Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The Tiwi art is quite extraordinary, we are the proud owners of two artefacts one a pelican the other a magpie both stand out pieces and very distinctive in style. Other indigenous art that is worth checking out is that of New Guinea particularly shields and masks.......I Googled images of Bentwood boxes and was amazed at the collection, have not checked it out for Oz indigenous as yet. Thanks for the "post"on Bentwood Boxes RV.
    Kerry

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I've discovered that the term "bentwood" applies to the boxes here in the PacNWest. So I decided to Google "kerf-bent boxes". I was wrong. The rest of the world likes to use the term kerf-bent.

Part way down the first page of my listings is the Fine Woodworking book(?) of 35 projects . . . . . . .Anyway, one article reprinted in full is the long & detailed piece by Susan Davidson from 1980. That's the definitive work if you or anyone else would like to have a go at it.

I visited two sawmills today, another one tomorrow. Trying to find radial slabs of cedar for box making. Not going to happen. The old growth logs are long gone. In all probability, I can get clear wood to make boxes no more than 6"/15cm high. On the positive side, my hand-forged froe for slab splitting is in the capable hands of Canada Post (& Storage). Who knows? It might actually get here.

Another point: You can always plane a slab thinner but you can't add missing wood. I've discovered that the slabs must be split from the top (of the tree) downwards. I suppose I have a 50/50 chance of getting it right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12