Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Another timber thread....sorry

Hi all,

I'm going to build myself my first bench. Anyone know where I can find "affordable" hardwood suitable for the frame in Sydney?

I've been looking around for salvage yards and recycling places online, but I cant find anything. Do such places exist?

I don't have a thicknesser, but can have stuff dressed if I guarantee them there are no nails

If all else fails I'll build it out of tassie oak, but thats not exactly cheap.

I live in Hornsby, North Shore Timber sell this pencil edged 2x4 black butt that isn't bad, but I cant laminate it because of the edges....any other suggestions? I'll probably want up to 240ish x 45 - still finalising plans

Happy to go north to coast or Newcastle is needed. Also going to Forster later in the year, so I could bring it back from that neck of the woods if needed

Cheers,
    Peter

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default hardwood

Mal at Boutique Timbers will be delivering to Sydney end January.
    He has a whole range of 50mm or 40mm thick boards, as well as 100x100 legs. qld maple, jarrah, blackwood, brushbox, flooded gum, red gum, blue gum blackbutt.. plus other stuff I can't remember. He can thickness if necessary as well and drop off for a small charge
    Check the Boutique Timber web site, and send him your cutting list to [email protected] and he'll give you a quote.
    Or call him on 0416 097827
    Regards
    Greg

As you are in Hornsby it is quite a drive to Marrickville where Reverse Garbage are located and in the same complex the Bower. Not just wood but all manner of craft so you might find a plastic tub that you want to use for cleaning rust from metal.

As they are not just wood they may not have the sizes that you are after.

This is a bit of a hike but he had lots of useful and dry well seasoned timber. I'm not sure he got many takers

I picked up a little bit and need to put through a thicknesser but could be worth your while giving him a bell

link
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Blacktown is no problem. I'm happy to go pretty much anywhere to get something good.

I may have found a cheap source of F27 (might be 17, need to find out) kiln dried blackbutt. Its 35 x 90.....with pencil edge....grr

With this type of structural hardwood, I assume I'd need to run it through a thicknesser before I could laminate it on the 90 side?

I bought all my timber from Trend Timbers in Windsor about 1 hour from hornsby very helpful place and afforable they worth a try..