Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Default WIP - Recycled Hardwood Bench

I've been watching Dan's, Groggy's and Kman's bench builds and decided it was time i stopped procrastinating and got stuck in. I'd been collecting bits of hardwood for a while with the intention of making a bench but hadn't really found much worth keeping when my BIL rang and said he was demolishing a house and did i want any hardwood. YES PLEASE.
    After a morning scavenging through the mountains of timber I came home with a trailer load of fairly rough sawn, extremely well seasoned hardwood. I didn't see the house standing so have no idea how old it was but all the wall studs were M&T'd into the top and bottom plates. You can see some of the tennons in the first photo. They don't build 'em like that any more.
    I spent a couple of days checking each bit of wood for nails and lucky i did because i found a couple as you can see in the second photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thanks to the baby sitting powers of the MIL I managed to get a couple of days in the shed.
    The legs were machined and cut to length, with a bit to spare. I'm sort of making this up as I go along.
    I then cut and machined the bits for the top. As you can see from the second photo the timber is a bit of a mixed bag but I quite like the varied look once it's all put together.
    I drilled the dog holes (last photo) and then glued the top in three sections. I'll run each section through the thicknesser before I do the final glue up. If i can handle the sections by myself.
    Although not quite on the scale of Groggy's bench, it's still pretty heavy. I'm guestimating the top at about 100kg.
    If they're too heavy for my little Ryobi thicknesser I'll flatten the top with handplanes. That will be ...interesting.

Nice score on the 'extremely well-seasoned' timber It's looking a real treat already

This is all getting a bit close to home, as you say Dan has one, now you, all on my doorstep I feel I may have to shortly trade up from my sheet of plywood with legs to one of these fancy benches.
    I won't rush into it though. Great job Tony, looking good.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Looking good. What a job on all those nails. Actually like the multi-colour look.

Keep us up to date.

Cheers
    Pops

Oh what fun
    another bench build
    Think I'll take a seat and watch
    The different coloured timbers look great
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Always love to watch a bench build.Nice collection of timber at the right price. Looking good.
    Bob

"If a man is after money, he's money mad; if he keeps it, he's a capitalist; if he spends it, he's a playboy; if he doesn't get it, he's a never-do-well; if he doesn't try to get it, he lacks ambition. If he gets it without working for it; he's a parasite; and if he accumulates it after a life time of hard work, people call him a fool who never got anything out of life."
    - Vic Oliver

Thanks for the comments everyone.
    Go on Claw, do it. I've still got heaps of timber

I forgot to mention that the bench is fully protected from evil influences as blood has been spilt.
    I was taking all the clamps out of their storage in preparation for glue up and I hooked them over the rafter....yes you can all see where this is going.....well one ended up falling and hitting me on the head. It was the 6 foot Jet as well. The biggest, heaviest clamp I own. A nice gash in the head complete with much blood. Dr MrsArcher pronounced that stitches were not required and I got back to work.

Thumbs up

A true case of blood, sweat and tears NC!!

I can see this is going to be one bench worth waiting for!

Now do as the good Dr. Said and get into it!

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    A true case of blood, sweat and tears NC!!
    I didn't cry I swear i didn't.

Well maybe a little bit. But it really hurt.

Lots of nails, nice job. I found that some idjit had used a stapler on one of my beams, they were hard to find as more often than not the bridge was twisted off and the legs were still in the timber.

As for the blood, sweat and tears....wait till the chisel work starts

Looking good NCA, love a bench build

I'm kinda' embarrassed by your apparent rapid progress I have to say. A 'couple of hours' and this is the result? Bugger.

Love the timbers, especially those legs. The mottled top will look awesome I reckon. Best of luck with it.
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    As for the blood, sweat and tears....wait till the chisel work starts
    Actually chisel work is a bit of a problem. I cut some practice M&Ts on the leg offcuts and i had to sharpen my chisels about 4 times. They're not very good. I've had a set on order from LN since August last year but I just can't get 'em. I'm a bit annoyed with LN Australia atm. Time to go elsewhere i think. Another forum member ordered direct from LN USA and had a set within a week. Cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by kman-oz View Post
    I'm kinda' embarrassed by your apparent rapid progress I have to say. A 'couple of hours' and this is the result? Bugger.
    Huh, actually the nail pulling was last year and the legs were machined a couple of weeks ago. I only got so much done on the weekend because of the awesome babysitting powers of the MIL. There might be a bit of a gap until more significant progress is made but i'm just following the example of more experienced forum members

Quote Originally Posted by NCArcher View Post
    Actually chisel work is a bit of a problem. I cut some practice M&Ts on the leg offcuts and i had to sharpen my chisels about 4 times. They're not very good. I've had a set on order from LN since August last year but I just can't get 'em. I'm a bit annoyed with LN Australia atm. Time to go elsewhere i think. Another forum member ordered direct from LN USA and had a set within a week. Cheaper too.
    What about this set of 5 on ebay at the moment.
    Kev

I saw those Kev and i was very tempted but i need a set of bevel edged. Hmmm...they are nice...not long to go...no no no.
    I was intending to buy a BE set and add a couple of mortice chisels when i could afford it.
    But they are cheap as long as they go for close to the current price....no. NO

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast