change out of 4000. They are like a motorbike in your hands with a big chain and bar hanging out the front. If I could get one I would for a milling saw. THEY ARE A BIG MANS SAW, they are not something a jockey could use and were built for the lumberjacks of old!!!

Oh and the 3120 is a piece of carp and like all husky saws revs its a..hole off then bogs at the slightest amount of load in comparison to the stihl equivalent, which will generally reach its torque zone and just keep on lugging. This is what I like about the stihls over the huskies. you can load them up and they say "ok now I have to work" where the huskies say "NO I can't work that hard"

if the guys at stihl are listening they need to look at building something with the capacity of the old 090 in the weight range of the 880.

Sorry I have to say the opposite is the case for me when I compare the 088 magnum to the 3120 the husky leaves the 088 for dead so much so that I use the 3120 as my daily felling saw and leave the 088 in the ute to use as a boat anchor or a spare but haven't needed it for a spare since I got the husky

Sri Bob, I thought that was a nice way of putting it.

Could have said ur rsole wud b hangin out
    Well, that's how it definitely was when I was lifting 64 of those 72 kg limestone blocks when making the retaining wall for my shed.
    I got myself one of those black back braces/truss things - the same as the bunnings guys wear. Boy are they good. I'll be wearing that when I use the new mill.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast